Sponsored by:

997.1 IMS failure

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 01:55 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by DenholmReynholm
Just a quick update to this thread now that it's a year later and the car is back in action. While the wait was painful, the process overall has been great. The communication with Jake and his team along the way was top notch, and the car was returned to me ahead of schedule and exactly at the agreed-upon price. While I went with the 4.0L rebuild - I couldn't just go through all this just to get it back exactly as it was - I didn't tick any additional upgrade boxes so I got a nice boost in midrange torque but no dramatic performance changes. It's just what I expected, and is definitely a fun improvement.

Since it got back I've had a few minor issues that have turned out to be unrelated to the rebuild (I got to spend some quality time wrestling the coolant tank out of the engine bay due to intermittent coolant leaks) and Jake and his guys have been good about helping sort through diagnoses to make sure all was well with the engine.

Thanks to everyone who provided advice originally. Going with Jake's 4.0L build was the right decision for me.
You were a class act to work with! Enjoyed sharing a year with you!
Old 10-04-2016, 03:58 PM
Gerg
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

A year!?
Old 10-04-2016, 04:36 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 130 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Gerg
A year!?
When high quality is sought after, the line forms.

It takes a year.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:09 AM
DenholmReynholm
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be clear, for most of that year I was just waiting for my turn to come up and the car was still with me. This wasn't one of those projects that unexpectedly drags out once the car is in the shop. A year was what I was told to expect before I agreed to move forward with the rebuild, and that estimate was right on.
Old 10-05-2016, 02:49 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
When high quality is sought after, the line forms.

It takes a year.
And I absolutely refuse to change my practices to speed up processes. Here there's no assembly line, and you won;t find more than one engine on each of the three engine builders bench here. The same person that removes the engine from the vehicle, and disassembles it, is the same person who machines all the parts, preps all components, assembles the engine, and re- installs it into the car.

No one else here touches it until its time for the evaluation to be carried out, post procedure.

This is not fast, but it doesn't matter. You won't find a single clock in any work area, and no one has a calendar. I know exactly how much time our procedures will take, so each proposal has dates when the project will be completed. We hit that target every time.

All my employees know exactly what they will be doing in 13 months from now, and every purchaser knows when their engine will be completed. No missed dates, no over promising, and no BS image crap.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
This is not fast, but it doesn't matter. You won't find a single clock in any work area, and no one has a calendar. I know exactly how much time our procedures will take, so each proposal has dates when the project will be completed. We hit that target every time.

All my employees know exactly what they will be doing in 13 months from now, and every purchaser knows when their engine will be completed. No missed dates, no over promising, and no BS image crap.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:21 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
And I absolutely refuse to change my practices to speed up processes. Here there's no assembly line, and you won;t find more than one engine on each of the three engine builders bench here. The same person that removes the engine from the vehicle, and disassembles it, is the same person who machines all the parts, preps all components, assembles the engine, and re- installs it into the car.

No one else here touches it until its time for the evaluation to be carried out, post procedure.

I'll give Flat 6 some praise that I've never mentioned before - not even to them. 3 years ago I sent my car down 600 miles for an IMS solution. Part of the service included a new clutch. I didn't mention to them that I had a new clutch installed within the last 6 months or so. It wasn't intentional but I just didn't pay any attention to it. When they finished the job they tell me that my clutch was prestine and deducted that portion off the bill. I would never had know the difference and I respect that kind of honesty and integrity.

Quick Reply: 997.1 IMS failure