Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the clutch in a 997.1 -- Here's how I did it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016, 10:09 AM
kenza
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Thank you guys for sharing your success stories. I am glad that the write-up I did, was able to help a few folks.

Yes, that clutch (on the picture) is beyond recovery. I have never seen anything like this.

Yves
Well, it seems something went wrong with the clutch itself (or at least I hope it was not only my driving ). I have seen clutches fail and become unusable but this one desintegrated. Anyway, will make a nice clock with the clutch.
Old 12-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. My son and I just finished replacing the clutch, pressure plate, release bearing and flywheel on my 07 4S. Fortunately I have a lift so that helped a lot. We had the same issues as others. I think we re-aligned the clutch disc three times. One tip we learned from a Porsche tech - there are three openings on the side of the pressure plate that allows you to feel with your fingers if the plates are aligned - the plates should fit completely flush with no overlap/underlap. It was better than using the tool.

Once we had the transmission in, we still struggled getting it to go the last 1/2 inch. It took a lot of pushing to get it within 1/4 inch. At that point I knew it was seated, so we used the bellhousing bolts to carefully pull it in the rest of the way.

The clutch had 104K (that includes 20+ track days) on it and I was surprised to see how good it looked. It was actually the release (throwout) bearing that failed.

I don't have too many miles on it yet but the LWFW feels great.

Old 12-30-2017, 11:16 PM
epicCarrera
6th Gear

Just wanted to post a word of thanks for creating this thread. Just finished up my clutch using the excellent directions. Didn't have any issues really, and aside from a really cramped workspace, wasn't particularly hard.

Old 01-06-2018, 07:35 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 463 Likes on 165 Posts

Reviving this thread. Great writeups @yvesvidal and @Rotmilky.

My clutch started acting wonky this week and looks like I may need to replace. I had hoped the clutch would last a few more years (only 52k miles on it) and wanted to replace it myself when the time came. However it looks like I've got to fast forward my plans.

The pedal got a little vibration last week when releasing but wasn't slipping or stiff. I brought it too my indy and they suspected the plastic end cap on the slave cylinder might have broken off. They were right and we replaced it. That removed 80% of the vibration but I could still feel a slight difference in the clutch. I was driving back from a Porsche event today and the clutch started acting wonky again. It got much softer on release (typically snaps back firmly the last 1/3 of the way) and some of the vibration came back. It was harder to find the release spot and I finally felt it slip in 4th gear. Yuck.

I would really like to tackle the project but unsure if trying to do it on jack stands is worth it. Sounds like it doubles the effort.

A couple questions for the guys who have done it before:

1. Would you do it again on jackstands...?
2. How many miles on your clutch? I was originally told they go anywhere from 40-65k miles but seen plenty of guys on RL getting 100k+ miles on theirs.
3. How high did you need to jack the car up to get the transmission out?
4. How claustrophobic is trying to get the transmission out? At 6'3" im worried about my big head getting stuck...

Ps - some initial cost research:

- My local porsche dealer, Sonnen, quoted $6k and 15hrs :-0 The best part was the service manager had to ask a mechanic if they dropped the engine for clutch job. It did not inspire confidence.
- My local indy quoted $1.8-2.0k and 8hrs. These guys are 3x more knowledgable than the dealer.
- Pelican charging $875 for the Sachs clutch kit, which is what my indy quoted for parts.
- Vertex charging $644 for the same Sachs kit, however they are selling it on Amazon for $535. I emailed them to ask the difference. Its the same part number 99711691303.
- www.sonnenporscheoemparts.com no longer offers the clutch kit. Too bad as they are always significantly cheaper than Pelican and Suncoast. It doesn't look like any other the dealer sites run by Revolution Parts are offering the clutch kits anymore. I suspect it was hurting their ability to charge $6k for a clutch job...
- Interestingly the Sachs clutch kit for the Carrera 3.6 is $100 more than the one for the Carrera S/4S 3.8.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:46 PM
epicCarrera
6th Gear

My answers inline:

Originally Posted by TheBruce
A couple questions for the guys who have done it before:

1. Would you do it again on jackstands...? - Eh. It was difficult on jackstands. I'm not a rich man, so I didn't have a choice, but a QuickJack system would have been supremely helpful.
2. How many miles on your clutch? I was originally told they go anywhere from 40-65k miles but seen plenty of guys on RL getting 100k+ miles on theirs. - I had 28k. I bought the car @25k, and don't have any idea how the clutch was treated. Clearly, not well.
3. How high did you need to jack the car up to get the transmission out? - I believe about three feet from ground to bottom of rear bumper. You don't have to actually get the transmission out per se, it slides forward enough to access the clutch. Just easier if it's out of the way, but you have to jack the car way up to get it out.
4. How claustrophobic is trying to get the transmission out? At 6'3" im worried about my big head getting stuck... - I'm 5' 10", and it definitely isn't comfortable if you're claustrophobic. My problem was I have big hands, and the working space is small especially for some of the bolts holding the engine/transmission together.
Added note I went with a SPEC Stg 2 clutch, as I daily it and wanted something that could take the not-so-nice treatment of commuting in heavy traffic (bay area, ca). Wasn't terribly expensive, I paid something like $750 from Amazon, and other than being a tad stiffer in the pedal, it feels OEM.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:51 PM
epicCarrera
6th Gear

Just noticed you're semi-local, I'm in San Jose. I have every single tool you would need to do this, and more. We can talk if you'd like to borrow them if you decide to take it on yourself. I'd be happy to even help/guide if I have some time when you do it.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:09 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by epicCarrera
Just noticed you're semi-local, I'm in San Jose. I have every single tool you would need to do this, and more. We can talk if you'd like to borrow them if you decide to take it on yourself. I'd be happy to even help/guide if I have some time when you do it.
@epicCarrera, you are truly epic!

Yea im up in Marin. A couple other 997s in the area. You should come drive with us when i'm back on the road.

Love to chat about your experience. Did you find any differences replacing the clutch on the 3.6 vs 3.8 instructions? What tools did you need besides transmission jack and guide pin?
Old 01-06-2018, 10:36 PM
epicCarrera
6th Gear

Thumbs up

@epicCarrera, you are truly epic!

Yea im up in Marin. A couple other 997s in the area. You should come drive with us when i'm back on the road.

Love to chat about your experience. Did you find any differences replacing the clutch on the 3.6 vs 3.8 instructions? What tools did you need besides transmission jack and guide pin?
Sounds fun! Love to join some time.

Sure, pm me if you want to chat specifics. Happy to take a call sometime as well if you'd like, and the offer to turn a wrench is there if schedules align.

No differences on the 3.6 vs 3.8. You'll need a few things to "make life easier", which I have all of them, and happy to lend them out if you need them.
- The high-quality metal guide pin from Suncoast makes it MUCH easier than the plastic one, but either works. I used the metal one and it went in first try.
- It's easier, but not necessary, if you have two floor jacks. Mostly I used it to align the motor and transmission with the eight bolt holes, input shaft, and everything else when I was slotting it all back in. Helped as the transmission is pretty unweildy when your on your back trying to get it back in. It's safe, strapped to the tranny jack, but it doesn't provide alot of angular motion..that'll make more sense when you're into it.
- You'll need 24"+ of 1/2" drive extensions to remove the #1 bolt, at the top, which is the biggest pain in the a$$.
- And the other misc. tools mentioned in the guide (tranny jack, triple square bit, allen bits, etc.)
- Power bleeder makes life easier if you end up bleeding the clutch, as I did. I have the adapter for the 997 MC, and a power bleeder that worked great.
- Of course a torque wrench is highly recommended.

Anyhow, being frank, there were a few times when I was on my back..cold..tired..that I really questioned my good judgement in doing it myself..I had to remind myself I was saving a bunch of money on labor, often. But in the end after it's all said and done, it was a couple weekend of work, and I truly fear nothing on this car now. Maybe the engine popping is out of my skill set, but the rest I feel like it's no prob now. Super satisfying as well.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:04 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 762 Posts

I've solo changed more than a few clutches on my back under a car on jackstands (or trucks on the ground), often without a clutch alignment tool and multiple attempts to hand lift the transmission up and hope it slides in.

Alignment tools these days are a required luxury IMHO. Same for a jack and an extra set of hands.

If we're in that deep, the alternator cable should be changed as well. Short shifter kit? I've got no limits on spending your cash!!!

That being said, and knowing your garage is tight, we could do the work at my place. Figuring a couple weekends the debate of how to proceed is in your court.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:10 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Anyhow, being frank, there were a few times when I was on my back..cold..tired..that I really questioned my good judgement in doing it myself.
Thats what one side of me is saying :-(

How many hours did it take you?

But in the end after it's all said and done, it was a couple weekend of work, and I truly fear nothing on this car now. Maybe the engine popping is out of my skill set, but the rest I feel like it's no prob now. Super satisfying as well.
Thats what the other side of me is saying :-)

Had the same experience installing Eibach springs this summer. Couple times I was kicking myself but after 2 days work I had an intimate knowledge of the suspension and brakes. Changing my pads and rotors will be a cake walk.

Will PM you.

Ps - some pics of the other Marin 997s.

Old 01-06-2018, 11:33 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
I've solo changed more than a few clutches on my back under a car on jackstands (or trucks on the ground), often without a clutch alignment tool and multiple attempts to hand lift the transmission up and hope it slides in.

Alignment tools these days are a required luxury IMHO. Same for a jack and an extra set of hands.

If we're in that deep, the alternator cable should be changed as well. Short shifter kit? I've got no limits on spending your cash!!!

That being said, and knowing your garage is tight, we could do the work at my place. Figuring a couple weekends the debate of how to proceed is in your court.
Uh-oh, momentum is building for the DIY track. Im not sure Pam is going to like my transmission all over your garage.

Yea, I was thinking the same re the alternator cable. Wells at Scargo walked me through the steps on both the cable and clutch last Friday. His quote: "its just bolts man...". They had a 996 engine laying in the back so was able to get a better perspective on where all the bolts are located.

Let me sleep on it and talk to the guys at Scargo on Monday.

Thx for the offers Wayne and Epic.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:35 PM
epicCarrera
6th Gear

How many hours did it take you?
Probably a solid 15. It was a good two days, one each weekend. I purposely took extreme time to do it, as I have another car and was in no rush. I realized that mistakes would be expensive, and I didn't have it in me to pull it all apart again if I screwed up. It had to be right, the first time.

Knowing what I know now, the amazing guid here, and with another set of mechanically inclined hands, it could get done sub-10 easy. It's cramped as hell, but it's like a big puzzle, and you just have to remove/insert in a certain order to make it easy. It all is pretty logical when you're in there. Can't say enough about the guide either. There was never a point that I had a question that wasn't answered by it.

Ps - some pics of the other Marin 997s.
*lots of pretty 997's*

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

Hah, totally. In my aircooled VW days, that's exactly how we did it. But yea, a couple weekends should be more than enough.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:01 AM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Great video on 997 clutch replacement. Starts a 6:15:
Old 01-07-2018, 01:31 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

Great write up, great video find! Subscribed. I'm at 78k on the original clutch. No issues despite mileage and a good amount of track/autox the last year of its life. Fingers crossed, but this thread's giving me confidence (and an excuse to buy a lift).
Old 01-07-2018, 01:46 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Cool video

Quick Reply: Replacing the clutch in a 997.1 -- Here's how I did it.