Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Jacket, yes or no?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:21 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cap: Yes. But I wear it hear 'n' there. Might be in the Porsche; might not be in the Porsche.

Jacket: Honestly... I would wear one to a Porsche event only, but not with the cap.

I generally have the the same dilemma as jglaze. For me, the Ferrari and Corvette guys ruin it. I associate them with this innate need they possess to make sure everyone knows they have a Ferrari or Corvette.

Ferrari owner psychoanalysis: Essentially and generally, owning a Ferrari is the important thing. Driving it 500 miles per year isn't enough exposure for creds, so wearing Ferrari gear is a must.

Corvette owner psychoanalysis: The Corvette, in general to them, is like a pair of *********, or chest hair, and you need the gear or you feel like you have no *****, or you fear your chest hair will fall out

Since Porsche ownership is about driving, we're not supposed to care about jackets, pants, shirts, etc. I mean, a cap here and there, maybe a tasteful polo with the crest, and reserve the jacket for when it's just right for the occasion.

Whatever you do, it doesn't matter what you wear, just don't squeeze your Porsche into every conversation.

You: Hi, Becky and Stewart! How are you guys today? Nice bumping into you at the mall
Stewart: Oh, well... little Timmy needs clothes for college, so here we are... loading up for him
You: Oh, I could never load up today for Junior, because I took the Porsche, and I really try to take it everywhere. Just shopping for myself today.
Stewart: Aren't you warm with that coat in here?
You: Nah, this is Porsche design. It breathes. I wear it all the time, even when I am blasting through the twistys
Becky: Twistys?!?!
You: Yeah, it's a Porsche thing

Or, if a Corvette owner in his gear, he might say something like this: I got to a light on the way here, and there was this BMW douche next to me, so when the light turned red, I punched it and blew his doors off. I need some cologne. See ya.

Old 02-04-2016, 01:43 PM
Paqueras
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a Porsche logo hat that a relative gave me as a present.
I dont like to wear it when im driving or near my car..i dont know why, maybe i feel a little douchey?
I only use it when im sailing, playing tennis / sports or when im driving my Mitsubishi Montero around town.

"Whatever you do, it doesn't matter what you wear, just don't squeeze your Porsche into every conversation. " by Philster.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:45 PM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I've got a couple of Porsche related but not branded t shirts, that's my limit.

That jacket is sweet though, I considered it when I saw the suncoast email today.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:00 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

that is a sweet jacket. any photos of how the logo looks in the back?
Old 02-04-2016, 02:29 PM
crazycarlitos
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have nice Porsche martini jacket

I usually end up wearing it when not driving the Pcar. lol
Old 02-04-2016, 02:44 PM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

OP, that jacket is all kinds of cool. I would wear it, I also like the white retro Tag/Steve McQueen jackets.

I also wear daily a distressed (by my Labrador) blue Ferrari hat with a small offset horse. The logo is tiny. I bought a red Ferrari vest years ago.....still has the tags on it haha.
Old 02-04-2016, 02:47 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

Four crested wheel center caps.
Four crested valve caps.
Crest on the frunk cover.
Badge on the back.
Crested seat headrest.
Crested floor mats.
Who's gonna notice a jacket?

"Life's short, Have an affa...." Sorry wrong forum

Buy the jacket if you like it. I wear Helly Hansen on the golf course. Sometimes, and I have to admit it, LuLu Lemon golf shirts.

Other than a Fruit of the loom white T-shirt? Isn't everything else branded on the outside?

Last edited by BIG smoke; 02-04-2016 at 03:05 PM.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

I dunno', I always thought just having and driving the car was enough. Seems like we never do grow out of peer pressure. I mean if you have to ask the question about whether or not you should buy a jacket, then you seem to care about people's perception of you - maybe not that you shouldn't care, but you care enough about the opinion of others to influnce how you feel, and may feel about yourself, when wearing something. So that is the long way of saying that you can either buy the jacket for you and how it makes you feel or you can buy it based on what people may think about you for wearing it - or some combination of both. That is the intrinsic question that your personality should dictate.

In the end it comes down to how you wear it. Your personality, who you are, can make you seem like an a$$hat for simply having a Porshe keyring or you can be the most popular guy in the paddock running in C group bedecked in all manner of Porsche gear.

Personally, I don't get warm and fuzzy by wearing logo gear of products I use or own - the only things with logos that I care about are those with a story or some special meaning (e.g a hideous T-shirt I won in a cycling race; the cash I gave to my daughter so she could buy some toy, long since thrown away.)
Old 02-04-2016, 03:15 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My fiancee always makes fun of me if I wear a branded article of clothing.

I have a few Chicago Region PCA shirts that I wear to the gym, but that's all I have that's Pcar-related.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:25 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by jglaze
This line made me smile; I'm glad you approve of me wearing that.

This is the jacket in question:

It's not crazy over the top, with a black Porsche script across the back, and I like the 70's style (its done in the style of the jackets that the film crew wore on the set of Le Mans), so it fits my persona. But, it's also a Steve McQueen jacket, which is a bit of a double-edged sword. Sure he's the king of cool, and there's general street cred associated with him, but its so over done...

Love all the perspective though; this is turning out to be a more interesting (and deep) discussion than I anticipated.
I also approve of you wearing this jacket
Old 02-04-2016, 03:32 PM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
I mean if you have to ask the question about whether or not you should buy a jacket, then you seem to care about people's perception of you - maybe not that you shouldn't care, but you care enough about the opinion...
This is very perceptive; in fact sometimes I'm a little self-conscious about the car in certain social situations. I mean, I know that I got a great deal on a 10 year old car, but others don't know that. They just see an "expensive" car.

My wife and I have done very well for ourselves, but try to be humble about it given our very mixed group of friends, coworkers, etc...and I didn't ever think about "showing off" when I got the car. I got the car because I love driving, wrenching, tracking, and the 911 is a childhood dream realized. But, when my 3 year old goes around telling his teachers and classmates about his dad's Porsche, it's tough to reconcile the 3-year old joy of a fast car (which I still have as well) with my self-conscious ego.

All that said, I bought the damn jacket because it's cool, it is 70% off at Suncoast, and to hell with what anyone else thinks. But, I probably wouldn't wear it when driving the car; that seems just a little over the top.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:37 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Buy it.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:52 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

I couldn't imagine wearing any clothing with the Porsche name or logo on it. Or Ferrari, or... At a track or race, maybe...

Wearing a Porsche jacket while you're driving your Porsche - that's sorta Jersey shore, isn't it?

The jacket pictured is okay but Steve McQueen's name is on it. Some people might give you $hit for wearing it, you won't hear what all the other people are whispering under their breath.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:10 PM
MaddMike
Rennlist Member

Received 1,872 Likes on 908 Posts

I generally hate obvious brands in anything. If I'm going to wear a Polo shirt, I get one without branding or maybe branding on the hem instead of the chest.

If I was at Le Mans or any other suitable and was cheering for Porsche then it is appropriate. A hat at an auto cross... teetering on the line of good taste. Wearing gear at a car meet? = Super douche.

I have a lot of BMW motorcycle gear as I like their stuff for when I ride. I stay away from their jackets though as they are all branded. The throwback jacket that you posted would work if you could remove the logo from the back.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:13 PM
PJorgen
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

No way. It's advertising for Porsche - are they paying you to wear it? I don't think so...

Quick Reply: Porsche Jacket, yes or no?