Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 09:58 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.H
Thanks for the lead. I'm buying it.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:02 PM
jakeg
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogueman1
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-Porsch...QAAOSwiXhc4zVR

This car seems really immaculate and well cared for. I like the brake upgrade.
This one is in fact intriguing. I didn't know that PCCB can be paired with 997 turbo rotors. The one gripe I always had was the visual size of the stock 997 calipers. This brings form and function.

Tempting, this one...
Old 06-05-2019, 11:26 PM
Rogueman1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jakeg
This one is in fact intriguing. I didn't know that PCCB can be paired with 997 turbo rotors. The one gripe I always had was the visual size of the stock 997 calipers. This brings form and function.

Tempting, this one...
Amen to that!! I have always thought that. ESPECIALLY when I'm parked right next to my buddy in his new M2 Competition. and the rotors on that thing....
Old 06-05-2019, 11:37 PM
jakeg
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Amen to that!! I have always thought that. ESPECIALLY when I'm parked right next to my buddy in his new M2 Competition. and the rotors on that thing....
Lol! So true!
Old 06-06-2019, 12:02 AM
Rogueman1
Instructor

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...902410016.html

If the PPI checks out, this may just be the deal of the decade.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:48 AM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes looks like nice car, how much does salvage title take away for value, insurance cost more and sometimes they will not insure to full value, is that correct?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:28 AM
Rogueman1
Instructor

Originally Posted by jdoc1949
Yes looks like nice car, how much does salvage title take away for value, insurance cost more and sometimes they will not insure to full value, is that correct?
I'm no expert in insurance but you may be right. Well at the very least, it could be an affordable track project. (As if there were such a thing)
Old 06-06-2019, 07:29 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by jdoc1949
I think most people treat a Porsche with an accident as losing a few thousand at least so a salvage would probably be at least 5-10k off.

You’ll want to confirm you can get insurance coverage prior to buying a salvage car or be prepared to self insure
Old 06-06-2019, 12:21 PM
vhorister
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
It is really tough to say. I love the color: the "new" olive is much lighter than the classic olive from the 997 generation. It is dark metallic, rich green, almost like a dark pine.

You are paying a premium for the low mileage. I would expect it to be priced around $40k if it had around 40,000 miles. I would rather have a car with a bit higher mileage: 800 miles a year isn't much, so it was either used on some really short drives, or driven once every 2 months for a long drive. Sitting and cold starting is really hard on a car.

Edit: also get a borescope done. I have been comparing them recently. They absolutely do not correspond with mileage.
PPI done.
RMS leaking ( not a big deal)
visually inspection excellent.
oil pan dropped.
clean oil and filter
Bank 4 is clean
but 5 and 6 have bore scoring.....

feel bummed about it but that’s what PPI is for.
likely I will moved on..
Old 06-06-2019, 12:24 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by vhorister
PPI done.
RMS leaking ( not a big deal)
visually inspection excellent.
oil pan dropped.
clean oil and filter
Bank 4 is clean
but 5 and 6 have bore scoring.....

feel bummed about it but that’s what PPI is for.
likely I will moved on..
Can you post pictures of the scoring? There is a lot of debate about what is scoring and what is streaking
Old 06-06-2019, 12:32 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Can you post pictures of the scoring? There is a lot of debate about what is scoring and what is streaking
I'll second that. Pictures would be helpful.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:41 PM
vhorister
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
I'll second that. Pictures would be helpful.

I’m not a mechanic and I’m dependent on the expert assessment.
what do you think?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:52 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...902410016.html

If the PPI checks out, this may just be the deal of the decade.
Think about the fact that you will have to sell it roachy cheap when you get out of it. Cheaper going in, cheaper going out. Then you have the risk that they are lying to you about just how much damage there was. Insurance companies aren't stupid. They totaled it for a reason.

I bought a salvage BMW 325ES many years ago. The guys that work in that business lie as easy as they breathe air. It was a bit of drama getting the car right.

It is a smokin price. ... just be skeptical
Old 06-06-2019, 01:36 PM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

what do you think?
I think you should message Jake @ Flat 6 or Charles @ LN to take a look at the photos and see what they think. The commentary that I've read is that once there is scoring, it will progressively get worse. The question to me is, how long does it take to get from there to where it makes ticking sounds... how long does it take from ticking to get to where the engine must be repaired... and how long does it take to get from required repair to where the engine is not repairable.

I suspect that there are some of us who do not bore scope our cars that run perfectly fine today who might see something like in your pictures... and may drive our cars for thousands of miles and years without any issue or extra noise.

Did you take the car for a drive and did it make any noise?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:51 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

what do you think?
I'm not a mechanic nor an expert myself. It's hard when looking at pictures of pictures and I know I'm going to get flamed for saying this, but that looks like streaking to me. Did they scope it by pulling a spark plug or through the bottom of the cylinder when they dropped the sump? Some of the experts that contribute here (Charles, Jake, etc.) state that the best way to visually inspect for bore scoring is from the bottom of the cylinder with the piston at top dead center, as bore scoring will present itself at the bottom of the cylinder first.

I went through this whole thought process when I bought my car a few months ago and saw similar images on my #6 cylinder when they pulled the spark plug. I went ahead and bought the car but had some lingering doubt. After exchanging pics here on the back channel (PM) with other members with pics of their cylinders, I've come to the conclusion that some visible streaking in bore scope pics is normal for these engines and my Indy (who used to work for PCNA) agrees. I've owned my car about 3 months now and have about 600 miles on it since my oil change. The oil level has stayed at the same level, and there are no outward signs of bore scoring (no sooty tail pipe, no exhaust smoke, no ticking, etc). I also did a used oil analysis through Speediagnostix and everything came back within normal ranges. My car runs great and I feel good about my decision to buy the car.

What's debatable is if the streaking in the images you posted are "normal" considering the mileage. That I can't tell you. I can see why you have hesitations, especially if the shop you took it to is indicating to you that they are indeed scored.

Regardless of what you choose to do with this particular car, I would recommend you watch Jake Raby's series on bore scoring (Rennvision channel on YouTube) if you haven't already. Very informative.

Regarding the oil sump pic, that looked clean unless there is something there I can't see. Did they inspect the oil filter for debris?

I don't want to derail this into another Bore Scoring conversation. I can PM you the pics of my #6 cylinder if you'd like. Ultimately it's your money and you need to feel comfortable with the decision to buy the car or walk away.

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)