Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 11:10 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy Hazeltine

i showed my wife...”oh its an automatic, so i could drive it”. Hell no, gotta go manual just to keep it safe!
A Non-manual driving spouse sounds like grounds for marriage counseling! Mine seems to complain about anything that we could purchase that only has 2 pedals, although she drove a PDK last week and didn't hate it as much as she thought she would. Must have had something to do with the stop-and-go traffic.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Received 2,832 Likes on 1,516 Posts

As much as I personally prefer a three pedal fully manual car, calling a PDK an 'automatic' and lumping it with, say, the Tiptronic is really doing it a disservice IMHO.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:33 PM
1FlossedM3
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

Wife can drive manual, I have more concerns she will put it into a guard rail however.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:42 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

This one will be an interesting one to watch. A base 997.1, with no mods, and a tip. I think it looks like a very nice car, but will show what the bottom of the depreciation curve looks like. Linky: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-carrera-5/
Old 02-06-2018, 02:20 PM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by linderpat
This one will be an interesting one to watch. A base 997.1, with no mods, and a tip. I think it looks like a very nice car, but will show what the bottom of the depreciation curve looks like. Linky: https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...911-carrera-5/
Stripper, Tipper, high mileage, no records, and non S... It better go cheap! But dealer owned, so I'm betting either someone overpays or reserve not met.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:48 PM
robroy72
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat_Six_

No doubt. It’s the cheapest 997.2 C4S I’ve seen at that mileage. Accident isn’t a game killer if you can get documentation that it was fixed properly. And a good PPI to CYA ...
Carfax shows that the owner sold it a couple of months after the accident; I think that'd concern me.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:18 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In case anyone is interested, I looked into this 997.1 4S, as we are contemplating getting a 997. Buyer "came down" to $41,500, and after the PPI, dropped again to $40,000. Unfortunately, the PPI bill was $7,000. I passed, but I assume I made the right choice? This car doesn't seem like a $47,000 car from a private party seller. Originally he said it has the X51 power kit (which is super rare, there was one for sale over on the Bring a Trailer site recently) but that wasn't the case when looking at these pictures. The mechanic liked it, but was very matter-of-fact that the repairs should be fully discounted from the purchase price. Nice build: GT Silver, full leather, manual, Sport Chrono, 2008 4S.

Here is the car:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/skc/c...448457485.html

Last edited by ChristyT; 02-06-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:41 PM
srcn
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
In case anyone is interested, I looked into this 997.1 4S, as we are contemplating getting a 997. Buyer "came down" to $41,500, and after the PPI, dropped again to $40,000. Unfortunately, the PPI bill was $7,000. I passed, but I assume I made the right choice? This car doesn't seem like a $47,000 car from a private party seller. Originally he said it has the X51 power kit (which is super rare, there was one for sale over on the Bring a Trailer site recently) but that wasn't the case when looking at these pictures. The mechanic liked it, but was very matter-of-fact that the repairs should be fully discounted from the purchase price.

Here is the car: been up for sale for a LONG time.

I smell a fish.

I ran that VIN and got a car with an MSRP of $106k, but the ad says $120k. Though it makes sense if he was trying to claim in came with the PowerKit...$14k difference is the price of PowerKit.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:47 PM
SlickOne
Rennlist Member

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

In case anyone is interested, I looked into this 997.1 4S, as we are contemplating getting a 997. Buyer "came down" to $41,500, and after the PPI, dropped again to $40,000. Unfortunately, the PPI bill was $7,000. I passed, but I assume I made the right choice? This car doesn't seem like a $47,000 car from a private party seller. Originally he said it has the X51 power kit (which is super rare, there was one for sale over on the Bring a Trailer site recently) but that wasn't the case when looking at these pictures. The mechanic liked it, but was very matter-of-fact that the repairs should be fully discounted from the purchase price.

Here is the car: been up for sale for a LONG time.

What did the PPI say that the car needs?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:14 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by SlickOne

What did the PPI say that the car needs?

Belts, pulleys, tensioners, filters, battery, battery cables-wiring harnesses, clutch, RMS, tires, service. Brakes are good though. The mechanic liked the car, assuming it was brought up to date on service; he said both engine and tranny were strong and as they should be. I suppose caveat emptor applies, especially on CL cars.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:17 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by srcn
I smell a fish.

I ran that VIN and got a car with an MSRP of $106k, but the ad says $120k. Though it makes sense if he was trying to claim in came with the PowerKit...$14k difference is the price of PowerKit.
It wasn't really clear how it came to be that he had a powerkit: neither the build nor the pics show it. It is pretty distinctive; anyone will note the sport exhaust tip offset and carbon intake. If the selling dealer claimed it had one or provided a false build sheet (Porsche Bellevue); that is fraud. Perhaps a previous owner threw on X51 headers and somebody called it an X51 kit, but the PPI didn't note anything, and a build sheet and certificate of authenticity is almost always provided by any Porsche dealer.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:38 PM
Oregonian
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious as to your thoughts- at a purchase price of $40k plus $7k service/maint to bring it up to speed mechanically for a total of $47k it still doesn't sound too bad? I guess that depends on a few other factors: the mileage, the issue of the X-51 kit, and how the car stacks up from a cosmetic standpoint.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:00 AM
pfbz
Rennlist Member

In case anyone is interested, I looked into this 997.1 4S, as we are contemplating getting a 997. Buyer "came down" to $41,500, and after the PPI, dropped again to $40,000. Unfortunately, the PPI bill was $7,000. I passed, but I assume I made the right choice?
A few thoughts...

On the Sellers side, one would hope he (or she) is just clueless about the powerkit and original purchase price of the car rather than actively misrepresenting it, but it would definitely put me on high alert for other possible misrepresentations...

On the PPI side, Porsche's can be very expensive to roll into a shop and say 'fix whatever it needs'... If you posted the full ppi info, we could give you a better sense, but 'belts, pulleys, idlers, filters, battery' is all pretty common 60K maintenance stuff, and probably under $600 in parts and well within the capabilities of most weekend mechanics. I'd assume plugs and coils as well, along with a brake flush etc. Same with tires, $1,000+, but just a normal wear item. Clutch and RMS a bit bigger job, more $ and a bit too difficult for most weekend mechanics. Just make sure you don't have a PPI shop trying to drum up business vs. giving you an truly accurate snapshot of the car.

Did they check for over-revs? Stored error codes? Paint or body repair work?

Hows the interior and exterior condition? I've seen 50K mile 911's that look damn near showroom, and others that I wouldn't buy for half their owners asking prices...
Old 02-07-2018, 12:12 AM
jp.randall
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oregonian
Curious as to your thoughts- at a purchase price of $40k plus $7k service/maint to bring it up to speed mechanically for a total of $47k it still doesn't sound too bad? I guess that depends on a few other factors: the mileage, the issue of the X-51 kit, and how the car stacks up from a cosmetic standpoint.
$47k seems like the top end for a .1 C4S, especially private party. At 50k miles, that would be a no stories, well maintained, excellent cosmetic condition vehicle. Depending on cosmetics and faith in the PPI, I'd think the right price is somewhere at or below $37k.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:24 AM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by pfbz
A few thoughts...

On the Sellers side, one would hope he (or she) is just clueless about the powerkit and original purchase price of the car rather than actively misrepresenting it, but it would definitely put me on high alert for other possible misrepresentations...

On the PPI side, Porsche's can be very expensive to roll into a shop and say 'fix whatever it needs'... If you posted the full ppi info, we could give you a better sense, but 'belts, pulleys, idlers, filters, battery' is all pretty common 60K maintenance stuff, and probably under $600 in parts and well within the capabilities of most weekend mechanics. I'd assume plugs and coils as well, along with a brake flush etc. Same with tires, $1,000+, but just a normal wear item. Clutch and RMS a bit bigger job, more $ and a bit too difficult for most weekend mechanics. Just make sure you don't have a PPI shop trying to drum up business vs. giving you an truly accurate snapshot of the car.

Did they check for over-revs? Stored error codes? Paint or body repair work?

Hows the interior and exterior condition? I've seen 50K mile 911's that look damn near showroom, and others that I wouldn't buy for half their owners asking prices...
Sure, I hear you. I won't post the actual PPI as the car is not "mine" but here is a snapshot. This was from arguably the best shop in the Puget Sound area. I double checked pricing with another shop: they were saying close to $6k.

Needs full 40k service; belts are loud and there is play in the pulleys. Filters really dirty: has this ever had a full service?
Tires are from 2006 (winters) and installed backwards
RMS seeping. Recommend doing the clutch at the same time,
Fault codes, mostly a problem with low voltage. Front and rear wiring harnesses are bad, battery needs to be replaced. Expect that error codes will not be present with electrical system fixed.
Dent in driver's side door that will require body work, a few scratches on the rear of the car. Overall clean for the mileage. Interior clean.
Drivability: car drives well. Solid overall. Would recommend purchase if problems repaired or price adjusted accordingly.
No over-revs.

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)