Sponsored by:

TranzIt BLU HF Install in a 997.1TT - PCM 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 03:33 PM
chrisgo
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mic on instrument cluster

Hi ilko, great job on hiding the mic under the shadow of the instrument cluster ... it is so good that I am not sure how you got it there from the top of the steering wheel where it comes up?

Did you route the mic wire under the MPH gauge, then under the temp gauge, then left of the temp gauge, then up over the top of temp gauge, then top of MPH gauge and then into the final position (per the picture)? Did you use a tool to squeeze the wire into the gap?

It is really a good install .. it almost looks like it went behind the instrument cluster!
Old 07-11-2016, 10:24 AM
quietcoolone
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey

I set the unit to be always on as I have no interest in listening to terrestrial broadcast radio and did not want to deal with the weird pops and cutouts from those that have left the unit on auto. I left the optional power switch in an easily accessible location under the dash should I ever truly want to listen to the radio. .
In my experience having the device powered at all times is against the recommendation of the manufacturer and will likely shorten the life of your device. It is best to connect bluetooth devices to a switched power source.
Old 07-11-2016, 11:26 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by quietcoolone
In my experience having the device powered at all times is against the recommendation of the manufacturer and will likely shorten the life of your device. It is best to connect bluetooth devices to a switched power source.
I think you misunderstood. The unit is connected to a switched power source and goes on and off with the ignition. If I wired it to an unswitched source I would be less worried about my $20 Ebay bluetooth unit and more about battery drain on the car battery and the host of problems that can create. The unit also has a switch on it that allows it to either override the specified FM station continually or only when it detects incoming audio. My comment referred to the latter.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:51 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I have the same. Its wired to the the cable behind the PCM that goes on and off with ignition. Works like a charm and I never have to do anything with the phone or pcm etc. I just walk into the car, start up, drive away with music on.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:11 PM
bw1999
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help with final step

thanKs so much for this awesome post. Was able to remove the radio on my 996TT, wore as shown, run the mic, etc but for the life of me, I cannot get this radio back in and I can't figure out why. Any ideas?
Old 09-05-2016, 09:37 PM
jfort
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by bw1999
thanKs so much for this awesome post. Was able to remove the radio on my 996TT, wore as shown, run the mic, etc but for the life of me, I cannot get this radio back in and I can't figure out why. Any ideas?
i did it. Tight fight. You can stuff the excess to the left and slide it in
Old 09-06-2016, 12:41 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

best value mod; installed them trazit also in both my archaic lexus' and couldn't be happier.

now if i could only mcgyver a clean/hidden switched 12v supply to charge my phone....
Old 09-06-2016, 01:23 PM
too tall
Instructor

2007 997.1
If I already have NAV-TV IPOD installed (original from 2007 install) can I add TranzIT BLU HF without a problem?

Quite honestly, I'm finding fewer days I want to queue up the IPOD and could with no regret remove that system
Old 09-06-2016, 01:42 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
now if i could only mcgyver a clean/hidden switched 12v supply to charge my phone....
I got a cig lighter USB adapter for $5 at CVS, keep it in the socket inside the center console cubby. The adapter is very short and only protrudes about 1/8" beyond the lighter socket, plenty of room in the cubby for my phone and the coiled-up lightning cable. If I want the phone out, there's enough clearance around the console lid so it closes without pinching the cord.
Old 09-06-2016, 01:46 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by too tall
2007 997.1
If I already have NAV-TV IPOD installed (original from 2007 install) can I add TranzIT BLU HF without a problem?

Quite honestly, I'm finding fewer days I want to queue up the IPOD and could with no regret remove that system
Not sure how the NTV unit is installed but if it doesn't plug in series with the antenna I wouldn't think there would be any conflict in having both. However with the memory capacity of the newer phones, why not just load your IPOD contents into your phone and BT it? The only unfortunate downside to the Tranzit is you can only pair one device at at time with it, in fact you can't even have a second device stored in memory and toggle between, you have to unpair one device and then pair another.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 PM
too tall
Instructor

Ben, agreed. The NAV-TV is more trouble to de-install than just leave that in place and add bluetooth.
Old 09-06-2016, 10:14 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 575 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I got a cig lighter USB adapter for $5 at CVS, keep it in the socket inside the center console cubby. The adapter is very short and only protrudes about 1/8" beyond the lighter socket, plenty of room in the cubby for my phone and the coiled-up lightning cable. If I want the phone out, there's enough clearance around the console lid so it closes without pinching the cord.
Thanks Ben, but is the USB adapter a constant draw on the battery ?
Old 09-09-2016, 06:52 PM
territory145
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Just had the Transit Blu HD installed in my 997. The best thing I've done so far. No more tickets for talking on my cell and the sound quality is great. I'm able to listen to my music from Pandora and it automatically goes to my phone when someone calls. The tech at Parkway Stereo did a great job on the install, very clean and neat. I recommend this unit to all.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:58 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by myw
Thanks Ben, but is the USB adapter a constant draw on the battery ?
There's a tiny LED on the adapter so yes technically. I originally planned to rewire the cubby socket so it's only hot with the ignition on, but never got around to it and it's been a couple years now.
Old 09-11-2016, 01:54 PM
bw1999
Instructor

An update on my post about replacing the radio. I tried installing the TRANSIT BLUl to the left of the radio but it kept hanging up. I finally stuff everything behind the radio, and unplugged the bottom plug on the buttons to the left of the radio so I could peek in and shove the wires back with a long screwdriver while I pushed the radio in. Worked perfectly! Thanks for everyones advice

Quick Reply: TranzIt BLU HF Install in a 997.1TT - PCM 2.1