Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 12:53 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?

I read everywhere people criticizing the tiptronic transmission despite the fact that the Tip has been with Porsche for a long time and has proven itself for being really reliable. I have driven manual transmission vehicles including Porsches and yes they are loads of fun but when selecting my 911 I put on the top of my list that I wanted an automatic (Not negotiable).

I enjoy driving my 911 C2S Tip and get a lot of pleasure when carving through corners. You just have to learn how the transmission acts. Yes, I have driven the PDK and almost purchased a Cayman PDK but opted for my current car (will get PDK in the future). Obviously there are a few things I don't like about the Tiptronic but for the most part the pros out weigh the cons.

Does anyone else enjoy driving their Tiptronic transmission?
Old 10-03-2016, 01:03 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

No, you are the only one

If you like an automatic at least get a pdk
Old 10-03-2016, 01:15 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I've never driven a car with Tiptronic but I can say that I've driven other performance cars with slushboxes and my PDK blows them all out of the water.

I guess it would be good to prefer the Tip. You'll be one of the few buyers out there who prefers that over the PDK or manual transmission. More cars for you to choose from at a lower price!
Old 10-03-2016, 01:16 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

I like the tiptronic on the 997, it simply does what you tell it to do.

If your enjoy the feel of the tiptronic, you will really like owning the PDK, it's hands down the best shifting, tenacious under full throttle, but docile around town, it's always refreshing.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:16 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Old 10-03-2016, 01:18 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Smitten, that made me laugh out loud. My secretary asked me why I was laughing and I told her that she wouldn't get it. So, she assumed I was looking at something off-color and then I had to show her.

She didn't get it.

I'm still laughing.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:20 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've driven both Tip and PDK. In automatic mode the Tip was perfectly fine for my everyday driving, and I don't do track. Selecting manually, the PDK was noticeably different than the Tip, but I would not ever do it manually given the transmission could do it just as well by itself. I like an automatic in a luxury vehicle, but that's not what I got a Porsche for. If I could not drive a manual I would not own a Porsche. But there are other compelling reasons to choose the PDK I think, not the least of which is the DFI engine in all PDK cars, which seems not to be plagued with the M96/7 issues.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:22 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I loved my tiptronic until it crapped out at 48k miles. Had to decide between buying a rebuilt and hoping they did it right or buying a used box and hoping Porsche did it right. Went with the used box and we will see how happy I am when I get the car back on Wednesday. I'm leaning towards eating the cost and selling the car and going back to a manual. I believe PDK is a great gear box... until it isn't. The less electricals in a car the better. You'll all become believers when the next large solar flare hits...or MPB.
Old 10-03-2016, 01:48 PM
ronvanr
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

Love my tiptronic. I live in the city, lots of stop and go traffic, so I'm very happy with the automatic. the PDK cars were still out of my price range at the time I purchased my car. If I ever win the lottery, I'll certainly upgrade. Since it's more difficult to shift into the wrong gear with a tiptronic, I wonder if you have less chance for an overrev compared to manual?

Smitten, loved your diagram.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Iceter
Drifting

I don't think the PDK will let you overrev unless you're in Sport Plus. Someone more knowledgeable than I can chime in if that's incorrect.
Old 10-03-2016, 02:22 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

the tip is just fine, the only improvement is the pdk
Old 10-03-2016, 02:23 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vern1
No, you are the only one

If you like an automatic at least get a pdk
Did you answer "No" because you currently have a Tiptronic?
Old 10-03-2016, 02:45 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

The only thing I see wrong with the Tiptronic is the very fact that Porsche started selling cars with PDK. Suddenly after the PDK hit the market, the tiptronic was a POS but before that, Porsche built and sold a **** ton of Tips all over the world.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:16 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
Yes, I have driven the PDK and almost purchased a Cayman PDK but opted for my current car (will get PDK in the future).
Well, you won't have a choice to buy a tiptronic in the future....unless you buy a "vintage" car in the future! Porsche made the decision for you already.

Not to digress, but which oil should I use....LOL
Old 10-03-2016, 03:16 PM
TECNO
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I DD mine and the Tiptronic works just fine for me. Manual in traffic is overrated.

Quick Reply: Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?