Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter particles - How much is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 11:23 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts
Default Oil filter particles - How much is normal?

Having previously seen posts about examining a freshly-removed oil filter for metal I decided to give it a try this time. I've searched the forum and the broader web for photos and discussions on the subject and while I found some discussions, I didn't find anything that helped me clarify what is "normal" debris and no photos of other Porsche owners' filter media.

So, does anyone here have experience with what to expect in an oil filter examination? Please see the attached photo that shows an example of what I see in the filter I just cut open. The number of particles you see is present through most of the filter. There are a few very tiny particles (so small I can barely feel them or see them without my glasses) but I would think that would be expected and the filter is doing its job. The closest posts I found on the web were with respect to airplane engine inspections and this seems to be normal or even better than normal.

I'm not really worried since whatever is there doesn't appear to be a lot of them or anything big... I'm more curious than anything. Overall I thought the filter looks pretty good.

And if you have photos of other filter examinations, good or bad, please show them to me so I'll have some point of reference. Thanks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by StormRune; 09-30-2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:14 AM
SmokinGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 115 Posts

If your car is a 997-1 I would send a sample each oil change to a lab. Look in the oil filter canister and see if you see sparkles. Particles on your filter and abnormal levels of metals in your oil are the first indication of a problem.
The following users liked this post:
tegraphile (02-05-2024)
Old 10-01-2014, 06:16 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

I see you have a 997.2 without an IMS. So, if there was an issue, It would more likely be from some normal wear and tear. I would keep changing the oil regularly and inspect the filter. It is likely nothing but you could send you oil to an analyst such as Blackstone Labs.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 10-01-2014, 09:10 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Yep, 997.2... I should have been explicit. This time around I didn't capture any oil, just the filter. Next time I'll be sure to get a sample and send it to Blackstone just for peace of mind. Thanks for the help!

Anyone else have photos or metrics of what to expect as far as particle counts/sizes? I'm tending to think these are normal.

It also has occurred to me that one a small device it may be hard to see the particles in the photo. The largest particles I saw are just like the one just top right of center in the photo, maybe the size of a flake of fine-ground pepper. There are only about ten of these in the entire filter. The rest are much tinier and are on the verge of not being visible and are present at the rate of about two or three per square inch of filter surface area on average (mostly in the bottom of the pleats where you would expect them). In the photo I can see about eight of these if I look hard.

Of course, I assume there are even tinier ones I don't see, but overall I thought the filter surface looks very clean. I could find no oil gunk, no metallic "paste" like I've seen on a motorcycle having problems, and no traces of visible carbon chunks were present (apparently a sign of ring blow-by and other problems according the the aircraft articles I saw).

Last edited by StormRune; 10-01-2014 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-01-2014, 04:57 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I changed the oil recently on my 997.2 and my filter looked similar. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone and it came back with a great report. I say is normal.
Old 10-01-2014, 05:39 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I changed the oil recently on my 997.2 and my filter looked similar. I sent an oil sample to Blackstone and it came back with a great report. I say is normal.
That was the specific answer I was hoping to see! Thanks Robocop and everyone.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (01-28-2024)
Old 09-08-2023, 03:48 PM
AGV64
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

9 Years later after the last thread was posted…wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this…was unable to find a whole lot of information on this when searching the forums.

The car (2009 997.2 C4S MT) new to me as of April 2023, had 136xxxkm on it…now sitting at 157xxxkm.
Since she has been in my ownership, the oil changes have been every 5000km with a 5W40 oil along with Liqui Moly Ceratec.

I follow the rules of little idling, and avoid RPM above 3000 until I see the oil temp needle move.
For the most part, it is a daily commuter, but I do take her through the RPM range…been to the track once so far.
Just got back from a 5200KM trip with the car…

I had briefly looked at all the other oil filters before; seeing about the same amount of particles in them.
Engine runs normal and does not burn any oil in between the oil changes. Only code is O2 sensor bank 2 warmup once in a while.

Pictures are of the entire oil filter…all of particles are nonferrous

Any thought would greatly be appreciate…

Trending Topics

Old 09-08-2023, 08:38 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 510 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by AGV64
…was unable to find a whole lot of information on this when searching the forums.

The car (2009 997.2 C4S MT) new to me as of April 2023...
Can't comment directly, but here are some similar threads asking for comments on oil-filter inspections on 997.2 models...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...il-filter.html

Karl.
Old 09-08-2023, 10:26 PM
AGV64
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks Karl…
I did see a couple of those threads…
hopefully it is nothing more than just regular wear and tear.

thanks again
Old 09-10-2023, 08:09 AM
da Vinci Dan
Advanced

Received 44 Likes on 29 Posts

I think this is a very pertinent question and am following the post with interest. MAybe someone knows and engineer with specific experience in this area?
Old 09-11-2023, 09:44 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by AGV64
9 Years later after the last thread was posted…wondering what everyone’s thoughts are on this…was unable to find a whole lot of information on this when searching the forums.

The car (2009 997.2 C4S MT) new to me as of April 2023, had 136xxxkm on it…now sitting at 157xxxkm.
Since she has been in my ownership, the oil changes have been every 5000km with a 5W40 oil along with Liqui Moly Ceratec.

I follow the rules of little idling, and avoid RPM above 3000 until I see the oil temp needle move.
For the most part, it is a daily commuter, but I do take her through the RPM range…been to the track once so far.
Just got back from a 5200KM trip with the car…

I had briefly looked at all the other oil filters before; seeing about the same amount of particles in them.
Engine runs normal and does not burn any oil in between the oil changes. Only code is O2 sensor bank 2 warmup once in a while.

Pictures are of the entire oil filter…all of particles are nonferrous

Any thought would greatly be appreciate…

I've never seen that many pieces in one of my filters and not a piece as large as that one on your finger. I would send an oil sample off to Blackstone or Speed Diagnostics to see what the aluminum ppm content is and go from there. Bore scoring on 997.2s is less prevalent but still a possibility.
Old 09-11-2023, 12:30 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

I've been holding off replying with exactly what Petza said. I've changed oil many times in my car as well as several friends' cars and generally see two or three flecks.

But trying to stay positive, metal gets left behind in the galleys during machining. Sometimes, stuff gets shaken loose. So the sky isn't falling.

Still, vigilance is due.

FWIW ... Adding MoS2 to the oil has resulted in near zero (and zero) flecks amongst our group. This is for a fleet of cars with near six figure and six figure miles on them.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:38 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 490 Posts

Looks like some plastic from the photos. Possibly timing chain tensioner rail debris?

Part# 997 105 165 70 (Photo Added)

Last edited by Graufuchs; 09-11-2023 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Photo added for clarity
Old 09-11-2023, 01:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
Looks like plastic from the photos. Possibly timing chain tensioner rail debris?
Timing chain paddle guides are either black or dark brown plastic depending on which one you're talking about. This looks like aluminum pieces.
Old 09-11-2023, 01:52 PM
carguy999
Pro

Received 148 Likes on 79 Posts

FWIW, here are some pics from my most recent oil change. I didn't see any metal, but a couple small black flecks that I didn't think much about.

Quick Reply: Oil filter particles - How much is normal?