Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An introduction to Beverly Hills Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 06:35 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I think Ryan is a hellava salesman. I will take both those 2011 turbos off your hands. To whom do I make out the check?
Old 08-11-2012, 06:45 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
A good salesman knows how to separate a prospect from a suspect.
Suspects drain your energy, and prevent you from devoting time to a real potential customer.
Suspects are never quite satisfied, and are the first to complain ....loudly.
A price conscious, demanding and suspicious customer, sending an e mail, from across the country , is a suspect.
Did you indicate that you were a ready buyer, and all that remained was a positive DME to seal the deal..or was the DME what you needed to start the process of negotiation, and nit picking?
E mail is easy and free, as is slamming this guy in a public forum for doing nothing but showing common sense.

No one wants to turn away business, but after a while you learn when to walk away, and refer "customers" to your worst competitor, and let him play the losing game.

I'd say he did the right thing.
I have to agree with the Goose. Ryan did what any salesman would do: he assessed the situation and made his call. He decided that it was not worth his time to get the car scanned. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that. With the amount of volume that BH Porsche does, one has to set priorities. Taking a less-than-popular car to auction is probably easier, faster, and only slightly less profitable than selling to a customer - especially if you take the worth of Ryan's time into account.

I can imagine Ryan's thought process:
- "I've got 100 emails to respond to."
- "I need to sell 30 cars this month."
- "I've got 6 big, rich, dumb fish on the line for cars this week. Each one about to make me an offer without asking any questions - they just want to drive a Porsche."
- "Ugh. Here comes a customer asking me to spend 2 hours getting a piece of preliminary purchase information."
- "Ugh. He's probably going to ask me about IMSs, RMSs, and a bunch of other stuff that none of my other BH posers are going to ask me about, let alone care about."
- "Let me see if he'll DEFINITELY buy this car if I get the DME scan for him. If not, screw it. I've got more important customers to make happy."

I'm not saying that Ryan is any better or worse than any other car salesman. He's just trying to close.

A. Always.
B. Be.
C. Closing.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:54 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread and the clip of Glengarry Glen Ross have reminded me what a horrible job sales is.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:06 PM
OGWGFIW
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lotsa different kinds of sales jobs. Some suck more than others just like the salespeople that occupy them. If i were to sell cars, i wouldnt mind being exactly where he is. Mgordon and gray goose are right on.

His activities here will help drive volume. I would give him a shot next year if he had a car I was interested in.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:07 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

You obviously hAve never seen pretty woman. I can't tell you how many times PITA customers, initially , turned into great accounts by going above and beyond and proving ourselves over and over again. Will not be taking a lesson in sales from anybody in NJ.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:25 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 474 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
This thread and the clip of Glengarry Glen Ross have reminded me what a horrible job sales is.
Love sales .......and great salespeople.......it's just tough to be good at it..........you need great skills and an empathy for the customer........hardly anybody has that....let alone the skills to communicate that message.

The great thing about sales is "it's up to me"........no one else to count on.......only me!

Tom
Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 PM
mgordon18
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by MICHAELWWW
You obviously hAve never seen pretty woman. I can't tell you how many times PITA customers, initially , turned into great accounts by going above and beyond and proving ourselves over and over again. Will not be taking a lesson in sales from anybody in NJ.
Yikes! That's a shot at Jersey outta nowhere... I'm sure Central Ohio is a hotbed of top notch salespeople. That's to where the cream of the crop gravitate, no? But in the end you're right - the rich suburbs of New York City are nowhere to be taking lessons in sales.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:47 PM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by McCulla
Ryan, I don't know you and you don't know me. That said, I want to add my 2 cents in response to your last post. I owned my own small business for nearly 30 years and the survival of that business and the financial well being of my family and my employees depended on top flight customer service in a very competetive marketplace. This business was a service business and was performed totally face to face (literally), no phone/email/social media, etc. transactions. With that experience as my backdrop, I have to tell you that the long presentation that you just gave regarding the interaction you had with eflight sounds to me as if you really don't need our business. You make several statements about how huge your inventory is, the extreme email traffic that you have to juggle, the difficulty of working a 5 mile drive to your service shop into your busy day, the relative "undesirability" of a 40K mile car, etc. and, to me, all this does is convince me that you have TOO MUCH business. With the description of your work load, I personally would assume that you absolutely do not have the time to devote the attention that I feel I would like to have if I am considering spending $40-$75K in your business. I read your post as an excuse, but that is just my opinion and I want to emphatically state that it is just my opinion. (I suppose it may be appropriate to mention that I have owned 8 Porsches. 6 were purchased from various dealers around the US--Illinois/PA/FL/NE and 2 were purchased used--one from California and one from Illinois. These purchases span the time from 1987 to the present). Good luck.
+1

My impression is that Ryan believes we need his cars more than he needs our sales and therefore customer service suffers.

Customer service like that will continually get tore up on internet forums.
Old 08-11-2012, 07:58 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll second that... As a fellow small business owner I try to convey the feeling to my customers that they are the only one I am concerned with at any given time. It's simply big talking(pseudo-lying) to over-state the car inventory and email business one has.

Some things are just better left unsaid.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:02 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by McCulla
With that experience as my backdrop, I have to tell you that the long presentation that you just gave regarding the interaction you had with eflight sounds to me as if you really don't need our business. You make several statements about how huge your inventory is, the extreme email traffic that you have to juggle, the difficulty of working a 5 mile drive to your service shop into your busy day, the relative "undesirability" of a 40K mile car, etc. and, to me, all this does is convince me that you have TOO MUCH business. With the description of your work load, I personally would assume that you absolutely do not have the time to devote the attention that I feel I would like to have if I am considering spending $40-$75K in your business. I read your post as an excuse, but that is just my opinion and I want to emphatically state that it is just my opinion. (I suppose it may be appropriate to mention that I have owned 8 Porsches. 6 were purchased from various dealers around the US--Illinois/PA/FL/NE and 2 were purchased used--one from California and one from Illinois. These purchases span the time from 1987 to the present). Good luck.
If I didn't care I wouldn't have spent my morning run thinking about how to handle the post and make it right. While I'm the first to admit that I'm not perfect and that I'm not going to please everyone every time I value my reputation and that of the store's above all else and if there was a problem it's my aim to make it right. I believe in total transparency and If anyone was interested to read the response I provided they might gain a better understanding as to what it is I do on a daily basis.

As I mentioned in the introduction, I'm here to help and offer my services to those that are available to it. I am a long time Rennlist member (since 2004) and if you search my name you'll find that I've been one of you for a long time. I've had an absurd number of posts (something like 10,000) with the majority of them in the 928 forum where I learned how to rebuild and restore and eventually helped others do the same with their cars. I've been to group tech sessions and love getting my hands dirty on P-car projects. This is my passion and yes I do think that makes me unique in my current role with sales. If you disagree that's ok too, but I think that if you spend some time to get to know me that you'll see that I'm here to contribute to the community and make it a better place to visit.

Whether or not you want to buy a car from me now or in the future doesn't really matter right now, I'm an enthusiast first and salesmen second. If you spend anytime getting to know me I think you'll come to the same conclusion.

Fair enough?

Originally Posted by eflight
Ryan , I have no desire to take this further, whats the point ?

You posted that you are a different kind of used car salesman, my experience leads me to believe you are no better than anyone other salesman.

If I had to make a commitment on the car to get a couple of pictures of seat wear then I must not have really mattered as a customer. You took more time writing up your response today then it would have taken you to take the pictures in the first place.

You had your chance to show how great you are and you blew it, simple as that.

Have a nice day
By the time you and I spoke about DME reports and photos the following week the car was no longer in Beverly Hills. I think I told you that I no longer had access to the car for photos and a visit to the shop. I do however remember pulling my originals 12mp images up from the computer and sending you enlarged and cropped photos of the drivers side seat bolster that you'd mentioned.

When I tried to take the deal further we were at a standstill and the car sold shortly there after.

Originally Posted by krysFly
I fully agree, I wanted to make my 997 a track car, but for all the reasons mentioned above I am looking for a 996 gt3 instead.
If you intend to put a lot of miles on the track I can't recommend the GT3 enough! Especially if the alternative is spending a bunch of money modifying a Carrera for track duty.

I was in the market for a 996 GT3 few months ago and missed out on a really nice one. If you find one you like, those cars sell faster than anything out there. Most that I inquired about sold within a week and often times less. Great performance at a price thats available to most Porsche buyers. Don't wait around on those guys, if you want it GET IT!

Originally Posted by utkinpol
If you find clean 996 or 997 gt3 car and you can afford it - buy it.
GTS is also nice as it seems but they are still pretty expensive.
GTS is great for those that want something more than a Carrera S but have to have the PDK transmission. I'm glad to see the GTS become somewhat of a mainstay now within the Porsche range. We just got the new Cayenne GTS in and it's a hell of a car.

Originally Posted by MICHAELWWW
I think Ryan is a hellava salesman. I will take both those 2011 turbos off your hands. To whom do I make out the check?
You can make checks payable to Beverly Hills Porsche
Old 08-11-2012, 08:03 PM
BevHillsPorsche
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by JohnnyBahamas
HA HA

It can be tough, even when you're selling something you love.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:04 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by mgordon18
I have to agree with the Goose. Ryan did what any salesman would do: he assessed the situation and made his call. He decided that it was not worth his time to get the car scanned. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with that. With the amount of volume that BH Porsche does, one has to set priorities. Taking a less-than-popular car to auction is probably easier, faster, and only slightly less profitable than selling to a customer - especially if you take the worth of Ryan's time into account.

I can imagine Ryan's thought process:
- "I've got 100 emails to respond to."
- "I need to sell 30 cars this month."
- "I've got 6 big, rich, dumb fish on the line for cars this week. Each one about to make me an offer without asking any questions - they just want to drive a Porsche."
- "Ugh. Here comes a customer asking me to spend 2 hours getting a piece of preliminary purchase information."
- "Ugh. He's probably going to ask me about IMSs, RMSs, and a bunch of other stuff that none of my other BH posers are going to ask me about, let alone care about."
- "Let me see if he'll DEFINITELY buy this car if I get the DME scan for him. If not, screw it. I've got more important customers to make happy."

I'm not saying that Ryan is any better or worse than any other car salesman. He's just trying to close.

A. Always.
B. Be.
C. Closing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7zHF...eature=related
I would agree with this assessment and I think it's an approach most car salesman take. I talked to Ryan about ordering a Spyder about 1.5 years ago, shortly after he started working at BH. I think he took the approach above with me as well since I wanted an allocation to order exactly what I wanted and on top of that wanted to reasonable transaction price. The amount of money in SoCal is incredible and I personally don't blame him for not wanting to sell at a discount since I'm sure he could sell at full price.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:06 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Originally Posted by mgordon18
Yikes! That's a shot at Jersey outta nowhere... I'm sure Central Ohio is a hotbed of top notch salespeople. That's to where the cream of the crop gravitate, no? But in the end you're right - the rich suburbs of New York City are nowhere to be taking lessons in sales.
Did 2 years in NJ, had a district office in Morristown. Other offices in Sterling, Union, Livingston, Rockaway, Hacketstown, Washington Twp, Blairstown, Phillipsburg, Stroudsburg,PA, Parsippany, Mendham and Dover. If there are so many great salesmen in NJ they wouldn't have had to pay me $25k just to go there. I actually really liked NJ just couldn't keep up the 80 hour plus work weeks. And NY and NJ are not the same thing.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:19 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Ryan, as you probably know the inventory - do all 997.2 GTS now come from a factory with PDK only or do they still make ones with 6sp?
I looked around last winter for silver or white GTS with 6sp tranny, SPASM (with LSD) and 5 lug wheels (not CL) and found none. Do they even exist?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:21 PM
boolala
Race Car

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
.....Did you indicate that you were a ready buyer, and all that remained was a positive DME to seal the deal..or was the DME what you needed to start the process of negotiation, and nit picking?
Agree. When I was negotiating for my F-car I asked the salesman for an SD3 report (similar too, but much more extensive than, a DME report). He asked me to put down a 5 K refundable deposit to justify them taking the car out of the showroom floor and into the service bay to have this done.

Quick Reply: An introduction to Beverly Hills Porsche