Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017 | 09:20 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Airbag997
With a response like that, you must own one...

I wasn't impressed at all. Seat sits high like a truck. Clutch way too light. Gearbox is meh. You can feel the 3,700 lbs, albeit, I admit they do a decent job masking the weight with the suspension tune. The interior is just way too Fiesta for me. I don't care if they put a Ferrari V12 under the hood. It's overhyped, and overpriced. Unless you just want to go fast at the track. Then it's a bargain. I would pick up a Golf R before I ever dropped $60k on a fast Ford Fiesta. But again, to each their own.
Well at least you have driven one, most haven't even SEEN one and have huge opinions. Clutch is light (I like that), seats don't sit as low as a Porsche (but the height is adjustable i'm guessing you didn't adjust it down), and the interior is all business - great Recaro seats, garbage radio (good) and the rest is not luxury.

Did you drive it down the road or did you bang out 8,250rpm shifts screaming to 140mph? It's like having your own pet gorilla in the garage, incredible driving experience.

Can it replace a 911? No. Does it compliment one well? Yes absolutely. Strong buy all around. So is the new Corvette Stingray and so is a used 997 - all great cars - good problems to have.
Old 04-19-2017 | 09:37 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Para82
Well at least you have driven one, most haven't even SEEN one and have huge opinions. Clutch is light (I like that), seats don't sit as low as a Porsche (but the height is adjustable i'm guessing you didn't adjust it down), and the interior is all business - great Recaro seats, garbage radio (good) and the rest is not luxury.

Did you drive it down the road or did you bang out 8,250rpm shifts screaming to 140mph? It's like having your own pet gorilla in the garage, incredible driving experience.

Can it replace a 911? No. Does it compliment one well? Yes absolutely. Strong buy all around. So is the new Corvette Stingray and so is a used 997 - all great cars - good problems to have.
The engine is the center piece on the 350, and deservedly so. It is a masterpiece. But everything else was lacking IMO. I understand it shines on the track, and if that's your thing, it's arguably the best bang for the buck out there. But I don't track four wheels, only two wheels. I need something more than just a track monster. Something that feels special in day to day/DD use.

I test drove one last spring. At the time the dealer had 3 on the lot, and was asking a ridiculous $10k ADM, wouldn't budge....even though they had three sitting there. I was strongly considering one until I test drove it (that and the ridiculous ADM). Yes, the engine is a demon, and the brakes for that matter. But it just didn't tick enough boxes for me. And the cockpit was lacking big time, a deal breaker for me. Especially the seat, which reminded me of a GTR. Again, this car shines on a track, but IMHO for a weekend/fun car it's lacking.
Old 04-20-2017 | 11:32 AM
patriot993
Pro

Originally Posted by MrSlacker
Found another Targa 4, but not an S with very high miles.. but price is actually attractive! Thinking to go check it out tomorrow:
http://www.wilkielexus.com/VehicleDe...-PA/2971796503
There is a Midnight Blue with Sand Beige (fairly rare color combo) at Danbury Porsche. I was very interested in it but there is too much of a spread in what they will give me for my 997.1 and what they want for the 997.2. If I didn't have my current car I would buy this one in a heartbeat.

https://danbury.porschedealer.com/in...tallic+1154905

If interested, give Van Kolton a call at 203-814-2245.

There is a shop around the corner (forget name but is in another one of my posts on this car) that can do a PPI. I also got a PM from a shop that will do the PPI - PM me if you want their info.

I am not at all affiliated with Danbury Porsche...would just like to live vicariously through someone that buys this car that I would really like to have ;-)
Old 04-20-2017 | 12:01 PM
DC911S
Drifting

I test drove one last spring. At the time the dealer had 3 on the lot, and was asking a ridiculous $10k ADM, wouldn't budge....even though they had three sitting there.
Same here in DC region, they would not even allow a test drive till you wrote up a sales contract and after the test drive, you could annul it somehow. Bunch of jerks, it's still just a Ford. I had three dealers call me back a few weeks ago asking me to come in and that pricing has changed.....I remember the same crap with the S2000......
Old 04-20-2017 | 01:11 PM
vern1
Race Car

Originally Posted by patriot993
There is a Midnight Blue with Sand Beige (fairly rare color combo) at Danbury Porsche. I was very interested in it but there is too much of a spread in what they will give me for my 997.1 and what they want for the 997.2. If I didn't have my current car I would buy this one in a heartbeat.

There is a shop around the corner (forget name but is in another one of my posts on this car) that can do a PPI. I also got a PM from a shop that will do the PPI - PM me if you want their info.

I am not at all affiliated with Danbury Porsche...would just like to live vicariously through someone that buys this car that I would really like to have ;-)
Why not just sell the .1 instead of trading it in as you are always going to get less from the dealer. Besides private sale you could try CarMax as well
Old 04-20-2017 | 01:24 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

And it is somehow a 2009 991.2!

Ultra rare indeed ;-)

"This amazing Targa 4 is the 991.2 series Targa and is extremely rare! This one is in great shape and ready to go!"

Originally Posted by patriot993

Old 04-20-2017 | 10:40 PM
patriot993
Pro

Originally Posted by vern1
Why not just sell the .1 instead of trading it in as you are always going to get less from the dealer. Besides private sale you could try CarMax as well

Hi Vern - you are right, I could sell the car myself; was hoping though to avoid the hassle. Lately have not had a lot of free time so that was the motivator for just trading it in. Plus, if i buy the car outright I pay sales tax on full purchase price which would be about $4K in taxes. I was hoping that the gap in what dealer would pay versus what I could sell on my own would be mitigated by tax savings but I suppose that was overly optimistic.

I live about 75 min from nearest Carmax - maybe they can give me an estimate over the phone.

It's all good - my only real 'requirements' for my dream 911 were Targa, dark blue exterior and tan interior. That's what I have now so probably should stop looking ;-)

thanks
Old 04-21-2017 | 10:57 AM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
nice. Ever notice how 90% of the cars listed for sale around here are at high dealer retail? They don't sell, then the owner ends trading it in for 7K less than they were asking? If they would have asked 3000 over trade-in, it would've sold in a matter of days. I've never really understood why anyone would post a car for sale On a highly knowledgeable enthusiast forum and expect to get dealer retail, (outside of a collectible car of course)
Don't forget that most states offer tax savings on your trade-in. So if a dealer trade value is high enough, it is often greater than the lower private party price that you suggest sellers come down to. Posting for sale in the community first also allows fellow enthusiasts an opportunity to avoid dealer price gouging and games.

Don't hate the player, hate the game.
Old 04-21-2017 | 08:02 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Seneca035
Don't forget that most states offer tax savings on your trade-in. So if a dealer trade value is high enough, it is often greater than the lower private party price that you suggest sellers come down to. Posting for sale in the community first also allows fellow enthusiasts an opportunity to avoid dealer price gouging and games.

Interesting. I don't know anything about tax savings on trade-ins. If you sell a car, you don't get a credit, but if you trade it in, you do? Sounds like a lobbyist-written law on behalf of car dealers. So glad we don't pay sales tax on cars here! What a racket.
Old 04-21-2017 | 08:21 PM
Airbag997
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Seneca035

When trading most (if not all states) you only pay sales tax on the price delta. Not the sale price of the car.

In AZ (and some other states) there is no sales tax on private transactions, so you can save $$$$ on big money cars. Trading in won't get you anywhere near that tax advantage.
Old 04-21-2017 | 08:32 PM
Darkhorse
Rennlist Member

Sales tax is a huge issue for us in Wisconsin. We pay based on the purchase price of the car when bought from a private party. My last Porsche cost me 5.1%, almost $3000, for the title. This policy really discourages us from swapping out cars. If I wasn't paying so much in sales taxes, I would be tempted to swap more often. But, it's hard to work your way through to enjoy a variety of nice cars when you get whacked for 5.1% every time.

I agree with the poster above; this is definitely a rule generated by the Automobile dealers' lobby. The only upside is that you pay tax on the stated sales price, so I am sure other people fudge, I, of course, wouldn't dream of it. The DMV will call if you tell them you paid $10Gs for a 2015 Turbo S.

I found an interesting loophole, unfortunately I found it a little too late. If I had traded the seller 50 ounces of gold coins for the car, I would have owed no sales tax. Trades are not taxed.
Old 04-21-2017 | 08:49 PM
jakeg
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Sales tax is a huge issue for us in Wisconsin. We pay based on the purchase price of the car when bought from a private party. My last Porsche cost me 5.1%, almost $3000, for the title. This policy really discourages us from swapping out cars. If I wasn't paying so much in sales taxes, I would be tempted to swap more often. But, it's hard to work your way through to enjoy a variety of nice cars when you get whacked for 5.1% every time.

I agree with the poster above; this is definitely a rule generated by the Automobile dealers' lobby. The only upside is that you pay tax on the stated sales price, so I am sure other people fudge, I, of course, wouldn't dream of it. The DMV will call if you tell them you paid $10Gs for a 2015 Turbo S.

I found an interesting loophole, unfortunately I found it a little too late. If I had traded the seller 50 ounces of gold coins for the car, I would have owed no sales tax. Trades are not taxed.
Texas uses a standard presumptive value for private party sales tax at 6.25%. Painful. Sometimes can help save a bit of money, but it's still painful.
Old 04-21-2017 | 10:57 PM
Skwerl
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jakeg
Texas uses a standard presumptive value for private party sales tax at 6.25%. Painful. Sometimes can help save a bit of money, but it's still painful.
Yeah, you can see why buyers of big ticket Ferraris and Lambos and Rolls Royces might want to register their cars in Montana. Such a racket.
Old 04-22-2017 | 10:50 AM
TypeRx
Racer

Originally Posted by Darkhorse
Same situation but worse in California. You pay 7.5% of the used car purchase price for state tax with up to 2.5% extra depending on county, etc. So, buying a used car (private party or from a dealership) in Cali is a rip if you are going to register it in Cali.
Old 04-22-2017 | 02:10 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

This looks like a good car although not idea if manual or tiptronic.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...7348/overview/

This one is pretty nice as well.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...6979/overview/

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)