Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.1 IMS failure

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM
MBMotorsports
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unfortunately, in today's world knowledge is the key and costs a lot of money if you lack it! If you have it you can make a lot of money. Many people don't understand what I do and why I do certain things, I do not intend to explain anything because I use my knowledge to make my money. I can give you a hint of what I do in pictures below. Take a look and decide for yourself if this is big damage. Everyone can buy junk insurance cars, good luck to them! Some cars have a bumper to bumper damage on parking lot and get a salvage title because of that and car fax report. Other cars have a clean title despite the damage, which really makes me laugh. I've been to Carmax many times, they claim all of their cars are accident free, which is not true. Every other car there has been painted, but people who don't know what to look for get royally screwed everyday. All other dealers selling used Porsches do the same thing. They buff and polish them to make them shiny, but I take one look at it and know exactly which element has been repainted. Other people don't even notice these things because dealer says accident free and clean title- BS! My customers who come for pre purchase inspection are amazed how dealers do not disclose any info regarding paint jobs and accidents.
People don't realize it but EVERY American dealer has a body shop either in the back or next door somewhere where customers cannot see it! They only purchase clean title and clean carfax cars because they can sell them later. It doesn't matter what condition the car is.
I can also tell you that I know examples of US dealerships selling new factory cars being painted all over. Believe it or not, I have seen it with my own eyes and couldn't believe it. One case was hail damage on the lot, all had to be painted, brand new! Do you think they said anything to the buyers? NO! Title was clean, brand new car from the dealer, zero miles, who would suspect any damage?
Second example (really got me goosebumps) my friend who owns a body shop told me a story of a carrier who damaged brand new Cayennes while going under the bridge. All roofs and front ends were damaged. Before he delivered them to the dealer he came to my friends shop to get them fixed and told the broker he had truck problems so they don't question late delivery. So next time you have your car shipped and "truck breaks down" better check your paint job because it might mean your car is in the body shop!
You might laugh at Europe, believe me I've heard many stories, but none are as frightening as in America. There is a lot of **** sold in beautiful packages, people swallow it like fresh bread. This is how money is made in US.
As to Poland, system there is different. There is no carfax and no such thing as clean or salvage title. The only way to know what you're buying is to find a professional who can inspect the car for you, same as here. Anyone who is smart enough to pay money for ppi knows how much money it can save you. People in Poland know it well.
My buyers from Europe (not only from Poland) usually have damaged cars which are not worth fixing and they just transfer their engines to my rollers. Insurance there works differently than in US. They pay for the damage and owner gets to keep the car. If there is total loss and owner doesn't want to keep the car, then the body shops purchase this car. There is no Copart or IAA in Germany, body shops purchase cars directly from insurance.
The more you travel the more you know how everything works.
BTW, MB Motorsports Facebook link is below my picture, just click on the FB icon or visit www.facebook.com/porscherepairservice.

Front right damage 996 with 51k miles.

Another 996 with 56k miles, small damage in the front and rear bumper stolen from insurance lot.

This car has minimal damage in the front, missing parts (stolen from insurance lot) and rear bumper missing.

996 with 38k miles and 3.6l x51 engine

Engine removed from 996 with 38k miles.
Old 06-01-2015, 12:26 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

I agree with you that no matter where you are, a thorough PPI from a competent shop is always a necessity, when buying a used luxury car being represented as clean, and priced accordingly.
Old 06-01-2015, 01:25 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by MBMotorsports
People don't realize it but EVERY American dealer has a body shop either in the back or next door somewhere where customers cannot see it! They only purchase clean title and clean carfax cars because they can sell them later. It doesn't matter what condition the car is.
I personally have stood at a Mercedes factory body shop in an import port where sometimes severely damaged cars were rebuilt from shipping damage. I saw some pretty smashed up cars being re-built. The ex-owner of the local, long time Ferrari body shop told me he got into the business a long time ago when the Ferrari importer asked him to set up shop re-painting Ferraris fresh from the factory before delivery because American customers would not take delivery due to the poor paint coming out of the Ferrari factory.... something that never ended.

(Another quick story: A few months ago, I stood next to new Ferrari at a body shop where the body shop owner showed me, under a bright lamp, actual runs in the paint that were cut down by Ferrari... just crap.)

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-01-2015, 02:28 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Finally, we are all in agreement. Trust no one! Which is exactly my point about these pricey used engines with no warranty.

The only guy I am trusting is the guy with the impeccable reputation, who has been at the forefront of identifying and engineering solutions for the multiple points of weakness in the m96/m97 engines. The same guy who posts pics like this of his engines being built...

The guy with the engine build room that is cleaner than my kitchen

That is the guy I choose to rebuild my engine (if it ever goes kaboom).

But hey, that is just me.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:06 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought a pricey used engine with no warranty - it just happened to be installed in an 05 Carrera S.
Old 06-01-2015, 03:33 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

How much did you pay for it?
Old 06-01-2015, 04:37 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

Originally Posted by halo777
Finally, we are all in agreement. Trust no one! Which is exactly my point about these pricey used engines with no warranty.
I'm impressed with your anlysis.... I didn't put that much thought behind it for a few reasons:

1) The economics killed my car. 2000 Boxster S with 195K miles.... $20-25K to get it going vs $53K for a 2009 C2S with 26K miles (this was 3.5 years ago but still an unbelievable deal). So, for around $25K (using my wife's logic) I got a new, more powerful, and luxurious Porsche. (I actually like my old Boxster better)

2) I only compared a Jake Raby engine with a Porsche dealer install (but a 2 year warranty!!!)

3) Raby upgraded everything plus I got about 50 more HP for around the same price as the dealer (no brainer there for me).

I still wonder what it would be like to have that Boxster with 300HP in a 2900 LB chassis.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-01-2015, 09:20 PM
MBMotorsports
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only guy I am trusting is the guy with the impeccable reputation, who has been at the forefront of identifying and engineering solutions for the multiple points of weakness in the m96/m97 engines. The same guy who posts pics like this of his engines being built...

The guy with the engine build room that is cleaner than my kitchen

That is the guy I choose to rebuild my engine (if it ever goes kaboom).

But hey, that is just me.
Those are great pics. Here's a couple from my disasembly line from today, one 3.4l and one 3.6l engine. I always maintain sterile cleanliness in engine areas, it's very important to do the job right.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:12 PM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Impressive
Old 06-02-2015, 02:21 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
I'm impressed with your anlysis.... I didn't put that much thought behind it for a few reasons:

1) The economics killed my car. 2000 Boxster S with 195K miles.... $20-25K to get it going vs $53K for a 2009 C2S with 26K miles (this was 3.5 years ago but still an unbelievable deal). So, for around $25K (using my wife's logic) I got a new, more powerful, and luxurious Porsche. (I actually like my old Boxster better)

2) I only compared a Jake Raby engine with a Porsche dealer install (but a 2 year warranty!!!)

3) Raby upgraded everything plus I got about 50 more HP for around the same price as the dealer (no brainer there for me).

I still wonder what it would be like to have that Boxster with 300HP in a 2900 LB chassis.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Yeah, that would have been one awesome Boxster for sure.

I dont mind dumping a ton of money into a car in upgrades and modifications (well exceeding the value of the car) as long as it is a car Ill want to keep for a long time. In fact, I actually purchase my cars with higher mileage and no warranty, with the intent to mod them as things break. So, my way of analyzing a situation will be different than a lot of other automotive enthusiasts, who may just like to keep things stock.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:39 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Halo,
You will be rewarded :-)
Old 06-02-2015, 11:41 AM
halo777
Rennlist Member

hey Jake! Just doing my best to pass on all the info I gathered when I was faced with a similar situation, so that people can make a well-informed decision.

I realize that everyone has different criteria when deciding how to repair a damaged or failed m96/m97 engine. So what makes sense for me isn't necessarily the right path for everyone. I strongly believe in 'doing it once, and doing it right' so that largely influences my decision making process.
Old 06-02-2015, 12:10 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

I realize that everyone has different criteria when deciding how to repair a damaged or failed m96/m97 engine. So what makes sense for me isn't necessarily the right path for everyone. I strongly believe in 'doing it once, and doing it right' so that largely influences my decision making process.
Completely agree. When I lost my motor in my 996 I contacted Jake for "Refreshed" not "Rebuilt or Reconstructed" motor. I went back to him because the 1st experience was a good one and ended up with Track Performer Stage 2 4.0. But I do know that everyone has their different take on things and / or situations. The stars aligned for me and I'm sleeping well with my choice.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:22 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

No way I would pay $25K to put a new engine in my 10 yr old car with 60K on the trans and every other moving part; with fading carpets, shiny/crinkled leather, peeling interior paint, foam bits blowing out the A/C vents, fading clearcoat, rattling sunroof, etc etc etc (none of which afflicts my 12 yr old Merc with double the mileage btw). Making a silk purse out of a sow's ear as they say. I'm all for keeping my car vs spending $25K to trade up, but that's assuming it's in running condition. If the engine blew I'd rather put the money into a newer car. And it definitely would not be another Porsche if this one grenades at that low mileage.
Old 06-02-2015, 03:47 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Here's the counterpoint to Ben Z's opinon.

I have so much invested (both time & money) into my 997 with the RUF supercharger package, suspension mods, CF Interior trim, bodywork, etc that I would absolutely replace the engine with a Jake Raby 4.0 and have actually talked about doing just that with him for future bulletproof-ness and to preserve the car. I don't see myself ever selling this car - Porsches come through a one-way door at my house, but that's a different issue and support group - LOL

I am the 3rd owner of this car and still personally have over $100k into it. Once the engine granades, you can't really use the core for the rebuilt motor as there is collateral damage and a used core engine has to be sourced into which to put his upgraded parts. I look at it like what could I sell the car for with a blown motor (guessing at maybe $20k although I could also part it out and get a lot more for that if I wanted to spend the time) plus the $25k cost of a rebuilt motor, compared to what can I buy for $45k plus a bit of additional money invested, so maybe $60k that will have anywhere near the performance, exclusiveness, and personal touches that my car currently has, and the answer always comes back "Nothing". If I had a stock or slightly personalized 997 then I might share the other viewpoint, but for the car I currently have and love, it's essentially irreplaceable and would receive a Jake Raby engine if that ever becomes necessary.

Quick Reply: 997.1 IMS failure