Sponsored by:

Installing a wing from a Turbo on my C2S

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 02:31 PM
LUXEMBOURGER
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing decklid from C2S to Turbo

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm interested in doing this the other way around- installing a C2S decklid in order to get rid of the Turbo wings.
It's a matter of personal preference, and I just happen to like the understated look of the C2S.

(i) Can you tell me what is needed to enable the swap? Looks like the air ducts might already be in the right place, or...
(ii) If anyone has access to photos of a TURBO with a C2S decklid, that would be much appreciated

Thank you!
Old 05-24-2015, 02:51 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by LUXEMBOURGER
Hello everyone, this is my first post and I'm interested in doing this the other way around- installing a C2S decklid in order to get rid of the Turbo wings.
It's a matter of personal preference, and I just happen to like the understated look of the C2S.

(i) Can you tell me what is needed to enable the swap? Looks like the air ducts might already be in the right place, or...
(ii) If anyone has access to photos of a TURBO with a C2S decklid, that would be much appreciated

Thank you!
inb4 someone says that your car will no longer be stable because of downforce. lol.

I prefer the understated look of the non-turbo spoiler also. There's one guy who did it and had pictures posted.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:35 PM
LUXEMBOURGER
Intermediate

Default Link?

lol. Do you have a link to the brave man who managed to conclude this swap?
Old 05-24-2015, 06:05 PM
barbancourt
Burning Brakes

Received 503 Likes on 277 Posts

Originally Posted by LUXEMBOURGER
lol. Do you have a link to the brave man who managed to conclude this swap?
Link to thread here

Old 05-24-2015, 06:58 PM
LUXEMBOURGER
Intermediate

Nice. Thx!
Old 05-25-2015, 12:01 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 357 Posts

Here is what I think I can contribute:
The wiring harness connector for both the Turbo wing deck lid and the non-Turbo spoiler are the same. The non-Turbo wing uses the same signals/connections as the one in your Turbo connector to do their raising/lowering actuator and top and bottom of travel sensing.

The thing that may be a problem (maybe the thread above covers this) is that on the car side of the connector the non-Turbos have a wire leading back into the car to turn the high mounted brake light above the deck lid (and under the window) on and off. Turbos may be missing that wire. This wire is fed up from the inside of the car and comes up behind the rearmost carpeted panel and passes through a grommet just underneath the high mounted brake light panel. If you are interested in the wiring diagram of the deck lid and harness of the two cars PM me with your email address and I can send them to you as PDFs (I have ones for a 2009 C2S and a 2010 Turbo). You can see that extra wire in the C2S diagram is missing in the Turbo diagram.

Of course, you also have the problem that your car does not have the high mounted brake light in the first place, just the one in the wing. Maybe someone swapping deck lids with you would also swap this panel as well, but even then you won't have the wiring for it as mentioned above.

I'm not sure about the whether the incoming air duct will match up or not. I got lucky (BTW I'm OP of this thread) and the outlets for the Turbo inlets just happen sit right above my Fabspeed intake cones. I don't know if they would line up with the stock airbox since I couldn't use it.

The fan mounts are slightly different so you'd probably want to change fans (a little more than a $100) but some have fabricated brackets to do this. And not a real problem, but a C2 deck lid hinge will not have the connection point for the hydraulic cylinder to hold the deck lid on the left side hinge (a Turbo has them on both sides), but you won't need it so you can just remove the left side cylinder and not use it (but keep your original hinge with just an unused mounting point).

That's about all I can think of. Good luck with the change!
Old 05-25-2015, 06:10 AM
LUXEMBOURGER
Intermediate

Originally Posted by StormRune
Here is what I think I can contribute:
Great StormRune- you're running a fantastic tread here and I'm grateful for the constructive response.

So if I understand this right (from the perspective of a TT owner):
1. Get a C2/C2S/C4S decklid with the breaklight panel, as the breaklight of the TT is on the wing itself
2. Depending on the physical wiring, the TT might miss an operating top mounted breaklight - to be cross-checked / confirmed
3. Airducts/fans to match the engine, not the lid (ie. in my case keep the TT airducts/fans)

Questions:
(i) It seems that all non-turbo coupe (C2 or C2S or C4S) decklids breaklight panels are the same part no for all coupes. Is this correct?
(ii) When changing fans, what would a TT owner need to go for? Sounds like I'd need to keep the TT fan, or is it better to get a C2 fan to match the C2 lid?
(iii) Hopefully by keeping the TT airducts, they would plug into the C2 decklid nicely..

Did I miss sthng?

Last edited by LUXEMBOURGER; 05-28-2015 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:52 PM
LUXEMBOURGER
Intermediate

(bump)
Old 05-28-2015, 05:59 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Sorry about that, somehow I didn't notice I had pending questions!

(i) It seems that all non-turbo coupe (C2 or C2S or C4S) decklids breaklight panels are the same part no for all coupes. Is this correct?
I believe that is correct. The Turbo panel was the same width as my C2S panel. As you noted, I think you will find you don't have any wiring for the brake light though.

(ii) When changing fans, what would a TT owner need to go for? Sounds like I'd need to keep the TT fan, or is it better to get a C2 fan to match the C2 lid?
The bolt pattern is different between the two fans although they are close. Also the Turbo fan has 4 bolts and the the C2 fan only has 3. The easiest solution would be to get a C2 fan since it would just bolt right on. You may be able to get the Turbo fan to fit but I don't think all of the holes would line up. You might have to use brackets or only screw in two of the holes. I don't know if the misalignment would cause any clearance problems though. The other question I don't know is whether the Turbo fan moves more air or not. It doesn't seem like a big difference to me but I'm not certain.

One other note: The engine compartment light on a Carrera is on the arm sticking out from the side of the fan while yours is in the back center of the deck lid near the latch. If you don't switch fans you will have no engine compartment light.

(iii) Hopefully by keeping the TT airducts, they would plug into the C2 decklid nicely.
Hopefully they will but I don't know. When I had similar questions, my Porsche dealer let me look at the underside of a Turbo decklid. I'd suggest asking the dealer to let you look at a Carrera in the year range you are considering as a donor. Use a tape measure and check the placement of the air inlets on the airbox relative to the side and back of the body and compare the measurements to your car and see if they match up.
Old 05-28-2015, 08:46 PM
LUXEMBOURGER
Intermediate

That's very helpful. Sounds like the most likely recepie from the perspective of a TT owner is:

(1) Depending on the physical wiring, the TT might miss an operating top mounted breaklight- to be cross-checked / confirmed

(2) Get a C2/4 decklid (if breaklight wiring is available on the TT, together with C2 breaklight panel)

(3) Use the C2 fans to match the C2 lid (capacity to be cross-checked)

(4) Keep TT airducts (fitment to be cross-checked)

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2015, 03:22 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 94 Posts

Luxembourger, did you do this? If so, since I want to install a Turbo wing on my GTS, sell me yours!!
Old 10-13-2015, 09:33 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default went reverse

I added Turbo wing on a c2s with fully functioning hydraulic wing blade etc...

I like the direction your doing with a none turbo rear deck lid and always thought that would look slick on a turbo... or a Duck
Attached Images   
Old 06-02-2016, 11:24 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Well... please excuse the self-promotion... but I figured if I could find folks interested in buying a 997.2 C2S PDK with a Turbo wing already working on it then my own thread on the subject is the place to go.

I've decided to list my car for sale and it not only includes the functioning Turbo wing but a number of other goodies on a highly optioned car. If you think you might be interested, please look at my ad here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-optioned.html.

Thanks for looking!
Old 06-02-2016, 11:40 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Well... please excuse the self-promotion... but I figured if I could find folks interested in buying a 997.2 C2S PDK with a Turbo wing already working on it then my own thread on the subject is the place to go.

I've decided to list my car for sale and it not only includes the functioning Turbo wing but a number of other goodies on a highly optioned car. If you think you might be interested, please look at my ad here:
https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-optioned.html.

Thanks for looking!
Hope the sale goes well. I do like that turbo wing. Good luck on 991.2. You'll have to post pics on the new acquisition. And go Pirates! If you make it to G-Vegas for a football game you have to let me know, I'm at most home games.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:31 PM
marsirover
Advanced

Default happy with the turbo wing

just wonder if the turbo wing is one of the reasons you sell the car.

Quick Reply: Installing a wing from a Turbo on my C2S