Sponsored by:

997.2 Engine Reliability

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Based on this you can throw the whole dyno deal out the window.
That's the reason why engine/car manufacturers use engine dynos.
Old 02-17-2015, 04:56 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Received 179 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanPower
Because the dyno behavior is different for 2 and 4 wheel drive cars. Because the transmission losses are different from car to car. Because the simple fact of varying the tension with which the car is hold steady on the dyno leads to different dyno results and so on...
The other car was a C4S hence all wheel drive also. And the runs were back to back, so the same ambient temperature conditions . And no I'm not removing my engine to make a more accurate dyno comparison
Old 02-17-2015, 06:06 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 820 Posts

When worried about a specific motor, ideally you would have readings for that motor at intervals of every 10K miles or something like that. There are a lot of variables to pin down when comparing two different cars. Especially when one car had been modded and was different to begin with.

The best you can do is look at manufacturer's WBHP when new and look at the delta. The other car is a red herring.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:18 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

Because the dyno behavior is different for 2 and 4 wheel drive cars. Because the transmission losses are different from car to car. Because the simple fact of varying the tension with which the car is hold steady on the dyno leads to different dyno results and so on...
Okay, here's the deal. Transmission losses matter, yes. But both cars here were C4 models, so I wouldn't anticipate much of a material testing difference. Tension on dyno... not going to have a material difference.

There are factors that will impact dyno readings but doubtful between the .1 and .2 variants of C4 Porsches... are they going to be material. Anything that understates power in a dyno reading should affect both cars approximately the same.

I think the outcome (which, again, is what we might expect given the same starting figures) does much to prove the relevancy of the test. Drivetrain losses will not be dramatically different here. Engine cooling / engine management might have an effect (dyno testing vs. live testing on a road) but again, I imagine would impact both similarly.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:30 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
When worried about a specific motor, ideally you would have readings for that motor at intervals of every 10K miles or something like that. There are a lot of variables to pin down when comparing two different cars. Especially when one car had been modded and was different to begin with.

The best you can do is look at manufacturer's WBHP when new and look at the delta. The other car is a red herring.
No such thing as "WBHP". It is either brake horsepower (BHP) or wheel horsepower (WHP) or just the general term "HP".

Unfortunately, unless you test yourself, looking at the mfr numbers won't help you. Porsche AFAIK (but backed by examples of independent tests) tends to understate the BHP figures for their cars. Plus, manufacturing variance will result in slightly different outputs between engines, so there is little benefit for determining power loss by looking at the mfr figures.

I agree that comparing against the other car doesn't do a lot for showing horsepower loss, but it does say something... that relative to a newer motor, on a car that should have a certain amount greater HP when new, this car with more miles on it is showing similar power applied through to the wheels. Given the very similar layouts of the cars, and (from what I have seen) similar drivetrain losses, and that both are C4 variants, it suggests that A) the 997.2 car had more power originally than stated, B) the 997.2 car has maintained its power output over the miles or C) the 997.1 car, with fewer miles, has lost more power vs. its stated power, or its mods have hurts its power output.

The most likely answer is that the information shows that B is correct... and as far as info goes (assuming corroborated roughly by performance) this seems the most plausible outcome. It's harder to tell down to the HP through timing 0-60 runs given driver or measurement error, so this seems like a decent data point to me and much, much better than "seat of pants" measurement...
Old 02-17-2015, 06:44 PM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

Looking forward to having more higher mileage .2 owners post their ownership experiences !
Old 02-17-2015, 06:54 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Originally Posted by z3mcoupe
The other car was a C4S hence all wheel drive also. And the runs were back to back, so the same ambient temperature conditions . And no I'm not removing my engine to make a more accurate dyno comparison
Please don't!

Let me put it this way, if you had dyno tested your car when it had 10k miles and recorded all the relevant test conditions and you were able to perfectly reproduce it today, which you are not, then the same dyno test of your car at 90k miles or so could only give you a measure of the engine reliability as long as the gearbox, transmission shafts, differentials, drive shafts and all the gears in between were as good as they were at 10k miles... let alone when compared to a different car.
Old 02-17-2015, 06:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD

No such thing as "WBHP". It is either brake horsepower (BHP) or wheel horsepower (WHP) or just the general term "HP".

Unfortunately, unless you test yourself, looking at the mfr numbers won't help you. Porsche AFAIK (but backed by examples of independent tests) tends to understate the BHP figures for their cars. Plus, manufacturing variance will result in slightly different outputs between engines, so there is little benefit for determining power loss by looking at the mfr figures.

I agree that comparing against the other car doesn't do a lot for showing horsepower loss, but it does say something... that relative to a newer motor, on a car that should have a certain amount greater HP when new, this car with more miles on it is showing similar power applied through to the wheels. Given the very similar layouts of the cars, and (from what I have seen) similar drivetrain losses, and that both are C4 variants, it suggests that A) the 997.2 car had more power originally than stated, B) the 997.2 car has maintained its power output over the miles or C) the 997.1 car, with fewer miles, has lost more power vs. its stated power, or its mods have hurts its power output.

The most likely answer is that the information shows that B is correct... and as far as info goes (assuming corroborated roughly by performance) this seems the most plausible outcome. It's harder to tell down to the HP through timing 0-60 runs given driver or measurement error, so this seems like a decent data point to me and much, much better than "seat of pants" measurement...
Sorry, typo via my phone pad on the WBHP. Not sure how I did this, but thanks for correcting me. I agree with B as well. Personal interests make B a lot nicer! But the data also supports that conclusion.

Nicely written.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:13 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Looking forward to having more higher mileage .2 owners post their ownership experiences !
So, why do you want to sell yours?
Old 02-17-2015, 10:12 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
In the case of Porsche failures we have very little data to make any kind of a judgement. And I don't believe any of us (anyone, period?) is in a position to know failure rates or how to convert this to a rough term like reliability. We have trouble even knowing how many cars are in operation. And a lot of these cars get very little use. How many annual miles do Porsches in total see? How are they driven? How are they maintained?...
I agree. Only PAG knows its engine reliability stats. Internet forums blow out of proportion engine failures and that is misinterpreted. Bad too because it is not based on statistically significant data. I think that is affecting M96/M97 engined cars' values. The current effort to badmouth the 9A1 engine is telling and worrisome, when actual owner experience has been stellar, in spite of bad news sympathetic Internet broadcasting channels.
Old 02-18-2015, 12:07 AM
z3mcoupe
Rennlist Member

So, why do you want to sell yours?
Its all here buddy
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post12048556
Old 02-18-2015, 04:23 PM
CaymanPower
Racer

Oh, I see.

Any signs of smoke upon startup, loud ticking or rev hesitation with any of the rides?
Old 02-18-2015, 05:14 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 400 Likes on 273 Posts

Oh, I see.

Any signs of smoke upon startup, loud ticking or rev hesitation with any of the rides?
All flat 6s can smoke on startup. Not a thick blue cloud of smoke mind you. Not an issue.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:31 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ADias

All flat 6s can smoke on startup. Not a thick blue cloud of smoke mind you. Not an issue.
Oil is on the cylinder walls (bottom side) when the motor stops, car is angled to the side, oil runs to the rings, metal parts cool, oil gets to the combustion chamber, ...
Old 02-18-2015, 05:35 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ADias
I agree. Only PAG knows its engine reliability stats. Internet forums blow out of proportion engine failures and that is misinterpreted. Bad too because it is not based on statistically significant data. I think that is affecting M96/M97 engined cars' values. The current effort to badmouth the 9A1 engine is telling and worrisome, when actual owner experience has been stellar, in spite of bad news sympathetic Internet broadcasting channels.
I think this thread just confirms how reliable the 9A1 engine is. Anyone with bad experiences would already be all over this.

I do think that the IMS issue was and remains a real problem, at least for early 997.1 cars -- the failure rate was statistically significant and at least mildly brand-damaging.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Engine Reliability