Sponsored by:

Drove a brand new 991S and 997GTS

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:08 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 378 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Did anyone catch the Spain vs Italy Euro 2012 Final?
Yes I did! And by your nick I'll assume you're not very happy with the outcome...That was an embarrassment for Italy and it was all Prandelli's fault with his stupid changes. Why would you take Montolivo out and put Motta in,who is kind of a defensive midfielder when you're losing 2-0,I will never understand?! Also,why complete all 3 changes in the 60th minute in a final where injuries can happen(which it did) is beyond me...
Sorry for the rant...back to Porsche...
Also I prefer BIONDA...hahaha!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:15 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

I know...but he asked...
Old 07-02-2012, 05:57 PM
FnHern
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
neanicu, for those who might not be familiar with Panorama, the PCA monthly magazine, the sales figures I posted are tracked as a regular feature of the "Street Talk" column and have been for years. They are taken from official factory sources and are very specific, reflecting both good numbers and bad over the 26 years that I've been a subscriber and member. If Porsche AG has been faking sales statistics, you'd think someone at PCA would begin to notice discrepancies. Of course, the Porsche Club of America and Panorama's editors may be in on it too.....
You're being ABSURD, Mike. Why would you rely on actual sales figures when we have PalmBeacher's official 991 count based on his putt-putts through South Florida? (no doubt while pulling off numerous "quick 360s" with his handbrake.) Plus, his observations are substantiated by at least two posters on an internet chat board!! And he also has behind-the-scenes access to the sales and service staff of a Porsche dealer (a REALLY big one)!

Clearly you are ill-informed, Mike. PalmB is also an economist, at least based on his maxim of "perceptions means everything to sales"! You won't get that kind of insight on MSNBC ... or is that CNBC? You mess with PalmB, you get the horns.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FnHern
You're being ABSURD, Mike. Why would you rely on actual sales figures when we have PalmBeacher's official 991 count based on his putt-putts through South Florida? (no doubt while pulling off numerous "quick 360s" with his handbrake.) Plus, his observations are substantiated by at least two posters on an internet chat board!! And he also has behind-the-scenes access to the sales and service staff of a Porsche dealer (a REALLY big one)!

Clearly you are ill-informed, Mike. PalmB is also an economist, at least based on his maxim of "perceptions means everything to sales"! You won't get that kind of insight on MSNBC ... or is that CNBC? You mess with PalmB, you get the horns.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Quadcammer: You have yet to answer my question.
Old 07-02-2012, 06:53 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

ROFLMAO! It is truly entertaining to watch some of you chaps trying to grasp something other than your genitalia.

BTW, where are those so-called official sales statistics? Do you have them broken down by country and region? I would so much like to see where exactly all those 991s have been sold...because thus far nobody has reported from any US state or the UK or the EU that they have seen any significant number of them on the road.

Perhaps you'd like to assert that all the thousands of new owners have driven their new 991s home from the dealership in the dead of night and left them in their garages?
Old 07-02-2012, 08:21 PM
FnHern
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher
ROFLMAO! It is truly entertaining to watch some of you chaps trying to grasp something other than your genitalia.

BTW, where are those so-called official sales statistics? Do you have them broken down by country and region? I would so much like to see where exactly all those 991s have been sold...because thus far nobody has reported from any US state or the UK or the EU that they have seen any significant number of them on the road.

Perhaps you'd like to assert that all the thousands of new owners have driven their new 991s home from the dealership in the dead of night and left them in their garages?
Palmbeacher, you ignorant ****! You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! I love it how you continue to spout your silly personal observations over actual data. It seems like what we've got here is a failure to communicate, I'd just like to see some actual data instead of your personal observations. Cmon, show me the money! You're gonna need a bigger boat if you continue to spout your nonsense on this issue.

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time! Or Quad's gonna get all get medieval on your ***.

Gonna go drive my 997 now. I feel the need—the need for speed.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:25 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 87 Posts

Unfortunately yes! I'm a huge Azzurri fan and have been watching this Euro cup from the qualification stages. I expected much better, especially after the way Germany was handled. We also had some "male fortuna" in Chellini getting hurt and then Tiago Motta getting hurt and putting us down a man w/ 1/2 hr left! Tough enough to beat Spain heads up, but to try a comeback down 1, is almost impossible. Hats off to Spain though, great team and a historical one. This was still a great cup for Italy making it to the final, w/ a new coach and off the pathetic World Cup appearance in South Africa. No vedo loro per Brazilia in14', forza Azzurri!!!!!!
Old 07-02-2012, 08:28 PM
sixtosune
Instructor

Palmbeacher, you ignorant ****! You want the truth? You can't handle the truth! I love it how you continue to spout your silly personal observations over actual data. It seems like what we've got here is a failure to communicate, I'd just like to see some actual data instead of your personal observations. Cmon, show me the money! You're gonna need a bigger boat if you continue to spout your nonsense on this issue.

Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time! Or Quad's gonna get all get medieval on your ***.

Gonna go drive my 997 now. I feel the need—the need for speed.
too funny !!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:00 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Palmbeacher

See the link below for 911 monthly sales figures for 2010-2011 and through May 2112 for the U.S. and Canada, as well as yearly U.S. 911 sales numbers back through 2002. This is one month more current than the numbers I posted originally from the Panorama article. If you add the first 4 months of U.S. sales the total comes to 3,094 which is the exact number posted in Panorama. Calculating the April monthly and YTD increases over 2011 997 sales also yields the same percentage increases as those in the Panorama article, so the numbers are consistent. Note that the 991 is on pace to approach some of the better years of 997 sales, even though the economic climate now is much worse than in the middle of the last decade.

FWIW, 3094 cars spread over the entire United States is a small number. The fact that any given individual hasn't seen one in a particular place or at a specific time doesn't seem particularly surprising, to me at least. In any event, AFAIC the point of this line of discussion is that the 991 is selling competitively well compared to it's predecessor, anecdotal observations notwithstanding.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01...s-figures.html

Last edited by Mike in CA; 07-02-2012 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:29 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

See the link below for 911 monthly sales figures for 2010-2011 and through May 2112 for the U.S. and Canada, as well as yearly U.S. 911 sales numbers back through 2002. This is one month more current than the numbers I posted originally from the Panorama article. If you add the first 4 months of U.S. sales the total comes to 3,094 which is the exact number posted in Panorama. Calculating the April monthly and YTD increases over 2011 997 sales also yields the same percentage increases as those in the Panorama article, so the numbers are consistent. Note that the 991 is on pace to match some of the best years of 997 sales, even though the economic climate now is considerably worse than in the middle of the last decade.

FWIW, 3094 cars spread over the entire United States is a small number. The fact that any given individual hasn't seen one doesn't seem particularly surprising, to me at least. In any event, AFAIC the point of this line of discussion is that the 991 is selling competitively well compared to it's predecessor, anecdotal observations notwithstanding.

You must be related to Bernie Madoff to use actual sales figures and logic to respond to the chaps. How dare you

Mike, I used to have the utmost respect for you, now I just dont know. I have spent the last 3 days driving around So Cal, doing 360's with my manual handbrake and my hydraulic steering - counting the number of faux 911's (aka 991's) that i can see. Thats the method that non- Madoff's use and it IS the only method. Porsche will lie to you and misrepresent sales at each and every opportunity. Surely you know that by now. I pull up next to the 991's I see and give them the bird and tell them that I could afford a 991 - lest they think for 1 minute i couldnt, and that I chose not to buy one because its hideous, huge, lower, luxurious, Panamera-like etc. - before i pull off in disdain.

I also dont hesitate to look at my engine every minute I get - in fact i leave the rear decklid open in case anyone else wants to look at it, when I'm out and about. Its going to be a rare sight moving forward - the sight of a 911 engine.

I also attached a bumper sticker to my "real" 911 that says liberals are idiots soon after i did donuts in a hospital parking lot.

Ahhhh life is good when you become enlightened..
Old 07-02-2012, 09:35 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 870 Likes on 594 Posts

Mike - On a serious note - I am sorta blown away by how good the 911 sales have actually been this year. Those numbers actually startle me, given that things are certainly not great out there. Big jumps over 2010 and 2011. Maybe people were plowing in while the market soared to 13,300 from 11,200 in November 2011. Lets see what happens over the May, June timeframe with Europe getting all squirrely on us and the economy sorta getting shaky both here and in the East.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 84 Posts

rodsky........

Old 07-02-2012, 11:22 PM
TxBob74
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Not really trying to fan any flames here, but how many new 911s sold in recent months have been 991s? Seriously. Aren't new 997s still being sold?

Porsche corporate website shows there are eighteen 911 varieties with only four being 991s. 997 C4s, GTSs, Targas and Turbos are still advertised and (presumably) in production and being sold. So perhaps "911" sales are up due to folks purchasing the last 997s before they are phased out.

If anyone has current 991 vs 997 sales figures, please bring them to the discussion. I am otherwise inclined to side with Palmbeacher's "anecdotal" observations. I may have seen a 991 a few weeks ago in downtown Houston, but it might have been a Panamera. Only saw the front end from a distance....
Old 07-02-2012, 11:49 PM
Palmbeacher
Banned

See the link below for 911 monthly sales figures for 2010-2011 and through May 2112 for the U.S. and Canada, as well as yearly U.S. 911 sales numbers back through 2002. This is one month more current than the numbers I posted
Nice try Mike, but I see nothing there to support your assumption that all those 2012 sales are 991s. The site makes no mention of MY13 nor a breakdown of 2012 sales between 991 and ledtover 997.2s. It also fails to give a breakdown by state or region. So given the vaguery of your data I can't accept it as valid proof of your assertion that the 991 is selling well. And even if it were, it still does not explain the dearth of 991s on the road here in the ackowledged #2 largest Porsche market in the US.

Quick Reply: Drove a brand new 991S and 997GTS