Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the clutch in a 997.1 -- Here's how I did it.

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 02:10 AM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

That was easy....I think I'll do mine tomorrow....NOT.... nice work and impressive
Old 08-17-2015, 12:37 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

Received 121 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by naru177
I am surprised the pressure plate would end up like this after 36k. I wonder if it was a bad lot of clutch kits. Now I have a stock replacement Sachs kit installed that I purchased for under $500 We shall see how it holds up.
What a Bummer: my pressure plate went wrong at 67K miles, despite my gentle driving. First the pedal became very smooth and easy to press, which was nice in itself. Then, while trying to pass a car, I downshifted, released the clutch and pushed the throttle: the engine went all the way to the top and the car barely moved. I could smell the acrid stench of the clutch plate burning. I managed to finally pass that other car, and kept my actions very smooth until I got home.

The pedal is slow to come back, clearly indicating that there is no more pressure from the clutch being sent back to the hydraulic system.

My Indie is now suggesting I replace the flywheel ($1000) without having seen the car..... I think I am going to run multiple estimations or even try to do the thing myself.

Yves
Old 08-18-2015, 07:37 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

Great job!

For the ones who've done their clutch, what mileage were you hitting before the clutch let go?
Old 10-30-2015, 01:57 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

I just completed the awful job of replacing the Clutch myself with help from a friend mechanic with access to his garage. I will try to post a tutorial with pictures and drawings.

It is definitely not an easy job and having one and at times two, persons to help you is paramount.

Yves
Old 11-02-2015, 08:44 AM
cam2008
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
I just completed the awful job of replacing the Clutch myself with help from a friend mechanic with access to his garage. I will try to post a tutorial with pictures and drawings.

It is definitely not an easy job and having one and at times two, persons to help you is paramount.

Yves
Looking forward since I'm contemplating doing the clutch too.
What Clutch and pressure plate did you put in? Flywheel?
Old 11-02-2015, 07:03 PM
140.6er
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Cam, I'm on LI too. If you undertake this job let me know, I'd be willing to lend a hand and learn. Never did a clutch but am very interested.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:20 AM
cam2008
Racer

Originally Posted by E36E46M
Cam, I'm on LI too. If you undertake this job let me know, I'd be willing to lend a hand and learn. Never did a clutch but am very interested.
Probably do it next spring now.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:46 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Originally Posted by cam2008
Looking forward since I'm contemplating doing the clutch too.
What Clutch and pressure plate did you put in? Flywheel?
Cam,

Yes I did replace the flywheel. I wrote a tutorial to help other forum members:

http://murenae.com/FTP_Files/997_Clutch_Work.pdf

Good luck.
Yves
Old 04-12-2016, 01:57 PM
Schnell5
Rennlist Member

Rotmilky, thank you for this thread. The information has been excellent. I am in the middle of the blasphemous portion of trying to mate that darn transmission back up to the engine. This part is indeed a PITA, everything else has been pretty straight forward. Yes, I'm one of those poor soles with no auto lift so I am working on the floor (guess what I'm buying soon?). My freakin neck hasn't seen a workout like this in sometime.

Spent 5 hours last night trying to wiggle, jiggle, bump, raise, lower, push, finagle the sucker with no luck. I've aligned and realigned the friction disk (with tool and eye), a few times now. Does anyone have any other ideas to get this sucker in or is this just a matter of continuing the above? It makes one want to take up drinking again.

Thanks in advance.
Johnny
Old 04-12-2016, 02:27 PM
yvesvidal
Pro

I would recommend the metal tool (small one) for aligning the clutch, before torqueing the pressure plate. The tool must slide in and out with absolutely no resistance. The plastic tool will not give you the precision you need.

Also, doing this job alone is not going to be easy. See if you can find a good soul willing to help you under the car to hold and align from the other end the gearbox. Once you are aligned, you need someone to push on the gearbox to make it click in place.

Good luck.
Yves
Old 04-12-2016, 02:32 PM
Schnell5
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yvesvidal
I would recommend the metal tool (small one) for aligning the clutch, before torqueing the pressure plate. The tool must slide in and out with absolutely no resistance. The plastic tool will not give you the precision you need.

Also, doing this job alone is not going to be easy. See if you can find a good soul willing to help you under the car to hold and align from the other end the gearbox. Once you are aligned, you need someone to push on the gearbox to make it click in place.

Good luck.
Yves
Thank you, Yves. I did neglect to mention that I did have help under the car. Maybe I will call on a couple more buddies as well.

I did take note of Rotmilky's drama with the plastic tool. Mine also has a bit of resistance pushing in, hence me eyeing as well. Maybe a third time is in order with another tool as you mentioned. Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2016, 05:13 PM
Schnell5
Rennlist Member

Thanks again Rotmilky and Yves, the Targa is up and running and clutch silky smooth.

This was another case of the crappy plastic alignment tool. Those are definitely for the birds.

I ended up buying the
LISLE Metric Clutch Alignment tool (part number 61750) LISLE Metric Clutch Alignment tool (part number 61750)
and it aligned everything perfectly.

One other little tidbit for the slave cylinder; I actually installed this on the trans on the way up (before mating). It was much easier to install this way.

All in all, I am happy I found this thread and decided on doing this myself. My only heartaches were super slow shipping from ECS (although the lowest prices I could find), a broken tab on the new throwout bearing (and again waiting for the replacement) and lastly, the plastic MISalignement tool from Pelican, stay away from that one. Cheers.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:41 PM
kenza
Advanced

Hi everyone!

I just replaced my clutch and want to say thank you for this great write-up. It took me (and a friend who was helping) around 6 hours. The most complicated part was putting the clutch slave cylinder back in place - it took us 45 minutes.

Anyway, here is a picture of my old clutch disc - it is clear why the car was not moving at all:

Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

This great write up is the reason I took my car in this past weekend (there all week) for a new clutch,. PP, and IMS permanent solution. Great work
Old 07-13-2016, 09:50 AM
yvesvidal
Pro

Thank you guys for sharing your success stories. I am glad that the write-up I did, was able to help a few folks.

Yes, that clutch (on the picture) is beyond recovery. I have never seen anything like this.

Yves

Quick Reply: Replacing the clutch in a 997.1 -- Here's how I did it.