Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018 | 12:10 PM
BillNye
Racer

You asked for opinions, so here's mine.
Never really loved the 997.2 clear tails on pretty much any color. The tint looks a little better I guess, but doesn't really change much. I think the reason I dislike them is the jewel effect of each of the reflectors is more visible, which makes them look very 2001 to me.
I would be very curious to see what they looked like with a slightly diffuse vinyl covering on them. Could just end up looking like a crappy spray paint jobber though if it's a matte finish. Not sure if a gloss finish diffuse vinyl even exists.
Old 06-14-2018 | 12:32 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BillNye
You asked for opinions, so here's mine.
Never really loved the 997.2 clear tails on pretty much any color. The tint looks a little better I guess, but doesn't really change much. I think the reason I dislike them is the jewel effect of each of the reflectors is more visible, which makes them look very 2001 to me.
I would be very curious to see what they looked like with a slightly diffuse vinyl covering on them. Could just end up looking like a crappy spray paint jobber though if it's a matte finish. Not sure if a gloss finish diffuse vinyl even exists.
I know what you mean. The "altezza" look. I dislike it too. I think I only like these when the lights are actually on. It's a nice contrast. The gloss diffuse finish would just look like the inside of your lights were cloudy or faded from UV.
I'm still not totally sold on them but will keep them on for a few weeks.
Old 06-14-2018 | 12:58 PM
BillNye
Racer

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I know what you mean. The "altezza" look. I dislike it too. I think I only like these when the lights are actually on. It's a nice contrast. The gloss diffuse finish would just look like the inside of your lights were cloudy or faded from UV.
Good point. It would look exactly like a cloudy/faded lens. I really want to like them especially after seeing some photos of my own car and realizing how colorless the front looks, the red tail-lights being the only color on the car (silver).

I say rock it for a while and see if it grows on you. Not like they're difficult to swap.

Also, that's some great looking black paint. Keeping it swirl free is not always easy.
Old 06-14-2018 | 03:11 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Clear tails are a must on lighter cars. Does a tremendous job in modernizing the rear end. The light tint on your tails looks great and in my opinion is perfect on a black car. Well done.
Old 06-16-2018 | 02:41 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for the very kind words.

Another update....
Chicago has looked like this for the past week and a half so I killed time with another project.

The audience for clear taillights is polarized. I like them a lot on some colors but think they looked worst on black cars. Well, I have two pairs of clear tail lights sitting around (i don't know why either). One pair needed some repairs so I fixed them, tinted them and tossed them on to see how they looked. After the light tint I kind of like them. I'm not totally sold but will run them for a while and see if they grow on me.

What do you guys think?

I really like that. Just right. Question is: How do you accomplish the "light tint" that you ended up with without crossing over into the full blackout zone which I'm not a fan of? I'm thinking you only get one shot at this and if you don't get it right your next move is sourcing a new set of tail lights.
Old 06-16-2018 | 04:30 AM
Clubber
Racer

I think they look great on black cars and your is no exception. Even without the tint.
Considering the same mod but not sure how it would look on white. Too bling ?
Old 06-18-2018 | 02:53 AM
pilfer
Racer

Originally Posted by Clubber
I think they look great on black cars and your is no exception. Even without the tint.
I considered it too as there are some stains on mine. I probably would've done it but as mine is an AWD car I didn't think the clear lights would look good with the red reflector. I look forward to seeing you do it. And as always OP, car looks great.
Old 06-18-2018 | 07:15 PM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I really like that. Just right. Question is: How do you accomplish the "light tint" that you ended up with without crossing over into the full blackout zone which I'm not a fan of? I'm thinking you only get one shot at this and if you don't get it right your next move is sourcing a new set of tail lights.
Ditto. I have a guards red GTS with clear taillights and think a light tint would look great, especially with the black badging and wheels. I see early in the thread, you used Lamin-X for the headlights and DRLs. Did you use the same product for the tails?
Old 06-19-2018 | 12:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Thank you all again for the kind words.

Originally Posted by BillNye
Good point. It would look exactly like a cloudy/faded lens. I really want to like them especially after seeing some photos of my own car and realizing how colorless the front looks, the red tail-lights being the only color on the car (silver).

I say rock it for a while and see if it grows on you. Not like they're difficult to swap.

Also, that's some great looking black paint. Keeping it swirl free is not always easy.
It will take a lot to get me in another black car. It's been an unfortunate stress point during these first few years considering I park it in an urban public garage. Two weeks of parking and it's covered in concrete dust, exhaust soot and city grit. While a full two stage paint correction after I got the car turned the entire car's paint to better than new, there were too many front chips to warrant PPF. However, this car has never seen a touch wash in my possession. Touchless only and airdry with microfiber in crevices and seams. it's as much as I can do before respraying the front clip and PPF in a few years. And so far tracking it has only added a few rubber marks on the hips. And those being black anyway aren't really that big a deal. We don't have to worry much about sandy grit on track in the Midwest like the CA guys do. I am the grim reaper for bugs though.

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent
Ditto. I have a guards red GTS with clear taillights and think a light tint would look great, especially with the black badging and wheels. I see early in the thread, you used Lamin-X for the headlights and DRLs. Did you use the same product for the tails?
Yup. Same Laminx 'tint' shading on front and back. Picturing it with black accents on a red car I think they would look really good.

If you're going to go for the full Sport Coupe tribute then clear tails would be the way to go. Looking at your avatar though those red tails really pop. Hard choice!

Originally Posted by sandwedge
yeah it's a fine line. No need for new lights though. These come off with some heat and elbow grease. I've already replaced the fronts after a lot of pitting without issue.
Old 06-20-2018 | 03:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

i hated the clears at first a few years ago, thought they looked cheap + aftermarket... one day the more i stared at 997s i just felt they looked vastly superior then the reds, imo porsche nailed it again re their forward thinking aesthetic designs. i just compared your before and after and you did a great job re the light tints on your car.

YES!

Originally Posted by WantA997
Clear tails are a must on lighter cars. Does a tremendous job in modernizing the rear end. The light tint on your tails looks great and in my opinion is perfect on a black car. Well done.

will look hot as hell... just do it and swap out if you hate it (not that you will).- someone will buy
​​​​​​​
Old 06-20-2018 | 03:29 PM
GT3_ISH
Instructor

Looks great sir, well done!

I too live in the city, although its nowhere the size of Chicago I do get the same things you do. Frustrating.
Old 07-17-2018 | 03:48 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Had my first track day at Autobahn CC with LAPS since the clear taillight performance modification. No one rear ended me so I’d say job well done.

Pics for proof:

Old 07-17-2018 | 03:58 PM
awrryan
Rennlist Member

Are you still running eibach pro kit springs?
Old 07-17-2018 | 04:03 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awrryan
Are you still running eibach pro kit springs?
Yes still going strong!
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post13290955

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ng-on-diy.html
Old 07-17-2018 | 04:13 PM
JAhmed
Drifting

Followed this beast around the track for a few laps...to say it is a stunning build is a massive understatement.

Also, followed is a generous term...more like saw from a distance

I figured I might as well contribute my single potato phone picture to this thread?

Looking good dude!

Quick Reply: Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT