Sponsored by:

I hate brake dust- any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 10:55 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts
Default I hate brake dust- any tips?

I thought black wheels would hide the black dust but it just looks worse. And the CL wheels are a PITA to clean. Any ideas? I searched for low dust brake pads and can't find any. I'm thinking of painting them silver. Anyone want to trade for PCCB's (+ a lot of cash)?
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Keep the inner barrels waxed. I use Rejex (we sell it), and I treat the wheels about every 3 months. Helps.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Keep the inner barrels waxed. I use Rejex (we sell it), and I treat the wheels about every 3 months. Helps.
Seriously, the inner barrels (is that the part of the wheel behind the brakes?). I just spent 1 1/2 hrs cleaning and polishing the OUTSIDE of the wheel that shows then used Rejex (that I bought from you-thanks Eric). The inside of the wheels are real dirty- is that contributing to the brake dust? If I have to clean and wax the inside too, I'm going to... I don't know, sell it and get a 991 with PCCB's. Help.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:11 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 204 Posts

Drive the car. Relax. It's awesome looking.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:21 PM
JW911
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 182 Posts

So you want to move to silver wheels so you won't see the black brake dust???

Are you nuts???

Black wheels (I have them) hide the black dust. Silver wheels capture the dust and highlight it!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:43 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Seriously, the inner barrels (is that the part of the wheel behind the brakes?). I just spent 1 1/2 hrs cleaning and polishing the OUTSIDE of the wheel that shows then used Rejex (that I bought from you-thanks Eric). The inside of the wheels are real dirty- is that contributing to the brake dust? If I have to clean and wax the inside too, I'm going to... I don't know, sell it and get a 991 with PCCB's. Help.
If you make me a smokin' deal, I'll take that "dirty girl" off your hands!

OK, seriously, my 2010 C2s brakes spew a lot more dust than my '04 C2 brakes ever did. It is so bad that I am considering painting my wheels Meteor Gray to match the body paint.

I just got a wheel washing tool that I think will work well and may help you out too. I haven't used it yet, but I will this weekend. If it works well, I will post back here and let you know what it is.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:44 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JW911
So you want to move to silver wheels so you won't see the black brake dust???

Are you nuts???

Black wheels (I have them) hide the black dust. Silver wheels capture the dust and highlight it!
I thought so too. But a silver or white car stays looking cleaner longer. A black car looks great when clean but gets dirty much faster than a lighter colored car. Maybe it's the gloss black- flat black would hide the dust better.

And yes, I'm nuts.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:57 PM
DLennox
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, the brake dust is a PITA on the black cl wheels on the GTS. I've waxed mine, but that just makes clean up easier. To just freshen up the wheels, I use an air compressor and blow out the wheels. It is amazing the cloud of dust that comes out of the rotors when you hit them with the air gun.
For cleaning, I use Griots wheel cleaner and blow dry the wheels before finishing them up with speed shine and a micro fiber cloth. I haven't used rejex, so I can't speak to that, I use Wheel Wax and that does a nice job for me.
Contrary to what some think, the brake dust seems to show up more against the black wheels than it did against the gray wheels I had on my Boxster. It's a lot of work, but I love cleaning my GTS and in the end it's all worth it.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:29 AM
aras314
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

''There will always be dirt'' Pig-pen
You could was it and leave it in you garage that works great I haven't seen any since I stored it for the winter.

But I really wish I did. I miss driving that car.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:44 AM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
Keep the inner barrels waxed. I use Rejex, and I treat the wheels about every 3 months. It helps.
This is what I have done and the difference is amazing. You can spray the dust off if you have treated the wheels inside and out with Rejex. I just implemented this solution on my car and I am kicking myself for waiting so long!
Old 12-10-2011, 10:22 AM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
I thought black wheels would hide the black dust but it just looks worse. And the CL wheels are a PITA to clean. Any ideas? I searched for low dust brake pads and can't find any. I'm thinking of painting them silver. Anyone want to trade for PCCB's (+ a lot of cash)?
Avoid looking at the wheels when you walk up the car.

Otherwise about all you can do is clean the wheels, and wax them, so the brake dust is less likely to stick and is easier to remove the next time.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:39 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nothing worse than dirty wheels.
Keep 'em waxed, and clean 'em every 75-100 miles.
If you don't let them get away from you, cleaning is pretty easy. Maybe 10 minutes a wheel.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:47 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

I have a nice set of sport designs for sale from my 09S : >)
Old 12-10-2011, 10:51 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

RejeX wax. I buy 6 bottles at a time from Eric. Blow dry wheels after washing (soap and water only, no wheel cleaners) with leaf blower. Couple times per driving season (and always before winter hibernation) I pull the wheels off the car for extra access to the barrels.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Skibum
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick tip: Anytime you get your rotors wet, plan on cleaning the barrels again 5 miles down the road.
I schedule times when I want to get the rotors wet, and make sure I blast the holes well to get as much crud out of them as possible. Other times, because I don't let the dirt buildup I use a spray bottle with dilute car wash mix and towels and then I hit the barrels only.

Quick Reply: I hate brake dust- any tips?