Sponsored by:

Damned AC buttons-- a fix???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2019, 04:56 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
These aren't classic air cooled Porsches so I disagree that values drop with things like HVAC switches that don't look like originals, especially if they look better than originals.

For examples:
  1. if someone like Rennline made anodized aluminum versions of these HVAC toggles with their precision machining, who here wouldn't rather have a high quality, highly durable, metal piece in place of a crappy plastic one - I would. Anything that's an improvement to the original design, doesn't detract from the value on a 997.
  2. Is my car worth less because it has braided stainless brake lines that will now last the life of the car, not rupture, not internally swell and limit the fluid flow, like the original rubber ones would now that they're 14 years old - I don't think so.
  3. Is a 997 worth less if it has Function First metal shifter cable ends that won't fatigue and break over time like the OEM plastic ones will and do, stranding you on the side of the road - I don't think so.
  4. And the most exteme case - is a 997 with an original IMS bearing that's prone to fail and takeout the entire motor worth more than one that has been properly upgraded - I don't think so.
Porsche can't afford to make things as good as they could possibly be as the cars would be so far out of reach that the sales numbers would plummet. They have to compromise here and there with good enough, but once a deficiency is identified and an owner goes to the trouble and expense of correcting that deficiency, I for one would much rather use an upgraded part than one that was made the same way and will have the same problems as the OEM part, wouldn't you.

Those toggles in the last photo with the smooth finish are the ones you should have decided to manufacture. That's what the MA Carbon ones I have installed in my car look more like and they are nicer to touch than the grainy plastic finish of the originals.

Hello Pete,

I have to disagree. While some modern Porsche models can handle a bit of tuning (specially Caymans) other models like 997 Turbo, GT3, GT2, 4S, etc. will devaluate if they are not 100% OEM. This is specially remarkable in Europe (I know the US market is more permissive with non original equipment), but here in Europe a 997 Turbo with aftermarket coils and aftermarket rear lights will sell a 10%-20% cheaper than a 100% stock unit, no matter if the coils are better than the OEMs. Why? Because original coils work fine, and original rear lights work fine too. IMS bearing is another story, nobody wants to brake the engine so an aftermarket piece in this case makes sense.

All the examples you have are from non visible parts. The toggles are visible, so its a different thing.

Important no note that our Climarepair Revolution switches look like the originals but won't peel off like the originals.

Best regards,
John
Old 02-10-2019, 05:14 PM
Arctic997
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will give credit to Climarepair for these new Revolution switches. I recieved mine on Wednesday.

The part is clearly injection molded, and not 3D printed, which is nice.

The finish is OEM equivalent or better. Actually perfect. It's a smoother finish than the Sport, PASM, PSM, PSE etc. switches on the lower console below the HVAC control, but not quite as smooth as the buttons on the factory PCM(Yes, there is a difference. I had never noticed this difference between the two finishes of the factory buttons/ switches before, but I'd never before inspected them with a magnifying glass and a high output light source either). The Temp font/ kerning and Fan icon are very clean, crisp, and well placed.

The fit is well engineered. No gaps or funny fitment issues. They snapped into place and look factory or better.

They are slicker to the touch than original, but I was expecting that as it's not a rubberized finish.

I can't comment on durability because I just installed them.

So, as it stands, I'm satisfied.
Old 02-10-2019, 05:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Climarepair.com
Hello Pete,

I have to disagree. While some modern Porsche models can handle a bit of tuning (specially Caymans) other models like 997 Turbo, GT3, GT2, 4S, etc. will devaluate if they are not 100% OEM. This is specially remarkable in Europe (I know the US market is more permissive with non original equipment), but here in Europe a 997 Turbo with aftermarket coils and aftermarket rear lights will sell a 10%-20% cheaper than a 100% stock unit, no matter if the coils are better than the OEMs. Why? Because original coils work fine, and original rear lights work fine too. IMS bearing is another story, nobody wants to brake the engine so an aftermarket piece in this case makes sense.

All the examples you have are from non visible parts. The toggles are visible, so its a different thing.

Important no note that our Climarepair Revolution switches look like the originals but won't peel off like the originals.

Best regards,
John
A different suspension is quite a bit different than a couple of HVAC switches.

If you're telling me that for an $80,000 997 Turbo that someone has put led taillights on that I can get it at an $8,000-$10,000 discount for the cost of a set of $300 OEM taillights, I'd buy every one I could find and start a new business. Sorry, but that's ridiculous.
Old 02-10-2019, 06:28 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

So the Clima crap has been grainy on purpose all this time cause that's what concours judges will be looking for. Riiiiigggghhtt.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:25 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by cosm3os
So the Clima crap has been grainy on purpose all this time cause that's what concours judges will be looking for. Riiiiigggghhtt.

My reply to your message is this user message, enjoy it:

Originally Posted by Arctic997
I will give credit to Climarepair for these new Revolution switches. I recieved mine on Wednesday.

The part is clearly injection molded, and not 3D printed, which is nice.

The finish is OEM equivalent or better. Actually perfect. It's a smoother finish than the Sport, PASM, PSM, PSE etc. switches on the lower console below the HVAC control, but not quite as smooth as the buttons on the factory PCM(Yes, there is a difference. I had never noticed this difference between the two finishes of the factory buttons/ switches before, but I'd never before inspected them with a magnifying glass and a high output light source either). The Temp font/ kerning and Fan icon are very clean, crisp, and well placed.

The fit is well engineered. No gaps or funny fitment issues. They snapped into place and look factory or better.

They are slicker to the touch than original, but I was expecting that as it's not a rubberized finish.

I can't comment on durability because I just installed them.

So, as it stands, I'm satisfied.
Old 02-17-2019, 05:28 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Petza914
A different suspension is quite a bit different than a couple of HVAC switches.

If you're telling me that for an $80,000 997 Turbo that someone has put led taillights on that I can get it at an $8,000-$10,000 discount for the cost of a set of $300 OEM taillights, I'd buy every one I could find and start a new business. Sorry, but that's ridiculous.

Hello Pete,

I'm just telling you how is the European market. If you have the original parts then is not a problem, but for instance, a friend of mine had a very well maintained 997 Turbo (manual trans, which is more desired) but had the GT3 front bumper grill installed... No body wanted to buy that car, car was for sale for over 5 months, only a couple low balers... He took the chance and bought a second hand OEM front bumper, painted and installed it. Then he took new pictures and... voilá, car sold in 5 weeks.

And there are many, many examples like this.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:49 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Default Installation Available

Its hard to come up with new and unique post topics on this thread... but I think this one is slightly different. If just a little!
This week we had a customer from Arizona send his unit in to us to do the swap. Though we have instructions on our website (and you can see Clim's video on you tube etc) the customer didn't want to bother with that step. So we dissembled the unit, cleaned it, installed the buttons and sent it back. We charged him a half hour for the work. Shipping is a little higher than if we just send the buttons but for some this may be a good solution. Though for most, the biggest effort is getting the darn unit out of the dash!

I actually have 15+ AC unit carcasses sitting on the shelf. We considered sending out full units at one point but with no way to test them here (I don't have a 997, just a bunch of 70s Mercedes SLs) it wasn't really something we could offer with full confidence. So if anyone needs some buttons or an undamaged face plate, let me know.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:49 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks good! I was getting tired of the monthly touch up routine with Sharpies.
There’s a hole in my dash waiting for this ��. Thank you for the quick turn-around.

todd
07 C2S cab
09 957 GTS
08 BMW K1200GT
Old 02-28-2019, 12:51 PM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Looks great! Thank you for the good work and one-day turnaround, John.

Todd
07 c2s cab
09 957 GTS
08 BMW K1200GT
Old 02-28-2019, 01:02 PM
MAcarbon
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by CrossT
Looks good! I was getting tired of the monthly touch up routine with Sharpies.
There’s a hole in my dash waiting for this ��. Thank you for the quick turn-around.
todd
Todd,
Thanks for the pic. I re-read my post and I think it seemed to blast you a little for having me do the assembly. Not my intention. It was more to say we offer the service if anyone needed/wanted it.

Thanks for using MAcarbon. And glad that's one annoyance off your list!

John
Old 02-28-2019, 01:12 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 444 Likes on 161 Posts

Thx for supporting the 997 community @MAcarbon!
Old 03-05-2019, 11:08 AM
CrossT
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MAcarbon
Todd,
Thanks for the pic. I re-read my post and I think it seemed to blast you a little for having me do the assembly. Not my intention. It was more to say we offer the service if anyone needed/wanted it.

Thanks for using MAcarbon. And glad that's one annoyance off your list!

John
Not to worry at all, John. I didn’t take your post negatively at all. Normally, I do like to do this kind of work, but as we discussed on the phone, while recouping from work on my knee, this seemed like the best and quickest for me right now.

Thanks
todd
09 957 GTS
07 C2S cab
08 BMW K1200GT
Old 05-16-2019, 04:24 PM
Climarepair.com
Former Sponsor

Hello there!

just wanted to share a few pictures some customers are sending us.

This is from a client in Australia, he bought our Climarepair Revolution switches for his 2006 Porsche Carrera S and he is sending a before/after comparison:

Name:  FofDpsQ.jpg
Views: 62
Size:  591.0 KB

Name:  5oWYXjp.jpg
Views: 64
Size:  915.8 KB

And this is from a customer in Germany, he sent us this picture of his 2006 GT3 ClubSport. His switches were sent three days ago so he is probably installing them tonight or tomorrow, will post pictures as soon as he sends it to us

Name:  SU47sHV.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  366.9 KB

Best regards!
Old 08-13-2019, 09:53 PM
dma550
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just read through this whole thread now that I am getting a car that needs this fix. I was hoping someone would have made a billet anodized set by now. Whats the current status on AC button repairs?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:59 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 743 Likes on 425 Posts

^^^ If you want a no forum drama based quick solution, just do MA Carbon and don't read all this BS.

Quick Reply: Damned AC buttons-- a fix???