Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a wing from a Turbo on my C2S

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 09:08 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 357 Posts

just wonder if the turbo wing is one of the reasons you sell the car.
No. I really like it a lot. And I can certainly tell you don't. There are many of both sides of that fence.

The whole sale thing has me even analyzing why the heck I'm selling the car... but I really do know the answers. So if you are interested and willing to let me bore you, read on... otherwise you can just click away now.

There are three:

1) I can't stop looking at new cars. As discussed recently in another thread in the forum, there are those of us that can't seem to avoid flipping cars fairly often and I've well exceeded my normal time with this car. I recently was invited to drive the new 2017 C2S at Circuit of the Americas at track speeds and that seems to have kick-started this idea to sell and get something newer. That car really helped dispel any thoughts in my mind that the 991 models were not great cars.

2) I like projects. I've enjoyed doing all of the upgrading work and it has kept me quite happily occupied for a time, but now I've run out of upgrades that I think are wise to pursue. Without projects, I get somewhat bored.

3) I tend to savor the latest tech available and work hard to thoroughly understand it. If you've read some of my other posts here you probably know this. Yes I have many of the latest tech toys, iPhone 6S, 1080p dash cam, top-of-the-line MacBook Pro, great TV, fiber optic connectivity in the home, etc. However, that's paid off for me in the long run and helped me in my roles as video game developer, technical director for a high tech defense company, and currently an architect for a next-generation transportation effort. The income from those kind of jobs has helped sustain the whole cycle!

A final consideration in my head is that I keep playing with the idea of getting a Turbo or in a different direction, a GT4. I have a need, a need for acceleration (and speed is nice too when appropriate, and well yeah, handling too). But I may not go that far since the 991 Turbos and the handful of GT4s you can find are still rather pricey. We'll see. I'm looking forward to a prolonged and thorough hunt.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:36 AM
marsirover
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your choice

Thank you for your long, deep response.
In contrary, I was contemplating of adding a wing to my car, and the turbo wing is my favorite.
I was looking at turbo for almost a year before deciding with the 4S. I like its wing and speed but thinking that I won't be able to use its full potential without risk of speeding tickets. Plus didn't want to spend an extra $20-25K for a turbo.

So I was thinking about adding the turbo wings.
That's the main reason I'm asking if you are no longer like it after a few years. Since with some self doubt that I might head down the same road.
Cheers.
The turbo wing looks great on your car
Old 06-05-2016, 09:43 AM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

I was considering adding one to my GTS. Started the process by committing to buy a wing, and did buy and receive an Aerokit front splitter. Unfortunately, a large unexpected home maintenance expense is eating up any discretionary $$ right now.

See PM.
Old 07-27-2016, 09:24 AM
wolfnards
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if a Turbo intake inbox can replace a 997.2 non-turbo air box? I ordered the 997.1 turbo wing and don't want to resort to a 3rd party intake for turbo wing/hydraulics filament.
Old 11-14-2016, 09:58 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, 5 months later, I'm at the start of the project. Had some initial issues, but with the help of StormRune, Petza914, and DaveCarrera 4, moving forward.
Old 11-14-2016, 10:35 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,175 Likes on 748 Posts

Good luck Joe. Keep us updated. Let us know if we can help.
Old 11-15-2016, 11:43 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

So, a day later, I'm postponing. The wing's operation has been tested and is good. It's been disassembled and is at the paint shop. And, although I've read through the DIY three times, it only hit me this afternoon that I'll need to change out my airbox for an aftermarket unit so the hydraulics will fit. No can do, I'm CPO.

I'll pick up the pieces tomorrow, and store in my loft until May when my CPO expires. In the meantime, I can go hunting for the aftermarket airbox.

See you in May.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:00 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 158 Posts

LOL CPO
Just do it!
Old 11-16-2016, 01:54 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

Like said somewhere else on here I bought Storm's car, still here in Texas. Need any measurements, photos etc. glad to share. It is an excellent car. Usually pass on modded cars but this one was done right. Might change out the wheels some day is all. Not black.
Old 11-16-2016, 08:51 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have already done this and with a cpo car... my dealer didn't care all that much about the air box. The best airbox for the hydraulics legs to fit in is the Evolution air box which is reasonable in price as well... and it sounds fantastic when paired with a Gundo hack exhaust as well. I also moved the fan over a bit so it fit in the opening for air consumption using a few small fabricated parts.

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
So, a day later, I'm postponing. The wing's operation has been tested and is good. It's been disassembled and is at the paint shop. And, although I've read through the DIY three times, it only hit me this afternoon that I'll need to change out my airbox for an aftermarket unit so the hydraulics will fit. No can do, I'm CPO.

I'll pick up the pieces tomorrow, and store in my loft until May when my CPO expires. In the meantime, I can go hunting for the aftermarket airbox.

See you in May.
Old 11-16-2016, 12:28 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
LOL CPO
Just do it!
OK, you talked me into it. I'm going for it now.

Where to buy the Evolution airbox?
Old 11-16-2016, 02:33 PM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad to see you're going for it!
Old 11-16-2016, 02:52 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by Own Goal
Like said somewhere else on here I bought Storm's car, still here in Texas. Need any measurements, photos etc. glad to share. It is an excellent car. Usually pass on modded cars but this one was done right. Might change out the wheels some day is all. Not black.
Hey Jim! Glad to see you are enjoying it. I hope it was a blast on your recent road trip. And yeah, changing the wheels kept coming up high on my list; I understand that one.

If I could just talk my wife into things so easily! You didn't seem to need a lot of push!

BTW, I had no width problems with the Fabspeed intake on mine. If the Evolution option doesn't pan out, I'd recommend checking with Fabspeed and verifying that their end-to-end width will work for you. I know the photo of the one in Pete's message in different than the one that I used, now the one that you'll find on Jim's (Own Goal's), which is also different that the carbon fiber ones a little bit. Maybe Jim could verify the end-to-end measurement on the one in his car? Jim?

I think the fitment on Pete's car (the pioneer of this to my knowledge) was different since I'm pretty sure he had a 997.1 and mine was a 997.2.
Old 11-16-2016, 02:54 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Mine was a 997.1 I assume they make for a 997.2 but have to call...

https://www.evoms.com/
Old 11-16-2016, 04:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,366 Likes on 4,057 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
I think the fitment on Pete's car (the pioneer of this to my knowledge) was different since I'm pretty sure he had a 997.1 and mine was a 997.2.
Correct, both my 997s are .1 C2S models (wife's has the EVOMS intake and I have the Fabspeed J-Pipe. It's also possible that the CF rear decklid from RUF locates the hydraulics slightly differently since they're not using an OEM wing, but rather their own. It's also possible that the Fabspeed Y-Pipe for the .2s, because the angle of the intake plenum and throttle body are different is maybe narrower at the back and you won't have the same issue I did.

My issue with the Fabspeed .1 Y-Pipe was that in order to clear the passenger side hydraulics, I had to cut off a couple inches of that side's CF pipe. This did not leave enough straight pipe for the filter to mount straight, which not only looked bad, but also may not have allowed the incoming air to run straight enough, as I had runnability issues with the Y-Pipe that went away as soon as I changed back to the J-Pipe. Compounding that propblem was that the air filters supplied with the Y-Pipe are actually taller than the one I had with the J-Pipe so the measurements and pre-calculations I had made had to be adjusted and that right side pipe is already short and I had to make is shorter.

Y-Pipe with Cut Right Side

J-Pipe Setup

My other hypothesis is that because my car is supercharged, doesn't use a Stock MAF, nor a stock DME (it's from a Twin Turbo), that the Y-Pipe might have supplied way too much air for the fuel system to compensate for with the correct fuel trims, so the car was too lean. Rather than looking at larger injectors or messing with the RUF tune, it was simpler and cleaner to go back to the J-Pipe setup that works really well in this setup.

In looking at the EVOMS website, I don't show that they list an airbox for the .2 DFI car so as mickfluff says, you might have to call and inquire. It should be on this page of their website.
http://www.evoms.com/category_s/1916.htm

Quick Reply: Installing a wing from a Turbo on my C2S