Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 S Project Coming

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2016, 06:30 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

You should test the integrity by drawing a vacuum with an Airlift and see if it holds that vacuum for a reasonable time. To test integrity, no need to add any type of liquid...Just pull the vacuum.
Old 12-31-2016, 06:37 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Thanks. I am going to order that tool. Looks like another week of delay and waiting. Anything else you guys can think of I need to get?
Old 12-31-2016, 09:25 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So I went back to the dealer and advised him that the porsche C2S 2006 takes at least 8.5 gallons of coolant. He said he is just parts and turned me over to a Tech. The tech explained that the coolant is not pre-mixed and I will need to add distilled water which will be a 60/40 mix. I actually bought 5 gallons and 6 gallons of distilled water. I didn't want to run out as these guys did not have a glue. Looks like I will be waiting another week before I can do anything else so Happy New Year all!
Old 12-31-2016, 10:35 PM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Saw your post and thought of this.
Attached Images  
Old 01-01-2017, 03:47 AM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Think the air tightness test is overrated. Just make sure all connections are nice and tight and there should not be an issue. I am maybe old school but don't need any vacuum tool to get coolant inside and have it working without overheating. It is just more comfortable to use a vacuum tool I guess.

The premixed fluid is ready to go, no distilled water needed. Only the concentrate you need to mix 50-50 with distilled water.
Old 01-01-2017, 03:50 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Thanks Rikky001. When I went back to the dealer today, he owned up to the fact that they don't sell pre-mixed coolant, just the concentrate. So I bought a **** load of distilled water and will fill my car up tomorrow.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:19 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

So today I put on the O2 sensors, filled the car up with oil, Power Steering fluid and put distilled water into the car. The water I put in to see if I would get any leaks throughout the system. Looked great but then when I flipped the bleeder water headed for the rads and there was a gusher on the driver side rad hose. It was not all the way on so I pushed/clipped it on and no more gusher. I laid down some clear paper to see if in the morning I have any oil/ PS fluid or water leaks to contend with. Looks good so far.

Well I then decided to try my luck at the new year. I went and got the key off the kitchen shelf and tried to start the car. Here is what happened.

I at first thought uhmm, maybe the battery wasn't strong enough but the battery was one that was recommended by RL members. I then put my trusty battery charger on it and tried again. Well it sounds like it wants to turn over but want. Then I said oh, maybe the starter, but I had that checked earlier and was fine. Then I remembered the alternator cable underneath the car but I had those connected. What do you think? There is a clip that is not connected near the airbox. It is brown in color and I thought it connected to the airbox but I already had a similar clip on the airbox. Well getting dark so I'll have to see what tomorrow morning looks like.

Last edited by ocmacman; 01-02-2017 at 12:20 AM.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:21 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,595 Likes on 4,193 Posts

Video shows as private
Old 01-02-2017, 12:21 AM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Sorry, should show as public now.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:19 AM
Saaboteur
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Doesn't seem to want to turn over. Leave the battery charger on overnight? Double check all ground cables? If it cranks nicely tomorrow with the battery definitely fully charged, and still downer start, then you know there's something else amiss. Good luck!
Old 01-02-2017, 02:07 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!
Thank you RL members and God bless you all. Saaboteur reached out to me in the early morning and voila! He was spot on. I checked the engine grounding strap this morning about 7:45am. I also checked for any coolant leaks and any oil leaks. No leaks. That was a relief.

Now back to the engine strap. It was not tighten all the way. My helper had connected this part and while I was tightening it I remembered we didn't' torque or tighten everything down as we were still working on the install. So I tightened it up a bit and crossed my fingers, said a short prayer, wished for peace in the Middle East and that everyone would get along with our new president and hit the switch. Ok, wait for it.....

I am trying to get the video uploaded..back shortly.

Last edited by ocmacman; 01-02-2017 at 11:03 PM.
Old 01-02-2017, 08:50 PM
Rikky001
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Happy New Year, glad it was only the ground strap!
Old 01-02-2017, 08:53 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Sorry it took a bit. I was attempting to edit the video. Now I am not Stephen Spielberg so it is quite rough. I took this at about 8am this morning pst.

So, after over a year, here we are. I am quite happy about being able to put this thing together. It really was quite easy If I didn't have RL I would not have been able to do it. You guys are great. Even though this was not a take it all a part thread, it was a major deal for me. I thank you all. I hope to see some of you at a major PCA event in the future. I will have the car ready by then. All painted and even more engine modifications as well. I am trying to find out more about the engine. So will be keeping everyone updated.

What do you think the engine sounds like? It has about 70k some miles on it and looks as if it was rebuilt. This is based on my viewing the engine very closely with my unprofessional eyes. Well now I am looking to take the car to one of my local club Indies and have them give it a once over and then get it on a computer. This may take a bit of time as I have to get the care registered. I was putting it off but now I need to get it done.

The knocking sound is familiar (my Cayenne made this sound before I had some work done on it). My BMW makes a similar sound (sometimes). I still have to put the coolant in the car. I just put distilled water in it to check for leaks. No leaks. Now I need to drain it again, pressure test and fill with Porsche coolant. Will do that this week. I am still waiting on some parts. I will begin putting the lights and other ancillaries on the car tonight. I think I have most things torqued down. I will wait on the rear just in case I need to take the engine out again More vids to come. Again thanks all. I will try to add credits to my next video of some of the folks who were extra, extra helpful. Let me know what you think about the First Start!.
Old 01-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 151 Posts

Congratulations! It lives!!
Old 01-02-2017, 09:52 PM
German888
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Way to go!

Quick Reply: 997 S Project Coming