Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2016, 02:20 AM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
That's very unfortunate and I am sorry you had to go through that. I got my transmission flushed and inspected at around 52K miles, which was good because the old fluid started to discolor. I don't know what kind of driving you do but for me the transmission has been reliable.
I had mine flushed and inspected, new filter, gaskets, etc at 43k by a different shop and now I have to consider if that shop screwed it up... though part of me feels that doesn't make sense since the car was driving great for the next 5k and then the trans just let go.

I just got an email and the car will be ready for me to pick up tomorrow afternoon...but I'm busy so I'll get it Thursday morning. What really pisses me is how long the car has been off the road. Overall, 30 days. I started driving in 1958 and I've owned a lot of cars and put over half of them on one kind of track or another...and I've never been off the road for more than a week...ever...max. Fact is, I just don't have the patience for that. So maybe I bought the wrong car...for me. I'll see how I feel after I drive it...
Old 10-05-2016, 03:37 PM
go.illini
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
My Tiptronic crapped out on my 2001 boxster at 190,000 km. I was told tiptronics were built proof. Clearly not this one.
Is is just me or does 190,000 km (118,000 miles) seem pretty good? Did the fluids ever get changed?
Old 10-05-2016, 05:10 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by go.illini
Is is just me or does 190,000 km (118,000 miles) seem pretty good? Did the fluids ever get changed?
I don't think that's good. I hope to get at least 200,000 miles out of my Tip.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:27 PM
ramo80
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by go.illini

Well I was told in other forums that the tranny was suppose to outlast the engine. Specially with the IMS issue. There aren't many cases of failed tips out there. I was just lucky. What's funny is that a few month before it failed I called the dealership and asked when/if I should get the tranny oil changed and they said WELLLLL Porsche initially said that the oil should last the life of the vehicle. They revised that and you should probably come around the 240K-250K km mark and we'll do a flush for ya. I don't think the fluid had anything to do with the failure to be honest. I was told the pump just crapped out and the gears burnt out at that point.

Its my favorite thing in the world when a mechanic or any other car guys say the following about my mechanical problems.

"Welp...... I have never seen that before"
Old 10-06-2016, 04:34 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ramo80
Well I was told in other forums that the tranny was suppose to outlast the engine. Specially with the IMS issue. There aren't many cases of failed tips out there. I was just lucky. What's funny is that a few month before it failed I called the dealership and asked when/if I should get the tranny oil changed and they said WELLLLL Porsche initially said that the oil should last the life of the vehicle. They revised that and you should probably come around the 240K-250K km mark and we'll do a flush for ya. I don't think the fluid had anything to do with the failure to be honest. I was told the pump just crapped out and the gears burnt out at that point.

Its my favorite thing in the world when a mechanic or any other car guys say the following about my mechanical problems.

"Welp...... I have never seen that before"
I was told by a Porsche mechanic that the IMS issue was most prominent in the early M96 engines and was greatly improved with the M97 but further more, M97 engines with Tip have never suffered IMS failure. Don't know if it's true but it sounded good to me.
Old 10-06-2016, 04:36 PM
snethss
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Super Happy with the Tip.
There are definitely occasions where i would prefer the Manual. I wouldn't trust someone that says otherwise; however, There are also times where i wish my manuals were a Tip. I sat in rush hour about a dozen times on my motorcycle, and that is just a forearm workout.

Really, i just wish there was a way to spruce up the Gear Selector of the Tip. It looks so boring.
Old 10-07-2016, 01:03 PM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must be the only person in the forum who was given a choice between Tip and PDK but ultimately picked Tip. My reasons are simple

+ From a dead stop, Tip shifts significantly smoother than PDK (997.2 was the one I test drove, not the 991). This is very important for the Mrs.

+ Tip has a long history of withstanding abuse. It's still the only choice when off-road and heavy towing are required. According to Porsche engineers, PDK was not suitable for Cayenne because it can't handle the torque associated with towing/off-roading. My last two vehicles left me because of transmission problems. I don't want my 911 follows the foot step.

+ At the time of my decision, PDK had/has a no-service reputation. The only fix is replacement as no one knows how to fix/service the beast. I want something that is well understood.

Things that I really like about PDK:

+ Revmatch. The 800 RPM gap on the Tip is annoying when shift manually.

+ Sport mode is significantly "sportier" than the Tip in sport mode.

I didn't regret my choice between Tip/PDK. I do regret not getting a Turbo (vs the S. I didn't know about the Mezger is nolonger in newer 911 at the time).

BTW, I also really dislike the shifting buttons. Give the shift paddle and I am all set. $$ was not a major discriminator at the time.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:26 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by snethss
There are definitely occasions where i would prefer the Manual. I wouldn't trust someone that says otherwise; however, There are also times where i wish my manuals were a Tip. I sat in rush hour about a dozen times on my motorcycle, and that is just a forearm workout.

Really, i just wish there was a way to spruce up the Gear Selector of the Tip. It looks so boring.
I'm coming back into the fold...slowly. On the upshift the tip is much faster shifting than a manual, and on the down shift while not as sexy as the PDK, it is 90% there. Neither PDK or tip let you feel as connected to the car as a manual...but living in LA can turn a manual into a ball and chain. ChronoSport or a turbo gives the tip a real performance boost. But my plain jane 3.4 enjoys the revs quite nicely. I'm still going to drive some more manuals before I settle on what I hope will be a keeper. If it is tip, I'll be hard pressed to sell the car I have just put $6k into.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:12 PM
AreaOne
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by snethss

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...ther-boot.html

Quick Reply: Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?