Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:21 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 3Series
Well, you won't have a choice to buy a tiptronic in the future....unless you buy a "vintage" car in the future! Porsche made the decision for you already.

Not to digress, but which oil should I use....LOL
Wow, you're a creative type.
Old 10-03-2016, 03:44 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

We are sports cars enthusiasts, and no matter what technology throws at us, no matter what the performance numbers look like, and no matter how much sense automatics make when driving in any sort of traffic, there will always, ALWAYS be a negative stigma surrounding an automatic in a sports car.

That said, I have owned plenty of manual sports cars, a PDK equipped 997.2 C2, and now I own a Tiptronic equipped 997 Turbo. Maybe I'm getting soft, but the necessity to have a 6 speed is largely gone for me. They are downright annoying in traffic. Yes, it is fun ripping through a back road, rev matching and changing gears. Yes, it feels more "engaging." But a.) it is not like I get to do that very often (because I value my life and my driving record), and b.) it is still PLENTY of fun driving hard in an automatic, allowing you to focus more of throttle control and driving lines, and still having the ability to "shift" when you want with paddles or levers.

The fact that tiptronic equipped 997 Turbos run about $5K-$7500 less than similarly optioned manual 997 Turbos is a bonus as well. And yes, I actually drove a manual 997 Turbo before buying my Tip. While fun, I did not see it being worth the price difference to be honest.

Finally, I do agree that the PDK is the best of both worlds. Driving one of those in Sport+ and full manual mode is every bit as fun as a traditional 6sp in my opinion. My next Porsche (assuming I don't just keep this one forever) will have a PDK.
Old 10-03-2016, 04:50 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 363 Likes on 224 Posts

For those of us that track our cars PDK is by far the best option..

That's why I ended up with a PDK C4S 2 years ago and not a 997.1 tiptronic with slush box.
BTW it is at least a 7500 if not more (10,000 what I saw) difference on low mileage turbo's.
enough to keep me out of buying a manual Turbo and going with the PDK C4S at that time.

Being brutally honest... a Slushbox is what kept me out of a new c6 z51 corvette. PDK blew my mind....
Old 10-03-2016, 06:03 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

PDK is not just the best option for tracking but also for daily driving, agreed.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:28 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by johnireland
I loved my tiptronic until it crapped out at 48k miles. Had to decide between buying a rebuilt and hoping they did it right or buying a used box and hoping Porsche did it right. Went with the used box and we will see how happy I am when I get the car back on Wednesday. I'm leaning towards eating the cost and selling the car and going back to a manual. I believe PDK is a great gear box... until it isn't. The less electricals in a car the better. You'll all become believers when the next large solar flare hits...or MPB.
Aren't you the guy who tried to convince the world that the Tiptronic offered virtually the same performance as a PDK and was more reliable too?
Old 10-03-2016, 08:51 PM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

PDK is not just the best option for tracking but also for daily driving, agreed.
True, if you're happy with less than the full driving experience that could have been available to you.

The PDK is an engineering marvel, and can deliver better track times than a manual tranny, but just because a car is a DD doesn't mean I want to give up some driving pleasure that I could have had.

Real racers drive double clutch gearboxes because it makes them faster. Real drivers go for manual gearboxes because they can. Until we can't. Then we'll be forced to go PDK. If a physical disability forced me into a Tiptronic, I'd drive it and enjoy it but in my dreams at night I'd still be shifting.
Old 10-03-2016, 08:55 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

yep, your alone. But don't feel bad, some guys like fat chicks
Old 10-03-2016, 09:36 PM
door2416
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Since I don't track my car I'll take the Tip in manual mode and stuff the extra cash in my wallet.( you all can have the extra couple of tenths of a second per shift if that's what you are into) I'm still driving a 911.
Old 10-03-2016, 09:57 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Smitten
True, if you're happy with less than the full driving experience that could have been available to you.

The PDK is an engineering marvel, and can deliver better track times than a manual tranny, but just because a car is a DD doesn't mean I want to give up some driving pleasure that I could have had.

Real racers drive double clutch gearboxes because it makes them faster. Real drivers go for manual gearboxes because they can. Until we can't. Then we'll be forced to go PDK. If a physical disability forced me into a Tiptronic, I'd drive it and enjoy it but in my dreams at night I'd still be shifting.
Trust me I get it and I admire your passion and desire for the full driving experience. When I was shopping around for my DD, I had a ton of cars that fell in my budget of $35k to $45k. I drove the Mercedes E350, BMW 3 series, Cayman PDK, Audi A6, Corvette, SLK350 and several more but I really truly enjoyed the Porsche C2S Tip which I drove and immediately fell in love with. Call me crazy but I when compared to the other cars I test drove, my 2007 C2S Tip was exactly what I was looking for. I am not a professional drive nor do I have a desire to be. If you need to shift gears in order to enjoy driving a 911 than maybe you should reconsider why you own a 911 in the first place.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:09 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

This quote makes NO sense
Originally Posted by frankyluis23
Trust me I get it and I admire your passion and desire for the full driving experience.
when followed up by this one....

If you need to shift gears in order to enjoy driving a 911 than maybe you should reconsider why you own a 911 in the first place.
What does that even mean? You do know a HUGE reason the 911R and the GT4 are big hits right now, don't you? So we should rethink why we prefer a manual, when we bought a manual? People that drive a 911 typically do so because of the driving experience. That experience, for many of us, is at its peak with a manual trans. That being the case, why would he want to drive a different car? Seems counter to logic to me.

Also, you asked the question, if you ask a question on a forum, expect an honest answer. Otherwise don't bother.

Last edited by rodH; 10-03-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:20 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

30 years driving standard for me.
Hoping for another 30 more.
I'm still confused that the new Porsches don't all have standard options.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:32 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy with my tiptronic for a 2007 car.
I still challenge,and beat manual and PDK drivers on the track so the tiptronic can't be that bad after all. Smooth in auto and in manual you can drive as sporty as you can handle the car. I like the people smiling at me when they see me with my 4S tiptronic on the track, most smilers don't like it when I waive at them during overtaking...

Of course, the very good drivers beat me with a stick car, I know that too, but these guys don't smile at me because I drive a tiptronic either.

Yes, PDK is a further development so the Tiptronic S was the last tiptronic built in 2008. It is a strong transmission, even the 911 turbo was outfitted with a tiptronic, with hardly any issues.

Now the choice is PDK or manual; if I buy another Porsche it will be a PDK as I like the comfort to drive in auto mode most of the time. PDK has been developed over the time as well, I drove the 2014 GT3 where that PDK is just set up perfectly.

Conclusion, enjoy what you drive either tiptronic, stick or PDK.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:44 PM
frankyluis23
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rodH
This quote makes NO sense

when followed up by this one....

What does that even mean? You do know a HUGE reason the 911R and the GT4 are big hits right now, don't you? So we should rethink why we prefer a manual, when we bought a manual? People that drive a 911 typically do so because of the driving experience. That experience, for many of us, is at its peak with a manual trans. That being the case, why would he want to drive a different car? Seems counter to logic to me.

Also, you asked the question, if you ask a question on a forum, expect an honest answer. Otherwise don't bother.
Ah your right! I should have phrased that differently. I have nothing against manual cars (I enjoy them too) nor did I intend for my post to be about manual vs. automatic. I was actually looking for feedback from other Tip drivers as to wether or not they enjoy driving their cars. I certainly do enjoy driving my 911.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:46 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Go with what you like... I own a manual, tiptronic and PDK and like them all for different reasons.

I also have an old injury during my athletic days (80% tear on left ACL) that makes it hard to clutch for hours on end. The PDK and Tip are the next best thing for me.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:55 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 84 Posts

Ah your right! I should have phrased that differently. I have nothing against manual cars (I enjoy them too) nor did I intend for my post to be about manual vs. automatic. I was actually looking for feedback from other Tip drivers as to wether or not they enjoy driving their cars. I certainly do enjoy driving my 911.
The problem with your question is

1) anyone who has a tip is not going to admit they don't like it and
2) every one of these tip/pdk threads, regardless of what the original question is, devolves in to an auto/manual war

And Rodh, love the fat chicks analogy

Quick Reply: Am I the only person that likes the Tiptronic?