Sponsored by:

Darn Flippers

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 09:09 AM
swc99
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Darn Flippers

I don't know about you guys but this kinda makes me mad. As far as Adams knew, his beautiful macadamia 997 GTS was going to a "great home." So much for that. This is why the GTS and other Porsches are getting out of my price range to justify driving and enjoying. Non-enthusiasts are just using them as a cash generator. Frustrating.

Rennlist Post:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...ed-manual.html

Flipper's Ad:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2559/overview/

Comments?
Old 05-05-2018, 10:22 AM
Meursault88
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

$10-12k hardly seems worth it even if they can get it - there's risk, transport costs, marketing, cost of capital, by the time a smart buyer prices the car down it's just a few k in profit. For the most part Porsche buyers know the market. And this one with the brown scheme doesn't have broad appeal in my opinion. The good news is - if you're looking for a base or S there just isn't enough margin normally to make it worth the time.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:24 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 63 Posts

Beautiful car.

If you want a great deal on anything, you have to keep a super close watch on the forums/autotrader/ebay/etc. Setup alerts if you can. And most importantly, be ready to JUMP on anything instantly that you see that interests you, with a lightning fast response. Have your cash (or method of payment) ready and on standby.

Flippers dont bother me. It is called supply and demand. The flipper is just taking a commission for doing what I just outlined above. If you want to save that commission, then do it yourself.

Good luck in your search! As a person who didnt buy a 997 until later in life, my advice to you would be... dont hesitate on a car you like because it is priced 15% more than one you saw online last month. These are amazing machines, and a great value even at market value. Which is why they dont last for long when a nice car is posted. I guarantee, once you get one, you wont be regretting that extra $10k you spent.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:26 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Meursault88
$10-12k hardly seems worth it even if they can get it - there's risk, transport costs, marketing, cost of capital, by the time a smart buyer prices the car down it's just a few k in profit. For the most part Porsche buyers know the market. And this one with the brown scheme doesn't have broad appeal in my opinion. The good news is - if you're looking for a base or S there just isn't enough margin normally to make it worth the time.
Agreed 100%. Maybe the seller just traded it in. I cant see flippers going after brown Porsches. LOL. Even though it is one of my favorite colours, they arent one of the most popular colours.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:43 AM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Macadamia looks much better in person. It’s hard to photograph it properly if you don’t know what your doing.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:22 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DC911S
Macadamia looks much better in person. It’s hard to photograph it properly if you don’t know what your doing.
Its definitely a gorgeous colour.
Old 05-05-2018, 11:29 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Meursault88
$10-12k hardly seems worth it even if they can get it - there's risk, transport costs, marketing, cost of capital, by the time a smart buyer prices the car down it's just a few k in profit.
Welcome to the car business.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:29 PM
swc99
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the good advice guys. Funny, though, looks like the buyer posed as one of us rennlist enthusiasts. The seller thought the car was going to a "good home."
Old 05-05-2018, 02:02 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by WantA997
Welcome to the car business.
+100

In my search, I've seen some very clean, low mileage 911's sell privately only to end up at CCS with a marginal mark up.

This GT3 RS spent more time being flipped then being driven. Now it's at my local Porsche dealership.

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...modelCode1=911

https://www.ccsmotors.com/2011-porsc...t3-rs-c-24.htm
Old 05-05-2018, 02:29 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 274 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by halo777
Beautiful car.

If you want a great deal on anything, you have to keep a super close watch on the forums/autotrader/ebay/etc. Setup alerts if you can. And most importantly, be ready to JUMP on anything instantly that you see that interests you, with a lightning fast response. Have your cash (or method of payment) ready and on standby.

Flippers dont bother me. It is called supply and demand. The flipper is just taking a commission for doing what I just outlined above. If you want to save that commission, then do it yourself.

Good luck in your search! As a person who didnt buy a 997 until later in life, my advice to you would be... dont hesitate on a car you like because it is priced 15% more than one you saw online last month. These are amazing machines, and a great value even at market value. Which is why they dont last for long when a nice car is posted. I guarantee, once you get one, you wont be regretting that extra $10k you spent.

Agree completely. It baffles me how many people on here are so laser-focused on getting “a steal”, instead of finding the best car and acting quickly. Being motivated by a steal is the very reason why scammers find success. It is shocking how may posters on here spend great amounts of time trying to justify a car with an accident history, repaint, bad mods and all sorts of red flags, just so they can “score a deal”. The smart buyer will spend his or her effort looking for the best example, and then be ready willing and able to jump on it! The best 911’s will always be desirable. The steals are usually a “steal” for a reason. Sellers aren’t stupid. And frankly, if you want to point the fingers at someone, perhaps you should be frustrated that the original seller asked far too little for a heavily optioned, low miles GTS and made it a no-brainer for a dealer to purchase and flip. Heck, I almost considered it myself on that one.
Old 05-05-2018, 03:31 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Not mad.

It's double edged. Sure it kinda sucks for prices to get artificially inflated because of this kind of action, at the same time for people who already have a 997 (or whatever other kind of car that is seeing this).. its good. Free market economy doing its thing. You just gotta be johnny on the spot. Plus nobody is going to pay 89k for that car. At least not for another few years
Old 05-05-2018, 06:15 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah, but what are you going to do? Someone besides a dealer could have grabbed the Macadamia car, but nobody did. The car was priced reasonably for what it was, and if I were the seller, I would sell it to the first guy who comes up with the money. If you are patient, wait for the bottom to fall out of the GTS market; at some point, the musical chairs will stop. Look at the GT4: nobody can sell them; even private party cars sit at $8k under MSRP. Having driven the GTS, it is nice, but can I tell a difference between it and a similar equipped 2S? No. It is overpriced at $20-25k over a nice 2S.

The simple fact is that private party cars RARELY sell on here, even for reasonable money. There are lots of nice cars, but it seems the obsessive kind of buyer who comes to the classified 4x a day is too tied into getting a "deal" and not moving on the right car. As a retail business owner, I can say that the good customers are not the ones that have an industry in, "know someone", or in general have up to the minute pricing info. The best ones know what they want, have the money to purchase, and when the right product comes up, jump on it and are done.

There are nice cars out there. Nico sold his 14k mile 997.2 C4S manual in Atlas Grey last year for $54k. Sure, it had a stupid carfax incident, but it was literally a corner bumper indentation and a $350 repair, and only got reported because a cop was pulling through. I would much rather have that car and a lot of mods and track time vs some museum piece GTS for $80k.

Regarding the other post: I don't see how the dealer would make much on that car either. Perhaps if it were a trade, and the car was in front of him, but without a PPI and budgeting for unexpected repairs, plus shipping, and after getting negotiated down, he will be lucky to make a few thousand.

Here is a somewhat unrelated question: if margins are so tight in the car business, why are there so many dealers? Who wants that kind of stress if they aren't going to make good money selling cars?
Old 05-05-2018, 06:18 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DC911S
Was that 991 GT3 for sale awhile back Macadamia? That was the best looking GT3 I have ever seen! Almost purple in the right light. Wow
Old 05-05-2018, 06:20 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Was that 991 GT3 for sale awhile back Macadamia? That was the best looking GT3 I have ever seen! Almost purple in the right light. Wow
Mahogany Metallic. I'd be lying if I said I didn't consider catching the first flight to Cali with a bank draft. Without a doubt my favourite .1 colour, and that particular example was exceptionally well optioned. Oh well.
Old 05-05-2018, 06:21 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by halo777
Beautiful car.

+1000

The right car can easily be worth 15% more than one with issues and lack of service or ownership history. These are rare enough, especially when options and colors are considered, that the right car will not last long, and you may not see another like it for years!

Quick Reply: Darn Flippers