Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Jacket, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:47 PM
Ptech1
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 36 Posts

I can see both sides. But, as with anything Porsche related, subtlety is key. My recent purchase, mainly for DE's (light enough to wear with harnesses). One patch, very little Martini coloring, lots of compliments.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:04 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Life is too short to not enjoy and to be afraid what other people might think is my opinion.

I don't wear screaming Porsche logo's but when I go to club events or meet my Porsche friends I sometimes wear my Porsche- Martini jacket or my Porsche jacket from 1998.

Good thing in South Korea is that most people do not know about Porsche, Ferrari or Lamborghini as they know in the US or Europe. The Asian philosophy and culture "hard work gets rewarded" makes that people respect the status and the nice car - as you worked for it.

As people do, they get dressed appropriate for the day where causal Porsche clothing is not appropriate for a business meeting, think the same for the rest of the world. Maybe Bermuda is different.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:15 AM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Porsche hat that I leave in the Boxster S, I usually drive with top down and if it's really sunny. I grab it and wear it. I think a jacket is fine but when you wear the hat, the jacket, and other Porsche gear, then you just look like a Ferrari guy who's trying too hard.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:20 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Originally Posted by Ptech1

I can see both sides. But, as with anything Porsche related, subtlety is key. My recent purchase, mainly for DE's (light enough to wear with harnesses). One patch, very little Martini coloring, lots of compliments.
Nice, I have it in red. Too flashy for hunting and going to church tough...
Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Porsche logo key chain is about as far as I would take it...
Old 02-05-2016, 01:39 AM
Paqueras
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

what about the Adidas-Porsche Design stuff? Some t-shirts are pretty cool.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:12 AM
AlohaCS
Rennlist Member

Who cares what other people think. I am way to old to worry whether someone else approves of what I wear, drive, live, think, etc.

If the jacket speaks to you - wear it in good health.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:34 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 244 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by jglaze
I was going to post this in the "general" forum, but that place is a bit of a ghost town. Allow me a little latitude as I put this to my 997-driving brethren:

I came across a really sharp looking Porsche Design jacket that I've contemplated buying, but just before pressing "buy" I hesitated. I hesitated because I remember the derision I've unloaded on random BMW-fan boys who drive their non-M 3 series around with the "M" hats and jackets.

Poseur or not, I think my bigger issue was the idea of driving a car and wearing clothing with the car brand on it. It's a bit like going to a rock concert and wearing the bands tshirt...it's just not cool.

So, simple question then...whether or not I'm driving my car: wearing a Porsche jacket, douchey or not douchey?
This is always a personal issue. Many years ago I had a very low-key Members Only light grey jacket in which the name PORSCHE was sewn onto it. That was about as far as I would go. Some of these, to me, are a bit in your face and thus not to my liking. My logic was always, it's better to own the car than to wear stuff advertising the car. Usually, the guys who wear all of that stuff are very new to Porsche and just very proud of it and go for all of that stuff. On the other hand, If it is a Porsche event then it might not be too over the top.

It's a neat jacket, but I would rather it had my name embroidered on it and not the name of a dead guy.

Sincerely,

Walter Röhl, aka
Old 02-05-2016, 10:28 AM
der Geist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't wear it while you are driving the car for sure. I remember being at my first DE and seeing some of the guys covered in Porsche gear. They looked like a bunch of tools. It screams insecurity. When you can't shout that you have a Porsche cover yourself in loud gear so everyone gets the message. A t-shirt or a hat can be kind of cool if it's a track shirt with cool graphics. To me it's like wearing dress shoes with jeans. Tacky.

One man's opinion.
Attached Images  
Old 02-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by der Geist
To me it's like wearing dress shoes with jeans. Tacky.
extremely odd analogy there.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:51 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Met a retired gentlemen -- 70 + -- at Cars and Coffee; he was new to Porsche. He saved his whole life and bought a black/black/black 996 Turbo. He had the shirt, the hat, the jacket and the gloves. All he wanted was someone to tell him his car was running right. He had no one in his world that knew squat about a 911 Turbo. Cool dude. Smart buy. Quite frankly, he could rock all the gear, head to toe, and he'd be alright in my book. He was there humble, just wanting to meet other Porsche people, to get referrals to an Indy, ask questions, etc.

I made a long-winded attempt to say this upthread: Wear what you want; don't be a dick.

That's how simple life is.

Old 02-05-2016, 01:58 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by mlv_250
Always wanted to sport around in one of these...don't forget about the hightops! Missing anything else to finish off this ensemble?
This might almost work as it is so over the top, people would think you are being ironic or it is Halloween and you are Joey.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 102 Posts

I've been a Porsche guy for decades and never got into the clothes or branded items. However, I sometimes get a Porsche Polo/golf shirt, hat or pen as a gift from kids or friends. I feel good wearing them when it's subtle and not too obvious- just showing support for a hobby/passion. Mostly to car events.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:33 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by metric91
This I like! Where is it from?
I got it from suncoast while back. I think retail was $300. I got it for about $160 or $130 when they had it on sale (limited sizes available)

looks like they took it off their website currently.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:04 PM
TXSailor
Instructor

Originally Posted by Paqueras
I have a Porsche logo hat that a relative gave me as a present.
I dont like to wear it when im driving or near my car..i dont know why, maybe i feel a little douchey?
I only use it when im sailing, playing tennis / sports or when im driving my Mitsubishi Montero around town.

Whatever you do, it doesn't matter what you wear, just don't squeeze your Porsche into every conversation. " by Philster.
Where and what do you sail?

Quick Reply: Porsche Jacket, yes or no?