Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An introduction to Beverly Hills Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 03:00 AM
German_Saint
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my .02- of BHP - I walked in OCT 05 from a training launch of the cayman S- having just been through Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and this the 2nd largest volume dealership at the time it was the top of my list. I'd been working at Brian Harris Porsche in Baton Rouge- since graduating LSU in 04- started in march 05. We had some experience with Beverly Hills in a manager named Tina who liked to cherry pick my builds as my goal was to build out our available inventory IMO to what a "hot" pcar = sexy, elegant, bad boy. etc- all fit in different niche appeal.

Already long winded- walked in - talked to a nice man- asked for Tina- not there- Asked how they could be of assistance? I said I was interested in applying for the job - The gentleman drilled me on how big my market was in LA, how many other dealers (hahaha none!> New Orleans?) Beverly Hills has 8 I think in driving distances..maybe only 6. Mentioned no time to train someone in how to sell..

I sprung into my walk around - I think it was GT Silver on LTS "lipstick red"/carrera red- did that and he said'
When ya coming?'

2 scared to jump at 23 and only 8 months in- looking back I wish I did but life has a way of making its own course.

The gentleman I talked to was the GSM- Dean Marrone? at the time- very nice man. seemed like a good place to hang your hat.

In regards to this thread- comes with the territory. Can't win them all & trying to make it "right" is impossible- move on and smile.

Love sales and Porsche's. On my 2nd- a 997 TT and running my own company. maybe Ryan and I can do some business with his "stale merchandise"
Old 08-12-2012, 06:02 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by utkinpol
Gosh, guys, leave that Ryan alone... He is car salesman, what do you want from him?
Our grudge is with PCNA, not with anybody from a dealership. Dealer does not decide on engine warranty status anyway, it is corporate that really deserves a good blown up lawsuit compared to ones against Toyota or GM.

All Ryan or any dealer thinks now is how to sell 991, they do not care about M96/M97 motors grenading in old 997.1 cars. For them it is like those car even never existed, and we keep talking of DME scans, sniff tests, signs of tar on left pipe, while it is just bad motor design that cannot sustain track stress for long.
Prey and hope cylinder will not crack, rod bolts will not brake, IMS bearing will not fall apart and keep some $20k in reserve for new motor as corporate Porsche does not give a damn.
dealerships sell the cars, they should support their prospects wants/desires to a certain degree. PCNA did not prohibit the DME of additional pics....wth??

re CL wheels - they just suck. sure the "Race car" thing is cool but they're not practical. going to the dealership for a flat is a PITA. what do you do if it's the middle of the night???

Last edited by pissedpuppy; 08-12-2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:24 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I would agree with this assessment and I think it's an approach most car salesman take. I talked to Ryan about ordering a Spyder about 1.5 years ago, shortly after he started working at BH. I think he took the approach above with me as well since I wanted an allocation to order exactly what I wanted and on top of that wanted to reasonable transaction price. The amount of money in SoCal is incredible and I personally don't blame him for not wanting to sell at a discount since I'm sure he could sell at full price.
sure - it always easier to take the low hanging fruit

but what happens when that fruit isn't there - do you then take the time to get the scan?

how about a new approach and with all the pics, videos, etc. - offer a DME scan for all your used cars too. sure it takes time - but that's called service - above and beyond what the others are doing.

in a lot of sales jobs - guys aren't just calling you up to place an order. if it were that easy sales people wouldn't be needed, just an email account or a fax machine loaded with paper to collect orders from
Old 08-12-2012, 06:59 AM
El Fredo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welcome to Beverly Hills

Originally Posted by sullivas
Dang it Uncle Jed, that Ryan feller musta gave us the wrong di-rections...now I ain't never gonna git a Porch..
Very Funny, entertainment at it best!
Gota watch them there Porch salesmen!
Old 08-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
sure - it always easier to take the low hanging fruit

but what happens when that fruit isn't there - do you then take the time to get the scan?

how about a new approach and with all the pics, videos, etc. - offer a DME scan for all your used cars too. sure it takes time - but that's called service - above and beyond what the others are doing.

in a lot of sales jobs - guys aren't just calling you up to place an order. if it were that easy sales people wouldn't be needed, just an email account or a fax machine loaded with paper to collect orders from
David I agree 100%.

I will add that Ryan is a good guy, he's been on these forums for years and he's always been straight up. I genuinely think he can be a big asset to this forum and help many with finding a car. Yeah he may have made a mistake here or there but who doesn't.

Anyways I do wish him good luck and if I'm ever in the market for a second Porsche I will give him a shout.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:46 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Fairly typical. These type of people plague the industry. Hopefully Ryan isn't in charge of INTERNET sales. Sorry about your bad experience but these guys are paid on how many cars they sell a month no matter if they are paid commission or salary. They have to turn cars and if you don't seem like you're going to buy that day....they will blow you off. The car business is wicked.

Originally Posted by eflight
My personal experience is that Ryan is not a go to guy. Just the opposite.

Since Ryan posted on this forum, saying how great he is then I'll post my view from my personal experience. Yes Ryan I kept all the e-mails

Back in March I was looking at a 2009 911 at Beverly hills Porsche. I sent Ryan an email saying I was interested in the car and requested the DME numbers and some better pictures of the seat wear on Saturday, he said he did not have the DME and it was raining but would get them on Monday.

Then he sent me an e-mail later on Sat that its a great car, he just took it out for lunch, I guess there was no time during lunch to get pictures.

No DME or pictures on Monday or Tuesday.

So on Wed I sent a another request for the DME, and pictures.

So the response Wed asking about th DME or pics was : No I didn't , the car is at an auction that's supposed to run tomorrow."

Then comes the classic salesmen line "As I mentioned, we never retail cars with over revs so can we assume it's ok?"

I'm thinking : Assume its ok, a car you are sending to auction, you have got to be kidding me.

He tells me if we can make a deal he can pull it off auction. Deal, I can't even get decent pictures of the car.

Then the pictures he sends me are the ones he posted on the e-bay ad. They show seat wear, but I cant tell how bad it its.

Then the BS really starts fly, tells me how few people ask for the DME.
This is from his e-mail

"The DME reports aren't common knowledge and in order to get one it requires me to pull the car off the line, drive it 5 miles away to our service department and wait for the technician to run the report. Again, this is all done as part of CPO certification and there are parameters that much be met for Porsche to guarantee the car. Again, the only time I'm ever asked about DME reports ate on GT3's and cars that may have seen time on the racetrack"

Me, I looked at a dozen cars, every time I asked for a DME the salesmen got it to me with in a day. No one asked for a check, no one else asked for a commitment. They understood it as something a serious buyer asked for, especially on a manual transmission.

So needless to say I did not pursue the car, its hard to buy a car when the salesman will not get you the basic information on the car to make a decision on going forward. Maybe that's just the way they do things out in Beverly Hills.

So when Ryan writes "I’m a bit different from people you might have encountered in the past when trying to buy a car"

Just remember that "different" in sometimes means worse

Last edited by Spokane5150; 08-12-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:01 AM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
David I agree 100%.

I will add that Ryan is a good guy, he's been on these forums for years and he's always been straight up. I genuinely think he can be a big asset to this forum and help many with finding a car. Yeah he may have made a mistake here or there but who doesn't.

Anyways I do wish him good luck and if I'm ever in the market for a second Porsche I will give him a shout.
sorry, wasn't meant to come across too negative toward Ryan. I don't know him, but somehow this turned into a sales (in general) discussion.

certainly we all make mistakes, I just hope to learn from those I continue to make - it can be a dog fight out there.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:02 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Blah, blah, blah....blah. You don't know the first thing about customer service, running a business or selling cars. Internet sales is about chasing every lead and trying to close the deal. The trend of buying cars on-line is getting stronger every year because people hate dealing with the car salesmen. Porsche is in the drivers seat so why work hard if you sell' every car with ease.

Originally Posted by Graygoose997
A good salesman knows how to separate a prospect from a suspect.
Suspects drain your energy, and prevent you from devoting time to a real potential customer.
Suspects are never quite satisfied, and are the first to complain ....loudly.
A price conscious, demanding and suspicious customer, sending an e mail, from across the country , is a suspect.
Did you indicate that you were a ready buyer, and all that remained was a positive DME to seal the deal..or was the DME what you needed to start the process of negotiation, and nit picking?
E mail is easy and free, as is slamming this guy in a public forum for doing nothing but showing common sense.

No one wants to turn away business, but after a while you learn when to walk away, and refer "customers" to your worst competitor, and let him play the losing game.

I'd say he did the right thing.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:10 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Agree....the experience of buying a car should be fantastic. The experience should be like going into a 4 star restaurant especially when buy a Porsche. Instead you're sized up, hosed on finance, hosed on a warranty, hosed on the price and hosed on customer service most of the time. Twenty plus cars purchased over the last 25 years and I can only think of one or two excellent experiences buy a car.

Originally Posted by MICHAELWWW
You obviously hAve never seen pretty woman. I can't tell you how many times PITA customers, initially , turned into great accounts by going above and beyond and proving ourselves over and over again. Will not be taking a lesson in sales from anybody in NJ.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:14 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Well said. Good listener, empathy, fairness, great customer service, proper management of expectations and going above and beyond your competition. Easy formula for success. Most people want it....most people don't get it.

Originally Posted by TommyV44
Love sales .......and great salespeople.......it's just tough to be good at it..........you need great skills and an empathy for the customer........hardly anybody has that....let alone the skills to communicate that message.

The great thing about sales is "it's up to me"........no one else to count on.......only me!

Tom
Old 08-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Ryan probably thinks the 991 is the best Porsche to date, loves the sun roof, the parking sensors and thinks the symposer is amazing. Probably can't wait for the new electric 911 to come out.

Originally Posted by kosmo
um, this pretty much sums it up for me.

Paver/ utkinpol
you guys shouldnt have to school a P salesperson.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:30 AM
blazing928
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always hard to win in sales and make every sale perfect.
e-flight has a genuine beef, maybe he was sick of chasing salesman & crap cars and was just pissed off with the whole process & Ryan ended up getting an earful.
In sales they said a good experience, most people tell 3-4 others, a poor experience, most people tell 12, well e-flight has certainly reached a bigger audience when Ryan put himself out there with a group of tough cuctomers, the 911 owner!
I recently went the other way with the local LR dealer when looking at buying the out going RR TDV8, I said unless you are near my price bracket, lets not bother with test drives etc, so I was qualifying the salesman.
In the end one dealer PCM [melbourne] gave me exact prices where PCB was "around" this price- we will talk if you come down. I brought from PCM!
Kudos for Ryan , he is an enthusiast and has great tastes in Porsche ! His dealership is not a type that can spend hours & hours on an initial prospect, so perhaps if you need that attention, then a big dealer will not work , especially from across the country.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,269 Likes on 585 Posts

Ryan - I think this thread is your Rennlist 'Right of Passage'. Get through this pummeling and you'll be golden!

Personally, I'm fussy and given your location and volume you may find what I'm looking for in the future.

Good to meet you.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Last edited by Zeus993; 08-12-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-12-2012, 10:58 AM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Spokane5150
Ryan probably thinks the 991 is the best Porsche to date, loves the sun roof, the parking sensors and thinks the symposer is amazing. Probably can't wait for the new electric 911 to come out.
in every sales no matter what you have te sell the most recent current product you are given IS the best one to date. as you got to sell it, otherwise you are out of your job.

i do not think 991 is such a bad car, it is just different, again, just like 996 was different from 993.

if factory did not do same **** with 'cost reduction' measures that pretty much plagued 996 reliability and 997.1 motors as well then probably 991 will be a fine car. if every quirk and sneeze of 991 will result in an obligatory visit to a dealer and shipment of affected parts back to Germany as no one can service them locally - then this car will fail as no one will want to deal with it.

but as 997.2 is almost same with 991 drivetrain wise and so far was a very good car with fine reliability I see no reason why 991 should be much different.

all in all, let`s wait for 991 gt3 car first, then we will see what factory decided to do. if they destroyed gt3 line and will call a 991 'GTS' car with SPASM 'new GT3' then it will be a sad end of a great line of GT motors and after that one will have to think really well what to expect next. especially considering that new cup car spy video that was published recently does not really show same body and motor is not DFI from the sound - if that means that factory used different tub/chassis, different mount points, that means nothing from cup car will work on 991 street car, and, well, list of subsequent implications will be quite long. if it will be uncovered that there is no inherited compartibility in 991 line from cup car down to gt3 and street cars then this whole line is pretty much worthless, in my opinion, but, we will have to wait and see what will be shown.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:05 AM
Spokane5150
Banned

Buying Cars "Is what is," and it's not going to change anytime soon. Best thing to do is accept it and understand the business so you can make a proper decision. You want a "Fair" deal. You don't want to get ripped off and you don't want to gouge the dealer. The dealer needs to make money. If you don't want to get gouged then do the following:

*Understand what the car is trading (Black Book) for at auction. Manheim not KBB.

*Get your financing done up front and let the dealer beat your best offer. Understand your Auto Credit Score and your standard scores. Some banks use different scores and one may be to your advantage.

*Understand the leasing: Residual and Money Factor. Do the math and have two or three dealers run the numbers on the same car if you're not sure.

*Don't buy maintenance.

*Don't buy additional warranty.

*Don't buy extra insurance.

*Don't pay for any services you don't want.

*Offer a fair price.

Personally, I like to do this in person but I understand if some folks that don't like confrontation or manipulation prefer to do this on-line.

Quick Reply: An introduction to Beverly Hills Porsche