Sponsored by:

MT Transmission gritty shifting woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2015, 07:53 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I installed the Numeric shifter myself and have it in the standard length. There is different pivot points with this product but I didn't want a short shifter. I drove a short shifter and I don't get it... not for me.

I contributed to this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-1-of-5-a.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks. You can't do much more than that.
Old 11-17-2015, 12:48 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,018 Likes on 724 Posts

Reading all this I have to wonder if I had something other than an OEM 6sp in the -06 C4S. That transmission was by far the best manual I ever drove. Snick, snick precision with hot knife through butter smoothness. And that was with a B&M short shift kit. Never, ever any of the issues discussed here, even when cold (gets close to freezing overnight occasionally in south Florida during winter). I traded that car with 43K miles on it and it was that good to that day.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:01 AM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Was Mobilube PTX the factory fill? Or was it developed more recently.
Old 11-17-2015, 06:47 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I am not sure but this is what I found on another forum:
"OEM fluid was "Shell Transaxle" is in fact Shell Helix Racing 75W90"

This is from Mobil homepage (especially interesting with the benefits part):

MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90

Axle Oil

Product Description

Mobilube PTX is a SAE 75W-90 multipurpose gear lubricant. It has been developed to provide outstanding performance specifically in Porsche 911 transaxles. It provides low temperature fluidity with high temperature stability ensuring excellent wear protection in these transaxles over a wide range of operating conditions.

Features and Benefits

The combination of synthetic base fluid technology and special high performance additives have been carefully formulated to meet the low temperature fluidity requirements of Porsche. It also provides excellent synchromesh compatibility and 'shiftability', whilst maintaining excellent wear protection.

Mobil PTX provides the following benefits:

•Excellent low temperature fluidity, giving easier gear changing from cold over conventional SAE 80W-90 and 75W-90 grades.
•Excellent synchromesh compatibility / durability.
•Good thermal /oxidative stability.
•High level of wear protection under some of the most severe conditions.

Specifications and Approvals

MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90 has the following approval:

Approved TE-ML 11 X

Typical Properties

MOBILUBE PTX 75W-90

Viscosity
cSt @ 100ºC 14.5
cSt @ 40º C 77.6
Viscosity Index 195
Flash Point, ºC 226
Pour Point, ºC -60
Density kg/m3 849
Old 11-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Reading all this I have to wonder if I had something other than an OEM 6sp in the -06 C4S. That transmission was by far the best manual I ever drove. Snick, snick precision with hot knife through butter smoothness. And that was with a B&M short shift kit. Never, ever any of the issues discussed here, even when cold (gets close to freezing overnight occasionally in south Florida during winter). I traded that car with 43K miles on it and it was that good to that day.
Agreed, best manual gearbox i've ever driven, smooth yet tough and precise. Mine's got 80,700 miles never had an issue.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:30 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Update: I put in the mobilube PTX today. Didn't have time for a proper test - just drove around the block for 5min.

First impressions are good. Not perfect, but good. The car was cold (it is -2C outside) and still shifted well in all gears except 2nd, which is still a bit notchy. Overall, I'd say definitely better than the redline mt75w90 i had in before. The redline felt lighter - I felt as if I had my hand on the gears. With the mobilube, the feeling is more muffled but fluid and so far I'm happy with the improvement.

I'll report more into the week after I get a chance to drive for a few days. I also hope to get time to do the numeric shifter and cables, maybe even the tranny mounts...
Old 01-03-2016, 04:17 AM
caslca
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

to close out this thread, I did the numeric shifter/cable install and my shifting has improved dramatically. I'm not sure if it was the cables or the shifter since I swapped both in one sitting. Here are some details on that:
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-turb...-addendum.html
Old 05-11-2018, 05:55 PM
DB_NC_95C2
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had a GBox 2nd gear detent put in my '02 986 S. I knew about the 2nd gear issue from a PPI, but believed it wasn't the synchros after doing some reading, and based on the cosmetic and otherwise mechanical condition, low mileage (already has LN IMS) and price made it worth getting. After reading, took it to a technician that’s a really good old-school independent who had learned about it and ordered one.
The GBox detent, coupled with losing the prior owner’s ill-advised short shift kit (I say ill-advised because he never researched the issue before putting in a short shift kit which just made the problem worse) did the trick. We also put in the Porsche Mobil One PTX 75W90. I chose new OEM shifter parts, not used.

It feels wonderful to be able to shift from 1st to 2nd or 3rd to 2nd with confidence and no grinding. When not warmed up I have to be careful, and to me it's worth a couple 1-to-3 shifts while it's warming up, because even though the grind is gone, the remnants are still there inside regarding teeth so why borrow trouble. Once warmed up, it's slick as it should be.

The prior owner was good with many things especially cosmetically in terms of the condition of the car and its paint which had been ceramic coated but somebody led him astray regarding the shift issue, probably whoever talked him into putting in a short shift kit. I bit my tongue ala 'why the f*** didn't you address the issue before putting a short shift kit', since I knew about the issue from the PPI I kept my mouth shut.

Seller swore by and convinced me to run Joe Gibbs Racing DT40 5w40 in it, I changed to that after driving it from CA to NC. I may switch my 993 to Joe Gibbs DT50 15w50.

I didn’t recall the shift throws in a 996 I had as being horrible and I don’t mind the throws in this 986 now that I’m back to a stock shiftgear shift set up with a GBox 2nd gear detent and new transmission fluid, now the car feels like it should.

Quick Reply: MT Transmission gritty shifting woes