Sponsored by:

TranzIt BLU HF Install in a 997.1TT - PCM 2.1

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 12:30 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BrockPorsche
Can anyone verify doing an install like this, where the mic is left out and the car system is used for phone and the tranzit purely for a2dp music?
You don't have to use the mic. There's a button you install on your dash and a single press skips to the next song. Or you can always just pick up your phone and control the music.

My Transit BLU has stopped sending the correct text for the current song to the Porsche displays. It's stuck on half the text of the last song it played when it last worked. Anyone else have this issue? I've had it for 1.5 years so I assume the warranty expired.
Old 01-30-2016, 12:35 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had your issue. Not once but twice. It's happened right after an IOS update. I reset my Tranzit and its back to normal.

Last edited by RaidersR1; 02-06-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 02-06-2016, 03:43 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I put mine behind the PCM so I can access it without pulling the PCM out. It is easy to pull the wires behind the "PCM-casing"
When you say "behind the PCM", doesn't that mean you have to pull the PCM out to get to it? Not quite sure what you mean by bhind.

I'm going to install mine soon and would really like to make accessing it as easy as possible if it has issues.

Thanks!
Old 02-07-2016, 01:01 AM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

No, I have routed the cables through the holes in at the back of the metal casing you put the PCM in.

The Tranzit Blu unit is in my case placed in the space under the console, directly to the right of the gas pedal. There is enough space there to place it. Also good if you want to re-route the microphone etc.
Old 02-10-2016, 04:22 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Perfect, thanks.

OK, all installed. Sounds fine...although when the power is on but car isn't started I get an irregular timed 'tick/pop' (every 3-10 seconds)...it's a bit annoying but doesn't seem to be there once the car is started.

I only have two known issues

1) RDS doesn't display anything, just shows KSLB. RDS for the radio works (although I will double check that)

2) The app won't recognize that it is connected. I fire it up, go to add device, connect via bluetooth...but app still says no device attached. I'd like to try changing radio station to see if it helps the static 'tick' sound and the RDS issue...but can't.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:38 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I installed the app and it never worked right either so I ditched it. I was able to change the frequency but I changed it back. The way the unit is wired into the antenna line, you could be parked under a 100,000-watt station's broadcast tower and it wouldn't step on the Tranzit. There are literally no clear frequencies around here and I have no interference issues.

The cyclical pop happens regardless of the frequency, but only when it's silent, i.e. when you're in streaming mode but not streaming anything. When you're streaming or on the phone it doesn't happen. If it annoys you, just turn down the volume just so you'll hear a call come in (plus it will show in the PCM screen anyway), then turn it up when you answer. The cabin noise drowns the pop out for me, to the point I don't even notice it with the volume set a a normal level.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:35 AM
RaidersR1
Racer

Lately for me I've been having issues with the volume of the unit sustaining. During playback the unit sometimes disconnects and the phone plays the music and not through the car. Other times it seems the unit drops in volume and is very very low and I cannot even hear the music through the PCM. I was happy with this unit at first but lately it has turned into a POS.

I hope to get my aftermarket APP radio installed soon.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:02 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I installed the app and it never worked right either so I ditched it. I was able to change the frequency but I changed it back. The way the unit is wired into the antenna line, you could be parked under a 100,000-watt station's broadcast tower and it wouldn't step on the Tranzit. There are literally no clear frequencies around here and I have no interference issues.

The cyclical pop happens regardless of the frequency, but only when it's silent, i.e. when you're in streaming mode but not streaming anything. When you're streaming or on the phone it doesn't happen. If it annoys you, just turn down the volume just so you'll hear a call come in (plus it will show in the PCM screen anyway), then turn it up when you answer. The cabin noise drowns the pop out for me, to the point I don't even notice it with the volume set a a normal level.
Hm, that interesting. For me it happens even when the unit is streaming...ie. I put on a podcast, so just verbal and fairly quiet...popping happens consistently. Stops once the engine has started.

RDS still doesn't do a thing other than show KSLB
Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM
BrockPorsche
Instructor

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Lately for me I've been having issues with the volume of the unit sustaining. During playback the unit sometimes disconnects and the phone plays the music and not through the car. Other times it seems the unit drops in volume and is very very low and I cannot even hear the music through the PCM. I was happy with this unit at first but lately it has turned into a POS.

I hope to get my aftermarket APP radio installed soon.
Honestly that sounds like a physical connection issue. Bluetooth itself wouldn't really have issues like that. I'm speaking from having a whole house bluetooth streaming system install for quite a while now.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:00 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Whatever it is, it sucks to have it just cut off mid play of songs or Satellite radio.
Old 02-13-2016, 11:54 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally got around to installing mine. I got the non HF version as I only wanted A2DP since I have a 997.2 with built in bluetooth. I have been perfectly happy with the built in for phone calls, I just wanted a solution to stream A2DP music to the head unit. Enter the Tranzit.

Install was straight forward but, like everything I do, it took forever. Props to the posted on page 4 that made a DIY for the 997.2. The only thing I would add is that the removal of the PCM is different from the video posted on page 1 of this thread in that there is no bolt on the right side of the PCM to loosen prior to sliding the PCM out. I also broke the top tabs on both of the side leather trim pieces that flank the PCM and that must be removed to remove the PCM. I have full leather interior and have read that the pieces can fit tighter. Whatever the case, I did the best I could wiggling around but they broke anyway. Other tabs are in tact and after a reinstall it seems sturdy.

I ended up using a fuse tap and using fuse C1 as I had trouble getting the fuse tap to stay in the B8 (or was it 6) spot recommended elsewhere in the thread. C1 has the unit coming on not when the key it put in the ignition but when the ignition is switched to the accessory position. This is fine by me, so long as it is a switched power supply.

I set the unit to be always on as I have no interest in listening to terrestrial broadcast radio and did not want to deal with the weird pops and cutouts from those that have left the unit on auto. I left the optional power switch in an easily accessible location under the dash should I ever truly want to listen to the radio.

I insulted the antenna connections with electrical tape as recommended earlier. Sound quality is good but not great. For the price I paid for everything (less than $40) it is quite good. Lows are good but highs are a little bit muffled. However, if you are an audiophile you likely picked the wrong car anyway.

I will report that thus far I am quite pleased with the handoff between it and the PCM 3.0 in my car. I have an LG G3 running the latest Cyanogenmod build and my wife has a Samsung Galaxy S6 running the stock touchwiz firmware. I first paired my phone to the Tranzit. It had previously been paired to the car. It has no problem being paired to both at the same time (PCM for hands free and Tranzit for A2DP). I tried calling it from my wife's phone while streaming music from my phone and it works just as I had hoped: mutes the music, allows me to answer the phone call via the PCM and talk, then upon hanging up that call it resumes A2DP streaming through the Tranzit. I next tried my wife's phone and although I had a little bit of trouble getting it paired it worked the same way once I paired the phone. I then turned off the Samsung's bluetooth and turned my LG's back on and then power cycled the unit. As I had hoped it immediately reconnected to my LG and starting playing the album I was streaming from my Google Music account. As long as it continues to work this way I will be very impressed. Again, sound quality isn't excellent but for those without the universal audio interface on a 997.2 I would highly recommend this as a viable alternative.
Old 04-15-2016, 02:38 PM
worldisyourz
8th Gear

Has anyone else had Radio reception issues after installing the Tranzit system? I finished my up last night and just notice this morning that I have horrible radio reception on my FM and Am stations. NEED HELP!
Old 04-15-2016, 04:38 PM
TypeRx
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull the headunit out again and ensure the antenna adapters are firmly seated in place. I would unplug and then re-plug firmly. Test the reception before reinstalling the PCM unit. Consider taping the antenna adapters together (electrical tape works fine) to ensure they don't pull apart in the future.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:31 AM
Jeller
Intermediate

Originally Posted by worldisyourz
Has anyone else had Radio reception issues after installing the Tranzit system? I finished my up last night and just notice this morning that I have horrible radio reception on my FM and Am stations. NEED HELP!
I was coming here to post a similar issue. I noticed that when the phone is not synced to the Tranzit system it's interfering with the radio reception. I turned off the bluetooth on my phone and it went away to confirm this. I will have to try syncing it first when getting in the car and then going back to an FM station to see if the reception still gets interference....
Old 04-26-2016, 11:48 AM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

The unit has 2 paired modes. One is A2DP for streaming (music, gps etc), the other for listening to radio. If you are in A2DP mode and switch to a different frequency than the Tranzit's input frequency you'l get garbage noise. To listen to radio you need to do a long press of the control button until you hear the tone. Then you can listen to any radio station you want. If a call comes in, it will mute the radio and show caller ID on screen, but before you can answer the call you will need to switch the PCM to the Tranzit's input frequency. I suggest programming it into button #5, which has a recessed center and is easly found by feel without taking your eyes off the road.

Personally I don't ever listen to commercial radio, so I keep mine set in A2DP mode always. A fortuitous bonus is if I happen to have left my phone in the house, the second I start the car I am rewarded by a blast of noise from the radio (whatever static/noise is on the Tranzit's frequency when the phone isn't paired) which reminds me I forgot my phone

Quick Reply: TranzIt BLU HF Install in a 997.1TT - PCM 2.1