Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 03:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,028 Likes on 730 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
It will take my multi- page article to finally make people understand the dynamics of this failure.

snip....

Being worn and loosened up is one way that most engines dodge the bullet when operated in cold climates.
So a short version of the story is that low mileage cars that have spent most of their lives in cold climate are at increased risk?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:36 AM
wwilliams88
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 148 Posts

Glad mine is living it's life in Florida then and I use it as a DD.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:21 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, not broken in. Well beyond break in, at 20-45K miles, generally.

Being alarmed saves engines. I am only sharing what we see and what we've seen explode in terms of failures in the past 4 months after one of the toughest winters on record. Most of the cars that fail are C4s? Why? Because they perform very well in the snow and ice and are often driven more than any C2 would be in those conditions.
I don't understand why?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:03 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by beden1
I don't understand why?
Because more C4s are being driven in winter - more cold starts, more of those cars encountering problems.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:05 PM
tigerspill
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there really a difference between 0 and say 20 degrees in terms of cold start given the thin oils these days? I would have thought it doesn't make that much difference.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
One911
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by tigerspill
Is there really a difference between 0 and say 20 degrees in terms of cold start given the thin oils these days? I would have thought it doesn't make that much difference.
I think the case being made here isn't about oil viscosity.

They are stating that because the 9a1 engine has very close tolerances, extreme cold causes the engine to contract and in those few moments it can damage the engine?
Old 06-13-2014, 05:51 PM
beden1
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by One911
I think the case being made here isn't about oil viscosity.

They are stating that because the 9a1 engine has very close tolerances, extreme cold causes the engine to contract and in those few moments it can damage the engine?
Instead of trying to interpret what Flat6 Innovations means, maybe he can clarify his statement.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,536 Likes on 925 Posts

I drove me 2009 C2S virtually every day this awful winter with the car parked OUTSIDE. Yep, I am an abuser....

What I found, is that I am using less and less oil as the car ages. 57K miles now.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 02-12-2015, 05:47 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

I thought to add my own investigation and conclusions... this was a very early investigation about Porsche‘s 9A1 engine (not the DFI version mind you):

The secret behind the exhaust smoke upon startup 2.9L Caymans - An inconvenient truth
Old 02-12-2015, 05:53 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
I thought to add my own investigation and conclusions... this was a very early investigation about Porsche‘s 9A1 engine (not the DFI version mind you):

The secret behind the exhaust smoke upon startup 2.9L Caymans - An inconvenient truth
I thought the 9A1 was DFI.
Old 02-13-2015, 02:22 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
I thought the 9A1 was DFI.
I believe the 9A1 first introduced in the Boxster/Caymann base engines had port injectors, while the larger engines had direct injectors.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:31 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower

So how about a "Cliff Notes" version of your investigation and conclusions for those of us not willing to read volumes of messages. Thanks.
Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by Fahrer
I believe the 9A1 first introduced in the Boxster/Caymann base engines had port injectors, while the larger engines had direct injectors.
Precisely!

And, although high pressure fuel pump issues and the DFI system itself when running overly rich could potentially lead to fuel intrusion and cylinder wall 'wash' (see picture below) with bore scoring being the end result, which would match the cold weather theory nicely since with cold temperatures the engine tend to run with richer air/fuel mixture, my experience with the 987.2 Cayman was different and all came down to Porsche's poor quality control!

So, the major conclusion is: if bore scoring exists independently of its cause you'll see smoke (withish with a blue haze) from the tail pipe upon startup. Moreover, since the 911 has independent exhaust flow paths one can clearly determine which cylinder bank is affected. That would be the one that smokes.

Looking at this picture and if the 'cold weather theory' is correct I would expect that bank 1 (cylinders #1,2 and 3) would be the most affected since the fuel injector points downwards directly to bank 1's cylinders thrust side, where most of the force is exerted by the piston on its power stroke (one would occasionally see smoke upon startup from the left tailpipes when looking from the rear end of the car - cylinder bank 1):

I think Flat6 Innovations can chime in and tell us which cylinders are the most affected. I have just found this:

It's hard to work out where the value is in telling the story. In other words, with no real explanation of what caused the problem I can't relay information that would help others.

The car is my C2S 2008 and had done just under 16k when I bought it. A month and about 1,000 miles later the engine was in trouble. When it 'happened' the car flashed up a warning and told me to drive it to the workshop. The drive had been unremarkable up to then.

I felt it.was using more oil than my 996s had; needed a litre in 1,000 miles. Indeed our 997 C4S hasn't needed any in similar mileage.

I got it recovered to the OPC and they boroscoped it. Cylinder 3 showed some heavy scoring. Once it was dismantled you could see matching scoring on both sides of the corresponding piston. The five remaining bores looked perfect.

I didn't see much evidence of other afflicted cars when Googling. But given 90% of the people that own these probably don't go near Internet forums, I'm not sure what that proves.

I skipped Gen 1 997 in the hope of avoiding engine woes. Hopefully the C4S will be fine and I'll be half right.

Last edited by CaymanPower; 02-15-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:17 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

I think Flat6 Innovations can shime in and tell us which cylinders are the most affected.
As a developer who shared what he learned, in a forward and direct manner with the M96/ M97 engines, I caught a lot of flack. Terms like "fear monger" didn't sit well with me.

My last 5 years have been spent researching and developing the 9a1 engines, both DI and port injected. With these I am not making the same mistakes that I made with the M96/97 engines, and sharing what I've learned online. People don't want to hear the truth, they just want to believe that its all Unicorns and rainbows in the mechanical workings within their engines. Most of them don't even believe problems can occur when their own engine snaps a timing chain and blows it through the cam cover; they certainly won't believe anything thats written.

There's a reason why we bought a new car in early 2010 and took the engine apart straight away. My record is pulling a 9a1 apart with 11 miles on the odometer.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 AM
CaymanPower
Racer

As a developer who shared what he learned, in a forward and direct manner with the M96/ M97 engines, I caught a lot of flack. Terms like "fear monger" didn't sit well with me.

My last 5 years have been spent researching and developing the 9a1 engines, both DI and port injected. With these I am not making the same mistakes that I made with the M96/97 engines, and sharing what I've learned online. People don't want to hear the truth, they just want to believe that its all Unicorns and rainbows in the mechanical workings within their engines. Most of them don't even believe problems can occur when their own engine snaps a timing chain and blows it through the cam cover; they certainly won't believe anything thats written.

There's a reason why we bought a new car in early 2010 and took the engine apart straight away. My record is pulling a 9a1 apart with 11 miles on the odometer.

Can you please at least tell us what in your experience are the most affected cylinders?

Last edited by CaymanPower; 02-15-2015 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability