Sponsored by:

Porsche Jacket, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:18 AM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Porsche Jacket, yes or no?

I was going to post this in the "general" forum, but that place is a bit of a ghost town. Allow me a little latitude as I put this to my 997-driving brethren:

I came across a really sharp looking Porsche Design jacket that I've contemplated buying, but just before pressing "buy" I hesitated. I hesitated because I remember the derision I've unloaded on random BMW-fan boys who drive their non-M 3 series around with the "M" hats and jackets.

Poseur or not, I think my bigger issue was the idea of driving a car and wearing clothing with the car brand on it. It's a bit like going to a rock concert and wearing the bands tshirt...it's just not cool.

So, simple question then...whether or not I'm driving my car: wearing a Porsche jacket, douchey or not douchey?
Old 02-04-2016, 11:27 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Can be douchy....depends on the jacket. Personally I cant pull it off, but I have a Martini hat that I rock no problem.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:29 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Great question, I fight this all the time with myself.

In short, I can't do it. I can't walk around with a pretentious brand on me. A friend purchased a simple Porsche hat for me and I just can't bring myself to wearing it. If I was part of a racing team, or employee..... that would be totally fine. Otherwise...... I just can't do it. Always wanted to.

What tipped the scales for me was hanging out with Ferrari owners........ Loads of Ferrari shirts........ no knowledge of their technology..... talked about the leather........ I am not one of those.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-04-2016, 11:30 AM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

I wouldn't do it... but I would wear a bands tshirt to their concert if that helps put it in perspective.

Now, some of this Porsche Design stuff barely has any Porsche markings, so I would be ok with you wearing this overpriced jacket: http://www.porsche-design.us/For-Men...r-Blouson.html

But please don't drive around town in this: https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...go-jacket.html

Others may agree/disagree, but that's my opinion.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34 AM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm a fan of the brand and might wear a hat if it was subtle enough, but probably not a jacket. I respect your obvious humility in posing the question.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:48 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 673 Likes on 359 Posts

I have a hat and jacket, but faced with the same question you are asking, I generally only wear them to appropriate car events like races at COTA here in Austin (especially when Cup cars are racing), Porsche club events, autocrossing, car shows, etc. There it often proves a plus since it catches the attention of the other owners and Porsche-philes at the event and they'll stop and chat for a bit, sometimes just the superficial stuff like Bruce points out in the Ferrari context, but sometimes with some pretty good technical depth and I can even end up learning a few things.

Just don't strut around with an elitist *** face and most people are quite positive about it. I'm actually surprised at the number of positive thumbs-up's, nods, and smiles it can bring at racing events by just general car lovers. I also show a lot of interest in their cars and brands in the other direction based upon what others wearing as well since well... I honestly love a lot of the cars and brands out there. I wish I could have one of each!

So the bottom line is you can comfortably wear a jacket etc. with pride as long as it is the right place and time and with the right demeanor.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:49 AM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd have to see the jacket. But in general I'd pass.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:50 AM
GT3RS-Fan1
Three Wheelin'

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

When I drive my Porsche I do wear my Porsche jacket. The only indication it is a Porsche jacket is that the logo is on the front left side of the jacket and the name "Porsche" is three inches wide and half inch tall. The jacket is orange and the lettering is in white. Very discreet and subtle.

Anything with big bold letters is considered loud for me and wouldn't wear them. Big to me is anything taller than an inch and wider than three inches. Just my $0.02

Drive safe,
GT3RS-Fan1
Old 02-04-2016, 11:52 AM
Melbourne15
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

For what it's worth, I wear a black Porsche ball cap with the Crest on the front while driving my 911. I think it is subtle enough, and I am do not feel like a fan boy because I actually own a Porsche, and proud of it. . When going to the IMSA races and vintage sports car events I usually wear a Porsche t-shirt, if you can't wear it there then where can you wear it. Walking around in clothing with huge Porsche letters all over it is a little different imho.
Old 02-04-2016, 11:57 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 103 Posts

When I first joined the Porsche family, I bought a Porsche jacket, Porsche polos, Porsche caps, and misc doo-dads. Why? Dunno! Never was comfortable wearing anything other than the caps and a polo or two, and those only at car events.

Sold all the stuff at the local Porsche swap meet. Many others OK with wearing the stuff it seems.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:01 PM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

Only Porsche Jacket I ever bought was for my son when he was 4.
He looked cute in the little silver jacket with the Porsche Crest.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:04 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Hat, yes. Jacket? Only to a car related event.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:12 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Blu311
...so I would be ok with you wearing this overpriced jacket...
This line made me smile; I'm glad you approve of me wearing that.

This is the jacket in question:

It's not crazy over the top, with a black Porsche script across the back, and I like the 70's style (its done in the style of the jackets that the film crew wore on the set of Le Mans), so it fits my persona. But, it's also a Steve McQueen jacket, which is a bit of a double-edged sword. Sure he's the king of cool, and there's general street cred associated with him, but its so over done...

Love all the perspective though; this is turning out to be a more interesting (and deep) discussion than I anticipated.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:12 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That jacket is cool in my book. I'd rock it.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:20 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,441 Likes on 834 Posts

The only porsche lettered item I wear is a mechanics shirt. I have a hat, but its buried in the closet.

I don't love branded stuff like that.

Quick Reply: Porsche Jacket, yes or no?