Sponsored by:

Porsche Jacket, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 12:42 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Surprised how many would not wear the gear because they own the car. I wouldn't think twice if I saw a Ducati rider wearing Ducati leathers (or Harley rider with Harley jacket), a golfer wearing a Calalway cap, basketball player wearing a Nike sweatsuit, boxer wearing Everlast t-shirt, or USC grad wearing USC hoodie.
Good observation. The other similar thought this conversation has led me to is this potential stirring of the hornet's nest: I wonder how many are similarly embarrassed being seen in public in their Porsche? Aren't you displaying the Porsche brand there? I guarantee that there are some people that think badly of us when they see us in our cars, but does the isolation of the car make it easier to deal with than when you are out amongst people?

(Granted I try to avoid driving around the poorer parts of town in it so as not to seem like too much of an elitist *** and I don't walk around heavily geared up in Porsche stuff either, but there seems to be some discontinuity here).
Old 02-09-2016, 02:13 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts

I also have a jacket and a number of ball caps I have picked up at different shows, but I never wear them while in the car. I guess it is just the fanboy image it sends as others have mentioned. I actually bought the jacket after seeing a Ferrari buddy wearing one, although he wasn't driving his Ferrari at the time. I think the car sends the signal more than enough and unfortunately the Porsche brand generates two kinds of responses.

As far as the golf analogy goes, wearing a logo hat and using a logo bag has become the routine. However, we had a guy show up one time wearing a Callaway golf shirt, hat, pants and shoes, and using Callaway bag, clubs, and ball. He wasn't a pro. And the looks he got were not complimentary.
Old 02-09-2016, 02:40 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by rickdogg82
Surprised how many would not wear the gear because they own the car. I wouldn't think twice if I saw a Ducati rider wearing Ducati leathers (or Harley rider with Harley jacket), a golfer wearing a Calalway cap, basketball player wearing a Nike sweatsuit, boxer wearing Everlast t-shirt, or USC grad wearing USC hoodie.
porsches have a stigma associated with them. While I don't hugely care what people think, I'd rather not deal with annoying questions or stupid comments, so I keep the porsche stuff in the closet.
Old 02-09-2016, 04:28 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by golftime
I also have a jacket and a number of ball caps I have picked up at different shows, but I never wear them while in the car. I guess it is just the fanboy image it sends as others have mentioned. I actually bought the jacket after seeing a Ferrari buddy wearing one, although he wasn't driving his Ferrari at the time. I think the car sends the signal more than enough and unfortunately the Porsche brand generates two kinds of responses. As far as the golf analogy goes, wearing a logo hat and using a logo bag has become the routine. However, we had a guy show up one time wearing a Callaway golf shirt, hat, pants and shoes, and using Callaway bag, clubs, and ball. He wasn't a pro. And the looks he got were not complimentary.
This is interesting to me.

Exactly the same thing applies to cars. If you show up at the track or another car event and looks like a fully paid racing driver or pit member of the works team. It's just to much. I already went over the top with my track car wrapped and wearing Porsche Motorsport logos. If I dress up in a Motorsport suit and drive 4 sec/lap slower than the pro drivers it just looks bad.
Add to that yellow tinted headlights and you look really silly. Oh, where can I get some.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM
br911
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
This is interesting to me.

Exactly the same thing applies to cars. If you show up at the track or another car event and looks like a fully paid racing driver or pit member of the works team. It's just to much. I already went over the top with my track car wrapped and wearing Porsche Motorsport logos. If I dress up in a Motorsport suit and drive 4 sec/lap slower than the pro drivers it just looks bad.
Add to that yellow tinted headlights and you look really silly. Oh, where can I get some.
But the more one looks like a paid driver, the safer he/she should be. I do not want to be the fastest guy in shorts and T-shirt. Better safe than casual.
As for Golf clothing, maybe someone was having a big sale?
Old 02-09-2016, 06:02 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

wrong thread wtf

Last edited by Para82; 02-17-2016 at 06:18 PM.
Old 02-11-2016, 01:44 PM
928 GT R
Rennlist Member

Received 5,595 Likes on 2,145 Posts
Default Zappa & Clothes...

This conversation reminds me of an old Frank Zappa quote.

"Everyone in this room is wearing a uniform, and don't kid yourself."

Clothing should reflect the zeitgeist (spirit of the day.)

As an example… Lindsey Vonn looks great in her downhill suit, but she does not wear it to the grocery store...
Old 02-11-2016, 06:53 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Gah! It's too big!

Well, got the jacket in and love the style, but not the fit...it's too big. Unfortunately, it's not returnable since it is a clearance item, so I'll be happy to sell it on to anyone interested at my cost minus tax, so $140 +shipping.

It's a size large (US) and has a standard fit (read: straight, not slim/athletic). As expected, it's incredibly high quality...though admittedly not $500 quality as they want for this same jacket over on the Porsche design page. Nylon exterior with synthetic fill, so it'll make for a good fall-weight jacket.

I've cross posted in the member section with pictures, but thought I'd post here as well since this is the whole reason this thread started in the first place. https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...l#post13008585
Old 02-11-2016, 07:16 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Yup - my wife is from Bangkok, Thailand - she is more American at heart than most Americans - and the first woman that ever told me I was an idiot for selling one of my sports cars.

You have a good wife
Old 02-15-2016, 11:06 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

If you like it, then wear it. I wouldn't give it a second thought. To me, it's no different than a
sports fan wearing their favorite team jersey. I'm a huge fan of Porsche. I have a few Porsche themed t-shirts and an old faded black Porsche crest hat I wear often. Nothing pretentious about it. I like the cars, simple as that. I don't have a Porsche jacket because they are too expensive but if I did I'd wear it everywhere.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:19 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Good observation. The other similar thought this conversation has led me to is this potential stirring of the hornet's nest: I wonder how many are similarly embarrassed being seen in public in their Porsche? Aren't you displaying the Porsche brand there? I guarantee that there are some people that think badly of us when they see us in our cars, but does the isolation of the car make it easier to deal with than when you are out amongst people?

(Granted I try to avoid driving around the poorer parts of town in it so as not to seem like too much of an elitist *** and I don't walk around heavily geared up in Porsche stuff either, but there seems to be some discontinuity here).
I've driven through some pretty rough areas of Chicago before (police surveillance cameras on every street corner with microphones that detect gunshots). All I get are thumbs up.

Seeing my coworkers as I pull into the office garage, though ...

"Wow, Kev! Nice Poorsh!"

"How much did THAT cost?"

"Why didn't you just buy a house?"

"Dude your fiancee must be PISSED!"

Old 02-17-2016, 06:10 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

I can relate. If you know the pricing of Porsche's at various times of the cars life then it's easier to see the deals that one can have with this type of car. It's the perception rather than actual knowledge of the car and its pricing or even its worth.

My wife tries to not let anyone from her job see her car for that perception that comes along with a Panamera. I have learned not to worry about what others think. Just got to move on and do what you can for yourself.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Daltech
Track Day

Default Funny hat thing...

I'm a hat guy so I wear a black crested emblem hat when driving. Couple years ago when I got my wife an E350 4matic the MB sales guy gave me an AMG cap...the E350 is not an AMG so I never wore it....until now cause I bought a real nice 2007 ML63 AMG and I dug out the AMG hat and wear it....:cheers
Old 02-19-2016, 06:01 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Here's my favorite new long sleeve shirt.
Attached Images  
Old 02-19-2016, 09:59 PM
Fred2
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
I've driven through some pretty rough areas of Chicago before (police surveillance cameras on every street corner with microphones that detect gunshots). All I get are thumbs up.

Seeing my coworkers as I pull into the office garage, though ...

"Wow, Kev! Nice Poorsh!"

"How much did THAT cost?"

"Why didn't you just buy a house?"

"Dude your fiancee must be PISSED!"

Just answer...
Why would she, she bought it for me.

Quick Reply: Porsche Jacket, yes or no?