Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 12:57 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

To add to this theme, I also prefer an automatic mechanical watch to the mini ipad watches we see everyone wear now are so boring and stark

Originally Posted by Valkuri
I shoot a .45 1911 made >70 years ago; my favorite rifle is a Martini-Henry .577-.450, made in 1887.
I wear tasseled loafers that haven't been cutting edge since the 1950's.
I collect old books. REALLY old books (if it hit the stands after 1700, I'm not really that interested).
I have a rotary dial phone on my home office desk.
And I drive a manual C4S.

If I wanted pure efficiency, I'd have a Glock and nylon Adidas and a Kindle and live on my iPhone 7 (ok, I use my iPhone 6 quite a bit…). When I'm facing a long haul or sustained city driving: the Land Rover.

Nobody in their right mind buys a Porsche because it's the ideal all-around car. That's what Nissan Altimas are for (or, so I'd imagine). I don't want a vehicle that everyone likes---nor, frankly, that everyone can drive. PDK is infinitely better at selecting the right gear at the right time, than I will ever be. And, so what.

If you enjoy your Tiptronic or PDK, God love you. Clearly superior mechanical devices.
I prefer three pedals and six gears. Reverse snobbery? Perhaps. But harmless snobbery, if so.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:09 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think all Porsches whether they are old, new, auto, manual, fast or slow, deserve an owner who is going to take care of them, drive them and enjoy them. God knows there are plenty of perfectly good used Porsches sitting in dealerships around the world waiting for their rightful owner to come and claim them. If the Tiptronic S is the black sheep of the 997 generation than so be it, I will drive it until the wheels fall off and then I will get a PDK or whatever crazy contraption Porsche comes up with in the future. I must say that I am really impressed with the driving dynamics of my 911 and in stop and go traffic I sit comfy in my sport bucket seats.
Old 10-04-2016, 03:43 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH
I also prefer an automatic mechanical watch
Real time-tellers stick with traditional methods.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:25 PM
red carrera
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I've got an 06 'S with a manual and an 08 4S with the Tip. My wife and I test drove the 09 4S with PDK and it was a "slam, bam, whuck" around town and felt about the same on the highway. We then drove the 08 Tip and it much better sorted. I'll track my S but the 4S is just for cruising and bad weather trips.

I'm sure the later PDK's were smoothed out with upgrades, but the early ones left a lot to be desired if it wasn't just gonna' be a track day tool.

I drive the manual when I want to be involved and the Tip when I've got my wife and dogs in the car for a leisurely drive.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:12 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by frankyluis23
How much does it cost to replace?
So far its about $5000. Would have been ready a week ago but a cable broke when taking the trans out, and they didn't realize it until they were ready to put it back in. They went through Porsche for another cable (chasis specific as they did 3 versions of it) and it took about 12 days to get here and that was on a rush. In the mean time I got so mad waiting I went and found five of them in the US at one used parts company and they could have fed exed it overnight. So a good seven to ten days of the car sitting in the shop because they didn't look hard enough...which gives me pause about ever using the shop again. The replacement trans itself was $1900 from LADismantler...the rest is labor, smaller parts, fluids, BS and all that other stuff. The worst part is that this great piece of modern technology dumped on me at only 48k miles. Definitely my last auto trans.
Old 10-04-2016, 05:59 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnireland
So far its about $5000. Would have been ready a week ago but a cable broke when taking the trans out, and they didn't realize it until they were ready to put it back in. They went through Porsche for another cable (chasis specific as they did 3 versions of it) and it took about 12 days to get here and that was on a rush. In the mean time I got so mad waiting I went and found five of them in the US at one used parts company and they could have fed exed it overnight. So a good seven to ten days of the car sitting in the shop because they didn't look hard enough...which gives me pause about ever using the shop again. The replacement trans itself was $1900 from LADismantler...the rest is labor, smaller parts, fluids, BS and all that other stuff. The worst part is that this great piece of modern technology dumped on me at only 48k miles. Definitely my last auto trans.
That's very unfortunate and I am sorry you had to go through that. I got my transmission flushed and inspected at around 52K miles, which was good because the old fluid started to discolor. I don't know what kind of driving you do but for me the transmission has been reliable.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:08 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Okay if you had to choose between the following, which would you choose?

1. Aston Martin Vantage V8, Automatic
2. Ford Mustang GT, Automatic
3. Chevy Camaro, Automatic
4. Chevy Corvette, Automatic
5. Porsche 911, Automatic (Tiptronic)
Old 10-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Why exclude the Jaguar F-Type and the Maserati Gran Turismo from the list?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Valkuri
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I also prefer an automatic mechanical watch
Forgot about that.
Breitling SuperOcean 'daily driver'; Illinois manual or (later) automatic, and Baume Mercier manual chronograph for special occasions.

Batteries are for flashlights.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:17 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

6. Ford Focus, manual
Old 10-04-2016, 06:36 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Depends - which one will sell the fastest?
Old 10-04-2016, 06:43 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Geezus! You two (Smitten and Vern1) are way too stubborn. Is it really that impossible for you both to show just a little love to the almighty Tip? Come on, just the tip. LOL.
Old 10-04-2016, 06:58 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

That's what she said
Old 10-04-2016, 08:45 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Geezus! You two (Smitten and Vern1) are way too stubborn. Is it really that impossible for you both to show just a little love to the almighty Tip? Come on, just the tip. LOL.
If the Tip was all I could get, I'd make the most of it.

Old 10-04-2016, 10:19 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Where did you get that information?
From Panorama, some time ago, the printed edition. I can dig it up if I get some time. This is the only reference I could find on the net and it 60:40 mt:tip for 2008 but that's from cars.com sample:

http://www.planet-9.com/automotive-o...dk-trends.html

I did a quick search on autotrader.com for 2005-2007 911s manual vs tiptronic for sale and it's 356:166 (68:32) so that disputes me as well. Maybe I remember wrong.

It might be interesting to have a poll here on rennlist.

Quick Reply: Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?