Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing the clutch in a 997.1 -- Here's how I did it.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:22 AM
rc 82nd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by porterror
How much is a job like this? Parts & labor? Thought Indy told me around $1500
Mine was done for$2200.
$650.for the bearing kit.(KN).
$160.Cam plugs ,oil and filter,ps fluid.
The clutch,P.P. F.W. release and pilot bearings all execellent and not replaced.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:20 PM
Captsteve123
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you had the bearing out, you can tell if it was bad just feeling for play in the old IMS bearing.

I truly believe the whole IMS bearing was something that happened on a few models, and became overrated.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:12 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by porterror
How much is a job like this? Parts & labor? Thought Indy told me around $1500
Clutch -- $650. That's the cost of the Porsche kit (clutch/throwout bearing/pressure plate). Could be a bit cheaper if you went non OEM parts.

IMS bearing -- $600 give or take. If you can't find or borrow the LN tools necessary to replace the bearing, then add $200.

That's probably a minimum cost if you could do it yourself. That assumes that you have all the tools you need and don't do things like replace the transmission oil or need to bleed the brakes. Given that the dealership wouldn't be paying full markup on the parts...at least for the clutch parts and they have all the tooling necessary the remainder represents the labor cost.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:21 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Originally Posted by Captsteve123
If you had the bearing out, you can tell if it was bad just feeling for play in the old IMS bearing.

I truly believe the whole IMS bearing was something that happened on a few models, and became overrated.
I couldn't feel a difference in play between the new LN bearing and the old bearing I removed--and that one had 75K miles on it.

Yea, I largely agree that the IMS issue seems to be overrated. I probably wouldn't have bothered if I didn't need to do the clutch. That said, there is almost always at least a couple posts a year where the IMS failed. So, I figure I'll just keep replacing the bearing every time I need to replace the clutch--yea, I be replacing the LN bearing on the next clutch job (hopefully this clutch will last 100K more miles). It's $500 for a new bearing and $25K for a new motor.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:06 AM
niner niner seven
Racer

Excellent write-up. Thanks a ton.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:49 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Rotmilky, you have inspired me to attempt this IMS/Clutch on my own. Did you lock the cams? Did you use a locking tool? If so, can I rent it from you? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:48 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Originally Posted by ChicagoSpeed996
Rotmilky, you have inspired me to attempt this IMS/Clutch on my own. Did you lock the cams? Did you use a locking tool? If so, can I rent it from you? Thanks!
Best of luck on your work. If I had any suggestions, it would be to make sure you have plenty of time to do it and don't rush. When I did mine, I didn't need to do anything with the car for quite awhile. That way I could spread the work over weekends and evening when I had time and desire.

Yes, I did lock the cams. Well, I actually only locked the two driver's side cams. The LN tool kit only came with one cam lock. I've got more info and photos on the IMS replacement that I didn't post since my writeup was more about the clutch. I'll send you a PM with some info on the bearing replacement and the tools.

--Von
Old 07-31-2014, 10:02 PM
aaks38
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks a bunch for posting this. Curious if you resurfaced the flywheel or just left it alone?
Old 07-31-2014, 10:26 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Originally Posted by aaks38
Thanks a bunch for posting this. Curious if you resurfaced the flywheel or just left it alone?
I did quite bit of research online about the need to resurface the flywheel. It seemed to me that if the flywheel didn't have any work hardening of the surface from clutch slippage, then resurfacing wasn't all that important. I didn't have any scorch marks or thermal discoloration on the flywheel. So, I did some scuff sanding with emory cloth and left it as is. If I end up being wrong, the clutch life won't be as long and I'll replace the fly wheel next time the clutch needs replacing.
Old 08-19-2014, 01:55 AM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Nice write-up rotmilky! Thanks for sharing!
Old 08-27-2014, 09:27 AM
ldrhoades
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the great write up. I wish I would have found it about 4 weeks ago! I pulled engine and transmission out of my 996 to address a bad misfire issue (cam timing) and to do the RMS and IMS. When I separated the engine and transmission, the throwout bearing was free on the shaft, and NOT snapped into the release arm. As I've never done a clutch before, I didn't think too much of this and I put it back together that way.

To make a long story short, the car ran great when I put it back together, but I could not get it into first gear or reverse. Plus, there was some funny clutch actuation (strange feel and sound when pedal fully depressed). I've properly installed the throw out bearing now, and plan to put the transmission back in this weekend. Hopefully that will address the issue.
Thanks again for the post.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Rotmilky
Instructor

Wow. You have my sympathies on having to pull the transmission again. I was pretty torqued when I had to just realign the clutch which only required me to lower the transmission. I think it should go much faster the 2nd time since you know where all the bolts are and how to get to them. Good luck with the throwout bearing.

--Von
Old 03-29-2015, 04:48 AM
Khaim3
Intermediate

Thank you Rotmilky so much for taking the time to write up this DYI. My pressure plate went bad and I found this post. I followed your instructions and worked my way to the end. This is the best DYI EVER.

I end up replacing pressure plate, clutch dish and the slave cylinder. Bleed brake and cutch using the Motive pressure.
I couldn't find the clutch alignment tool so here is how I did it. I found a wire at home and cut 3 pieces. Placed them between clutch disk and flywheel. It fit snugly in placed so I can put the pressure plate over and tightened it. Then remove the 3 wire. I hope it will help other in the future.
I am in the San Jose Area and if anyone need help with the DYI, please pm me and I can help plus you can borrow the transmission jack.
Attached Images  
Old 08-10-2015, 10:18 PM
naru177
7th Gear

I can't Thank you enough for this DIY! I was able to successfully replace my clutch on my 997.1 C2S with 36K miles. Turns out I had a bad pressure plate. In retrospect, I am glad I challenged myself to take on this ordeal all by myself. It helped ease the frustration and knuckle busting situations that I accrued some new tools in the process but it was by no means easy. If you don't have time nor the patience, just pay someone to do it-Bob (nickname for the beloved C2S-previous owner was named Bob lol) hogged the garage for a solid 2 months! If it was not for this thread though I think Bob would've continued his selfish tendencies for quite sometime longer. Thanks again!

I am surprised the pressure plate would end up like this after 36k. I wonder if it was a bad lot of clutch kits. Now I have a stock replacement Sachs kit installed that I purchased for under $500 We shall see how it holds up.
Old 08-11-2015, 01:07 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great write up!!!! I remember trying to get the trans back together at the end. That thing would not go that last 1/2inch! Took me hours. At that point I said I will never do this again without paying. Then I tried the dowel trick also and about 45 minutes later it was in. It took me two weeks also on my back.

Quick Reply: Replacing the clutch in a 997.1 -- Here's how I did it.