Sponsored by:

Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 04:39 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Followed this beast around the track for a few laps...to say it is a stunning build is a massive understatement.

Also, followed is a generous term...more like saw from a distance

I figured I might as well contribute my single potato phone picture to this thread?

Looking good dude!
I was really flattered, man. Thanks. I wish everyone could have one of my steering wheels. Lots of sweat equity and pride went into it... sold another one that night.

Your 991.2 is a really pretty car and the chassis advancements since the 997 gen make me work for that distance. I can't stop staring at the grill on the 991.2. Such a great throwback piece while still looking modern.

Our lead/follow was the highlight of my night. Looking forward to doing it again in a couple weeks!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:46 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I was really flattered, man. Thanks. I wish everyone could have one of my steering wheels. Lots of sweat equity and pride went into it... sold another one that night.

Your 991.2 is a really pretty car and the chassis advancements since the 997 gen make me work for that distance. I can't stop staring at the grill on the 991.2. Such a great throwback piece while still looking modern.

Our lead/follow was the highlight of my night. Looking forward to doing it again in a couple weeks!
Definitely good times! By any chance, did LAPS post those pics of your car on their Facebook page? Shawn was telling me he was going to post some...but I don't have a Facebook!
Old 07-17-2018, 04:49 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Definitely good times! By any chance, did LAPS post those pics of your car on their Facebook page? Shawn was telling me he was going to post some...but I don't have a Facebook!
That's where these are from, yes. PM your email or hit me up on IG and I'll email you the pics of your car.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:05 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,889 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
That's where these are from, yes. PM your email or hit me up on IG and I'll email you the pics of your car.
Ah, just received the email with the pics from Shawn! Thanks man!!! Def gonna try to make the rest of the events for the year!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 05:33 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

nwGTS, are you selling those highly custom steering wheels now?
Old 07-17-2018, 05:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

I wouldn't go so far to say 'sell' as I would 'accept money that would be dumb to turn down'.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:23 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I get it, if the price is right. It is a very nice piece.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:43 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BF951
I get it, if the price is right. It is a very nice piece.
Thank you!
If it were just building the wheel, I'd have an Amazon page stocked and ready to go.
The custom module work for the other systems like the PSM/PASM and steering column modules are what make this hard to scale. Lots of hands on stuff. So even though I make the modules drop-in replacements for the modules on the customer car, few people know how to swap them. So I end up doing that too, which means I need to be at the car's location which means they are paying me to get to it which means.. well you get the idea.
It's a narrow market.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:45 AM
pilfer
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

you're making me want clear tail lights now lol. Also, I'm still surprise by how much lower your car looks on the Eibach Springs than mine. Anyway, non 997 question, I remember you purchased some pedals to aid with heel and toe revmatching many pages ago. Do you know if that company makes those pedals for other cars? I want something for the RS4, the pedal placement is not conducive.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 AM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 105 Posts

if you don’t mind my asking, why did you decide on eibach pro kit. Thinking about that or ohlin coilovers, but still want to drive my 991 (base carrera without Pasm) on the street. With the sway bar setup you have, I’m sure they are not as soft in corners as I would believe initially, but want your input since I know you regularly track your car. Thanks!
Old 07-18-2018, 10:04 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pilfer
you're making me want clear tail lights now lol. Also, I'm still surprise by how much lower your car looks on the Eibach Springs than mine. Anyway, non 997 question, I remember you purchased some pedals to aid with heel and toe revmatching many pages ago. Do you know if that company makes those pedals for other cars? I want something for the RS4, the pedal placement is not conducive.
Realize that a few of these pics are under hard braking or cornering so yaw, pitch and roll compression will exaggerate the drop.

Check Rennline.com to see if they make products for Your RS4

Originally Posted by awrryan
if you don’t mind my asking, why did you decide on eibach pro kit. Thinking about that or ohlin coilovers, but still want to drive my 991 (base carrera without Pasm) on the street. With the sway bar setup you have, I’m sure they are not as soft in corners as I would believe initially, but want your input since I know you regularly track your car. Thanks!
i chose only to modify the springs because I planned on this being more of a street car than track at the time. And the DSC box would handle what I needed for the track. I went with Eibach purely for cosmetic reasons. While I find the increased drop of H&R springs visually more appealing than the Eibachs, it’s too low for downtown Chicago driving.

Also a spring swap is an order of magnitude less expensive than a full coilover swap.

I may move to a Bilstein damptronic setup for corner balancing in the future or Tractive if I have money burning a hole in my pocket. An active suspension like the TPC DSC box provides is superior to passive setups like Ohlin or JRZ. So I wouldn’t consider them.

Last edited by nwGTS; 07-18-2018 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2018, 11:06 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 125 Likes on 60 Posts

Awesome, i almost went to the autobahn event this monday as well. I wish i did. Any plans on going to the future ones at Blackhawk farms or Road America?
Old 07-18-2018, 01:53 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bronz
Awesome, i almost went to the autobahn event this monday as well. I wish i did. Any plans on going to the future ones at Blackhawk farms or Road America?
i did Blackhawk once in this car. Not likely again. It’s a beautiful track. I feel like I’m in someone’s (big) backyard. But it’s not a good track for high horsepower cars. Trees only a few feet from a very narrow track and few runoff areas is fun for more nimble cars.

I was at RA earlier this year but not again until next. Love that track. I almost don’t have enough power for that one.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:05 PM
chicago_nsx
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey Gents- Do you guys know the torque spec when changing a tire for the CL wheels on the GTS? Not doing any track events just daily driving but need to change a tire.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:21 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chicago_nsx
Hey Gents- Do you guys know the torque spec when changing a tire for the CL wheels on the GTS? Not doing any track events just daily driving but need to change a tire.
This will get you what you want:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...and-tools.html

Quick Reply: Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT