Sponsored by:

An introduction to Beverly Hills Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 PM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Knock the guy-

My best customers were full list sticker buyers. My worst customers were those that got the best deals and the ones I worked hardest to earn. Go figure-

Let's take a step back and think every deal is a good deal. It isn't period.

I was in a small store/ small market- I had more than ample time to walk to my service dept. and run a dme inspection. This guy store- not his fault - is in highest $ retail in USA period with service off site. We sold near 85-90 cars a year- up to 110. These guys do 100 cars a month before count other brands they may get on trade etc. You become a check out clerk as lots of times it isn't sales- its leasing paperwork on "that" car etc. / The volume of inventory is going to bring in lots of customers- carry higher level of services and really I don't think this store is setup to handle the volume, but location works etc/dealer made it happen despite challenges. Probably due to Rodeo drive russian, middle east, etc $$$ /industry leasing pdon't matter buy it demographics this store represents. I digress with missing points and holes/ maybe not/ sorry.

Give this cat a break. Honestly, by the time I was #1 at my dealership/after awhile I had to reevaluate my priority list as my income and sales were declining- helping service mgr pass test, teaching others, front line ready the used trade in's, buy cars from auction for inventory so we had a nice CPO selection, picking up customer cars, learning about Porsche mechanics w/ techs. Chit chatting with customers in service dept, showing bmw/mini/audi customers with coffee in their hands the "show"- on the forums (1 first sponsors for caymanforum), maintain the CGT . drink coffee, take p-test, chase down leads. All while giving the Porsche experience to everyone and I hadn't sold 1 car. Unfortunately, he only gets paid to sell and you got to make a call on what I can do. I'm sure he could spend half his time chasing down other coworkers screw ups.

It is so hard to be awesome all the time- I really like how he has his own website, on this forum. Sometimes you make a mistake/ it doesn't lineup/ doesn't seem like it'll happen- so many hrs in a day and no one is on your side when your the salesman- people don't jump to help etc.

I'm now running my own companies, but love Porsche cars. Getting close now in Houston to opening my own store. I'd be happy to give this guy a shot. I thought his reply msg was very good. I love sales/ Porsche/ people- this is the bs that no one likes that loves their jobs- dissatisfied customers.

Personally, this is the farthest thing from Beverly Hills- a forum. Hope you go sell a plastic surgeon a full pop 991S for all this fire you've gotten mate.
TO ALL THAT READ THIS - Cheers-

Last edited by German_Saint; 08-12-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:34 PM
hakaida702
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In sales for big ticket items like expensive cars and homes I feel that you have to treat everyone equally. The guy who you just sold the cheaper car and treated him like a guy that spent double or triple that will tell friends and family and in the end you will have more business.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:58 PM
daddyscar
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 63 Posts

Ryan, I also think you handled all this well. You are selling cars where you get leads via phone, email, fax, text and walk-ins at the #1 in Porsche sales in the USA. As I try to comment on how you handle customers it's difficult to not make it sound like you're just trying to turn cars. Reading the comments especially from small business owners like myself also highlight the other end of the customers service spectrum.

When I started my business customer service was the one and only priority. There were many scenarios where I knew I was spending a lot of time for almost nothing. But ten years, three additional locations (and kids) later you have to make some tougher decisions because you have limited time. I'm sure there are many small business owners that are proud of how they don't have a single unhappy customer. That's the beauty of small business ownership. It's your baby and you can do what you want. But growing your business and maintaining your level of customer service is always a delicate balancing act.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:32 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
credit and respect to Ryan for his comprehensive and forthright answer.
+1
Old 08-13-2012, 03:30 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts
Default My experience with Beverly Hills Porsche

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Fairly typical. These type of people plague the industry. Hopefully Ryan isn't in charge of INTERNET sales.
Oh, the INTERNET sales at Beverly Hills Porsche is a whole different story. In June of last year, I was shopping for a 2012 997, and their Internet Sales Manager sent me a nice email response stating: "we are happy to offer you any of our in stock 911's at the guaranteed low price of $3k over dealer cost." HA! Except the in-stock 911 that I asked for - well, no, that one was $5k over invoice, sorry. And when I politely pointed out that his email plainly stated 1) "any of our in stock 911's" and 2) "guaranteed low price of $3k dealer cost," he refused to budge. And this is all trackable word-for-word by email, mind you. Classic bait and switch.

So, I said forget it, and I went to another Porsche dealer located ~60 miles away. They were more than happy sell me a 911 for Invoice + $3k - in fact, they transferred the exact car I had wanted over from Beverly Hills Porsche! And let's be honest here. Invoice + $3k for a 997 was more than reasonable with the 991's arriving a few months later.

So, as somebody else wrote, caveat emptor. There are 10 Porsche dealerships in the LA area:

Long Beach (Circle)
Norwalk (McKenna)
Torrance (Pacific)
Downtown LA
Newport Beach (Power)
Pasadena (Rusnak)
Thousand Oaks (Rusnak)
Woodland Hills (Auto Gallery)
Riverside (Walter's)

If you're not happy with one of them, there are 9 others nearby who would be happy to sell you a car. Some of them might not even pull the ol' bait-and-switch on you.

Last edited by gasongasoff; 08-13-2012 at 03:51 AM.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Pictures didn't load..
Old 08-13-2012, 10:09 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
A good salesman knows how to separate a prospect from a suspect.
Suspects drain your energy, and prevent you from devoting time to a real potential customer.
Suspects are never quite satisfied, and are the first to complain ....loudly.
A price conscious, demanding and suspicious customer, sending an e mail, from across the country , is a suspect.
Did you indicate that you were a ready buyer, and all that remained was a positive DME to seal the deal..or was the DME what you needed to start the process of negotiation, and nit picking?
E mail is easy and free, as is slamming this guy in a public forum for doing nothing but showing common sense.

No one wants to turn away business, but after a while you learn when to walk away, and refer "customers" to your worst competitor, and let him play the losing game.

I'd say he did the right thing.

Plus One
Ryan asked a fair question and i think separated the wheat from the chaff, no offense to anyone, but if you arent willing to say 'if everything checks out i think the car is worth X" are you really serious?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 AM
eflight
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 80 Posts

Yep, I was really serious, had the cash in hand, so if the process was to "seperate the wheat from the chaff", then it was not a very good one.

I made a very simple request for better pictures of wear on the seat bolsters on my very first e-mail.
The pictures that were posted on the web made it look like the wear was very heavy, but I wanted to double check. Just like the pictures showed a manual transmission and the write up on the web said PDK. I like to check on these things before I enter into price negotiation.

I dont think asking for better pictures of the car before making an offer is unreasonable. If I cant get simple pictures of a car, then clearly the long distance buying process is not going to get better from there. I was buying over the internet, on a car they were selling on the internet. If they are going to dismiss internet customers as not serious then why are they selling on the internet?

If asking for pictures before I make an offer is too much to ask for then I guess my expectations are just too high.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:53 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by eflight
Yep, I was really serious, had the cash in hand, so if the process was to "seperate the wheat from the chaff", then it was not a very good one.

I made a very simple request for better pictures of wear on the seat bolsters on my very first e-mail.
The pictures that were posted on the web made it look like the wear was very heavy, but I wanted to double check. Just like the pictures showed a manual transmission and the write up on the web said PDK. I like to check on these things before I enter into price negotiation.

I dont think asking for better pictures of the car before making an offer is unreasonable. If I cant get simple pictures of a car, then clearly the long distance buying process is not going to get better from there. I was buying over the internet, on a car they were selling on the internet. If they are going to dismiss internet customers as not serious then why are they selling on the internet?

If asking for pictures before I make an offer is too much to ask for then I guess my expectations are just too high.
As i say, i did not mean any offense, i can see both sides of the equation here. I think its fair to ask for what you did, i also think its fair of the sales guy to qualify you as it where before doing what he has laid out. Sounds like you ended up with a great car, so no harm no foul.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:55 AM
Suns_PSD
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Knock the guy-

My best customers were full list sticker buyers. My worst customers were those that got the best deals and the ones I worked hardest to earn. Go figure-

I was in a small store/ small market- I had more than ample time to walk to my service dept. and run a dme inspection. This guy store- not his fault - is in highest $ retail in USA period with service off site. We sold near 85-90 cars a year- up to 110. These guys do 100 cars a month before count other brands they may get on trade etc. You become a check out clerk as lots of times it isn't sales- its leasing paperwork on "that" car etc. / The volume of inventory is going to bring in lots of customers- carry higher level of services and really I don't think this store is setup to handle the volume, but location works etc/dealer made it happen despite challenges. Probably due to Rodeo drive russian, middle east, etc $$$ /industry leasing pdon't matter buy it demographics this store represents. I digress with missing points and holes/ maybe not/ sorry.

Give this cat a break. Honestly, by the time I was #1 at my dealership/after awhile I had to reevaluate my priority list as my income and sales were declining- helping service mgr pass test, teaching others, front line ready the used trade in's, buy cars from auction for inventory so we had a nice CPO selection, picking up customer cars, learning about Porsche mechanics w/ techs. Chit chatting with customers in service dept, showing bmw/mini/audi customers with coffee in their hands the "show"- on the forums (1 first sponsors for caymanforum), maintain the CGT . drink coffee, take p-test, chase down leads. All while giving the Porsche experience to everyone and I hadn't sold 1 car. Unfortunately, he only gets paid to sell and you got to make a call on what I can do. I'm sure he could spend half his time chasing down other coworkers screw ups.

It is so hard to be awesome all the time- I really like how he has his own website, on this forum. Sometimes you make a mistake/ it doesn't lineup/ doesn't seem like it'll happen- so many hrs in a day and no one is on your side when your the salesman- people don't jump to help etc.

I'm now running my own companies, but love Porsche cars. Getting close now in Houston to opening my own store. I'd be happy to give this guy a shot. I thought his reply msg was very good. I love sales/ Porsche/ people- this is the bs that no one likes that loves their jobs- dissatisfied customers.

Personally, this is the farthest thing from Beverly Hills- a forum. Hope you go sell a plastic surgeon a full pop 991S for all this fire you've gotten mate.
I'm a salesman myself and I agree w/ everything you pointed out.

We have a certain number of hours in a day to provide for our families. We have to prioritize clients and profits. Some in Sales work really hard to give the guy you can't make much commision on as good as service as the easy sell. But in a busy economy, one has to prioritize and occasionally you get it wrong.
Old 08-13-2012, 11:05 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts
Default Prospect qualification...

Qualifiying prospects is a tricky issue. We've all experienced the idiot sales guy coming up on the lot and asking "Are you buying today?". WTF? Many many times people need to be coached and moved along the sales process in steps but in the end they buy and become good customers. This technique takes time and is not for the lazy or super busy cater-to-the-high dollar says guy.
In all fairness to Ryan, it sounds like he may be understaffed and moving such high numbers that he simply doesn't have time to work with the kind of enthusiasts on RennList that yes, can be a PITA, and may or may not buy in the end. The OP got caught in the whirlwind of a dealership that moves 100's of car every month. I like the Rennlister that found his car and had it transferred to a higher customer service dealership and got his sale at cost + 3K. Perfect. Alls well that ends well. I wasn't aware that dealerships will swap cars. Maybe it's a LA thing.
Old 08-13-2012, 01:33 PM
jgoga
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 20 Posts

http://porsche.rizzacars.com/

Hmmm i thought these guys sold more Porsches than anybody in the entire US.

John
Old 08-13-2012, 02:34 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Qualifying P-dealers and Buyers

Ryan has clearly posted verbose and insightful responses. I have to respect the man for that... I wonder, however, if I'm the right fit for his clientele and volume of business - the filtering does cuts both ways. For example, I'll typically make an offer in writing upfront on the vehicles I'm interested in to show my seriousness and to determine if the dealer is serious about working with me as well. If I get a positive response I'll take it to the next steps - more communication(I prefer email and phone calls) pics and DME report if it's a non-PDK. This is also where I gauge whether or not the sales person is genuine enough to work with... Afterwards, I always request that an Indy perform a PPI. I've had p-dealers position that a DME and PPI are not necessary as the car is under warranty, CPO, clean carfax, and a 111 point inspection only to find issues with the car after the PPI is performed. If all goes well I'll fly out to close the deal and arrange for shipment or pickup the car to drive back. Have done this successfully with four off the current vehicles on my drive-way.

We all have our own methods and value systems when it comes to purchasing these high dollar luxury vehicles and so do the dealers and their sales staff. It's tricky matching the right buyer to seller. In the case of Ryan and BHP. I have some simple questions... given that I'm interest in purchasing a p-car(actually I have an Uncle in BH who needs/wants to replace his old Merc) and that we've agreed on pricing:
1. Would you provide additional pics? pretty sure the answer would be yes but please confirm.
2. Would you go thru the trouble of providing a DME report? I assume a conditional yes... provided we come to terms on pricing... please confirm.
3. Would you allow for an Indy PPI and are there any charges I would have to incur? I know of some p-dealers who insist that the Indy use their p-dealer bays and then try to charge me for usage of such... just another means to dissuade knowledgeable customers from getting to the bottom line - how clean is the car?

We all need to filter and depending on answers towards the above queries that would help me personally determine if we might do some business together. I think it would help others on the forum as well to determine if BHP is the right fit for them. As enthusiast on this forum and it also appears that you're one as well I think you would appreciate our knowledge of these products and our associated scrutiny in kind. Although the three criteria I've listed above are fundamental to my own purchasing methodology... it appears that some things such as the DME are strange or foreign to the local clientele at BH. Understandable as I would not expect say "Johnny Depp" to recognize most of the TLA's in our vernacular let alone what a DME is... although that would be "cool" if he was a forum member and a true enthusiast.

BTW, thanks for sharing that BHP is the #1 volume p-car dealership in the US. That's good to know... may imply that we're both busy so we can cut to the chase - agree on a price or not and go on from there. Might also imply the uniqueness of that particular location and clientele... ie. perhaps mainly "21 Jumpstreet" type clients and not as many true enthusiast. I'm also curious about how BHP stacks rank in terms of 911 volumes against the rest of the nation? How about pre-owned 911's?

Again, I appreciate your sponsorship of the forum and responsiveness towards our queries. That is very encouraging and telling to us all. Now I'd like to determine if BHP is the type of p-dealer willing to work with an enthusiast such as myself in the manner I'm accustomed to purchasing these types of luxury automobiles as noted with the three criteria listed above. TIA.

Last edited by USMC_DS1; 08-13-2012 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 02:40 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Fair play to BHP and Ryan for supporting the site.

Get a new internet sales mgr tho. I took my business elsewhere as I felt the salesman was condescending. And I rec'd the deal I had hoped for on a turboS.....and probably bought the better optioned vehicle. So, maybe the guy at BHP did me a favor.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Ryan probably thinks the 991 is the best Porsche to date, loves the sun roof, the parking sensors and thinks the symposer is amazing. Probably can't wait for the new electric 911 to come out.
Quite the contrary, if you get the chance to meet me and pick my brain I think within 30 seconds I'll mention GT3 this and GT3 that. For me, that's the be all end all and what a Porsche should be. The fact of the matter is that the world is changing, there are new markets opening up and whether or not I agree with the direction of the 991 Porsche has decided that based on market research it is the best direction for the 911.

Personally the 991 is faster, quicker and easier to drive than most any 997 but as I tell one potential customer of mine, I just think there's something missing with the car. Yeah PDDC is cool and PDK is so quick and responsive, the new power steering is nice because it filters out some potentially unwanted feedback, but I want to actually drive the car, I want the car to talk to me not a computer and I don't really get excited by the car driving me. I for one can't wait for the 991 GT3 to get here and if some of you still have doubts that Porsche will somehow screw it up I suggest you just wait until it gets here.

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Ryan - I think this thread is your Rennlist 'Right of Passage'. Get through this pummeling and you'll be golden!

Personally, I'm fussy and given your location and volume you may find what I'm looking for in the future.

Good to meet you.

Never give up! Never surrender!
I think you're right about this being a right of passage, all I can do is represent myself and my brand and be upfront and honest with people. We might not be for everybody but I promise you that we're going to do whatever we can to EARN any potential customers business.

Yes we're high volume but we also have 13-15 salesmen here in the store and if I can't get to something there are people here who I trust that can help out.

In my world honesty is the best policy and if I can help someone with their request I will. If someone is looking for a car at a price that I know or don't believe that we'll have then I tell them that. Recently I had someone ask about a Panamera and told me that they'd like to buy one for $60,000 and that they didn't care if it were a turbo, an S or a V6. I tried to tell the guy that in my experience he's going to need to look for a V6 and I suggested that even that car would be a bit of a stretch from the $60,000 he wanted to spend. I didn't have one in the color combination he wanted so he continued to ask why we couldn't just sell him the 4,000 mile 2011 Panamera S that we had and I told him that 60k is just not the market for those cars. I also told him that because I know the market for these cars (both retail, CPO and wholesale) that he would probably be wasting his time looking for anything but a V6. He didn't take it well and wrote me a follow up e-mail that suggested we were just showing him the door. Now I'm not going to be able to say the right thing in the right way to every single different personality, I am the first to admit that, but I will always try to steer someone in the right direction but sometimes that doesn't always work out.

As I mentioned, everyone is different and I'm continuing to learn the best ways to help everyone all of the time. Thinking realistically though that's just not always going to happen. But for anyone that has an inquiry I welcome it and whether I have the car you're looking for or not I'll try to guide you as best I can to get there. Maybe in the above scenario I shouldn't have said anything more than " I just don't have the car you're looking for" but I'm always trying to help and direct people to find the right fit for them.

Originally Posted by German_Saint
Knock the guy-

Sounds like you're plugged in and there's certainly some truth to what you've mentioned about BH.

Thanks for the encouraging words

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
1. Would you provide additional pics? pretty sure the answer would be yes but please confirm.
2. Would you go thru the trouble of providing a DME report? I assume a conditional yes... provided we come to terms on pricing... please confirm.
3. Would you allow for an Indy PPI and are there any charges I would have to incur? I know of some p-dealers who insist that the Indy use their p-dealer bays and then try to charge me for usage of such... just another means to dissuade knowledgeable customers from getting to the bottom line - how clean is the car?

I'm also curious about how BHP stacks rank in terms of 911 volumes against the rest of the nation? How about pre-owned 911's?
Thanks for the response, I wanted to address some of your questions

1) ABSOLUTELY! I actually get crap from my managers because in their opinion the photos that I take aren't necessary and that I spend to much time documenting the car and their condition. This is simply difference of opinion between myself and management but I believe that the more pictures that I can provide the better and that it helps to separate myself from the competition. If I shoot a car I generally take between 40 and 70 pictures depending on the car and if you want to see something else I will show it if I can. I'm set up for this with a Flickr page and youtube channel so this is not at all what i consider an unreasonable request. If I can't take a picture I'll let you know and in the case of the original response I received on this thread I just didn't have the car and was unable to take any additional photos. It must be said however that although I didn't have the very specific photo he asked for, I did have about 40 pictures of the car and because the photos sent to ebay are compressed and you loose the detail of the original, I did provide one of the original images (2 or 3 actually) trying to show in better detail the things he was trying to see.

2) DME reports are not a problem whatsoever and we don't even need to agree on price before hand for that. In the situation that was mentioned the car was not here and was on its way to auction. I would have had to pull the car from auction and truck it back here and that is why I tried to finalize a number on the car pending inspection. Because we never got there I couldn't have the car sent back and it ultimately sold a few days later at auction.

3) PPI's are welcomed and it's actually California law that we must make all cars available for inspection on the customers request. It must be noted that the inspection would be on the customers dime and generally I suggest that we look for a facility within 20 miles. I have taken cars to Porsche stores in Pasadena and Woodland hills for 3rd party inspection so that is not at all unusual.

Originally Posted by LewisB
Fair play to BHP and Ryan for supporting the site.

Get a new internet sales mgr tho. I took my business elsewhere as I felt the salesman was condescending. And I rec'd the deal I had hoped for on a turboS.....and probably bought the better optioned vehicle. So, maybe the guy at BHP did me a favor.
I'll let Glen know about this although it sounds like you did end up with exactly what you wanted. Maybe the next time you're in the market you can give me a shot.

Quick Reply: An introduction to Beverly Hills Porsche