Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil filter particles - How much is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2024, 10:50 PM
AGV64
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Do you still have the oil you drained? Pour it into a flat pan and shine a light onto it from different angles or take it outside into bright sunlight. I don't think I like the color of the residual oil that's in the pan as it looks kind of grey instead of brown and also in the upward shot of the engine in all those holes, but could just be the photo or the difference in the oil you're running vs what I'm running or any additive in the oil. But, if it's grey, it might be full of tiny metal particles and will look very shimmery under the light. If it is, the UOA report will have metals off the charts.

Here's a pic of my sump when I dropped it - see the color difference vs yours?

Checked the remaining oil I had leftover…it did not have any metallic shine or reflection to it.
Old 01-30-2024, 11:28 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by AGV64
Checked the remaining oil I had leftover…it did not have any metallic shine or reflection to it.
Great news!
Old 01-31-2024, 11:51 PM
AGV64
Intermediate

My apologies for the quality of the pictures…the new borescope comes with a Mirco SD card.
Ones I get the images properly transferred over…I will post them in the bore score picture thread.

This is what I got to look at tonight …Also way to much carbon build up on the pistons

Old 02-01-2024, 01:07 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Well, that's not good news. If those are different cylinders you have scoring in multiple cylinders. With this being a .2, that's usually caused by cold seizure of the pistons at the bottom of the stroke, which means the rings and sides of the pistons are damaged and it will likely progress quickly from here. What looks like carbon on the piston crowns is partly that but also accumulated oil that migrates up through the score lines onto the tops of the pistons and gets cooked there.

The next UOA report is going to show high aluminum - if I had to guess I'd say close to 30ppm
Old 02-01-2024, 03:19 AM
911Pat
3rd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn that sucks.

And people still say that the 997.2 is “bulletproof”…
Old 02-01-2024, 03:46 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

Posts on the 991 forum refer to this as cylinder streaking and indicate no problems. No oil burning. No ill effects. Even after a long time with this condition. It might be worth taking a sample of the oil in your pan to have it tested to see if there is excessive aluminum or not. I would be very interested in what the results are.

FWIW, I've seen very few .2 borescope pictures. I'll get some shots of my cylinders with 155K miles on them when I do the plugs this Spring. In the meantime, does anyone have any pictures to share?
The following 3 users liked this post by Wayne Smith:
8x57IRS (02-01-2024), carguy999 (02-01-2024), sierra73 (02-04-2024)
Old 02-01-2024, 12:40 PM
AGV64
Intermediate

Lol, my pictures are a little disorganized...I did take a picture of all the cylinder.
Most of them I posted...after seeing the first cylinder, I may have not been too impressed.

I like the sound of "cylinder streaking"...but not getting my hopes up.
I will retake all the pictures again tonight with the correct year on the camera date stamp.

As for oil consumption, I have next to none...5000km on an oil change, may have had to add .5L
At least that's what's it has been for the last 30000Km.

Next step will be to pull the heads off for further inspection and see if the pistons are showing damage and how much.

Old 02-01-2024, 02:43 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Viewing the glass as half full ...

The metal may have been left over from factory manufacturing. Not all metal gets cleaned from the motor, no matter how hard they try. Otherwise, you've got some major chunking that it would seem to me you would hear. And what chunks off in that size and shape?

Your oil consumption is not outrageous, but these 9A1 motors don't tend to burn much oil. That being said, given oil expansion with heat, variable level surfaces to measure on, and the marginal resolution on the gauge, without comparing oil out with last oil in when doing oil changes, determining burn rate is more of a guess. With what you're saying, you may have burned a liter, or you may have burned none. Not meaning any disrespect to your measurements here. It's just the nature of the beast.

Anyway, if those streaks were due to cold seizure, which is a very real possibility with these motors if they are abused, I would expect the bottom of the cylinder to be much worse and the oil burn would be clear.

Good luck as you move forward and keep us updated, please.
Old 02-01-2024, 02:50 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,913 Likes on 2,903 Posts

Originally Posted by AGV64
My apologies for the quality of the pictures…the new borescope comes with a Mirco SD card.
Ones I get the images properly transferred over…I will post them in the bore score picture thread.
This is what I got to look at tonight …Also way to much carbon build up on the pistons
You Bore Scope Inspected through the Spark Plug Holes correct?

Old 02-01-2024, 04:22 PM
AGV64
Intermediate

I agree with you on the oil consumption Wayne, It's just an estimate over the course of an oil change interval.
With all the variables in play when it comes to getting an accurate picture of oil level...nothing beats a simple dipstick.
Having said that, the oil consumption is not anywhere near what some people have...

Groovzilla, yes, the inspection so far has only been from the top...I still have to disassemble the teared oil pans in order to inspect from the bottom to see how things look from there...

Old 02-01-2024, 04:30 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 190 Posts

You can only scope the 9A1 from the spark plug holes.
Old 02-01-2024, 04:58 PM
Graufuchs
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 490 Posts

The two 9A1/MA1 engines I have scoped were worse than that and still happily in service with no excess smoke/ticking or oil usage.

I would do the following:

Fuel injector cleaner to start knocking out those carbon deposits (High PEA IE: Driven)
Good High Moly Oil such as DI40 or Liquimoly with additives
Check Filter/Oil in 3000 miles (send in oil sample)
Re-evaluate after results are in.

My 2 cents.

Last edited by Graufuchs; 02-01-2024 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:35 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by silver_tt
You can only scope the 9A1 from the spark plug holes.
Yep, this ... To see "lower end cold seizure" damage requires major disassembly as far as I know.

I may be missing something, but other than the particles in the oil filter, is there a reason for dropping the motor and pulling it apart?

If I haven't missed anything, perhaps putting the motor back in the car and running a few thousand miles so you can get oil data would make more sense?

Last edited by Wayne Smith; 02-01-2024 at 07:01 PM.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:36 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Graufuchs
The two 9A1/MA1 engines I have scoped were worse than that and still happily in service with no excess smoke/ticking or oil usage.

I would do the following:

Fuel injector cleaner to start knocking out those carbon deposits (High PEA IE: Driven)
Good High Moly Oil such as DI40 or Liquimoly with additives
Check Filter/Oil in 3000 miles (send in oil sample)
Re-evaluate after results are in.

My 2 cents.
This. Exactly this.
Old 02-01-2024, 06:43 PM
silver_tt
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 190 Posts

Agree with the advice stated. No I would not drop the motor and pull it apart. If it's not burning oil that is a very good sign. I would send in an oil analysis to see what the results look like.

Quick Reply: Oil filter particles - How much is normal?