Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I hate brake dust- any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:12 AM
Fin Fever
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe you could order PTS wheels that are precisely color matched to the brake dust.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:44 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

As a long time Porsche owner I recognized that they changed the brake media several years ago to the point that they create a heck of a lot more dust than they did in the 1980s. (Something about the removal of asbestos). Only the more sophisticated PCCBs are capable of reducing your dust production significantly. Even "ceramic pads" don't really help. Knowing this, I ordered my car with the PCCBs--life is too short to be cleaning wheels.
Old 12-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911
If you make me a smokin' deal, I'll take that "dirty girl" off your hands!

OK, seriously, my 2010 C2s brakes spew a lot more dust than my '04 C2 brakes ever did. It is so bad that I am considering painting my wheels Meteor Gray to match the body paint.

I just got a wheel washing tool that I think will work well and may help you out too. I haven't used it yet, but I will this weekend. If it works well, I will post back here and let you know what it is.
Tell me about this wheel washing tool. It's hard to get to the inside of the wheels to clean and wax them.

I'd take them off to do it but they are the centerlock wheels.

My previous Porsches, except the Spyder had PCCB's but I thought, hey black wheels, the dust won't show.

I know I'm too ****. With the white car, it stays or at least looks clean for weeks. The gloss black wheels look clean for a day or 2. Something about the rust colored brake dust on a glossy black wheel that looks terrible.

Last night I cleaned and waxed (Rejex) the outside of the wheels. Today I dropped off some prints to be mounted, all highway, touched the brakes maybe 6 times, come home and the shinny black wheels are covered with rust dust blotches like a pimple faced teen. Obviously coming from the caked on dust from the inside barrel (and they are huge barrels). Looks like today I'm cleaning and waxing the inside of the wheels, then leaf blower, compressor, etc. to keep them clean. As I said before, I know I'm nuts.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:15 PM
07Carrera
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's the most fantastic solution to the brake dust problem: Armorall Wheel Protectant.
It is not a hard "paint". but forms a clear protective barrier. I use it every time I wash
my 997 and it works.

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...FcVgTAodm1nETQ

Kirby C.
Rice Lake, WI
Old 12-10-2011, 02:57 PM
997_rich
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Matte black (or dark metallic) wheels.. maybe get matte black centers and silver edges. that's about as good as you're going to get for hiding the brake dust.

07 carrera- that avatar photo is incredible.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Carrera
Here's the most fantastic solution to the brake dust problem: Armorall Wheel Protectant.
It is not a hard "paint". but forms a clear protective barrier. I use it every time I wash
my 997 and it works.

As a concours freak, I hate the brake dust too and wash my rims between car washes. I agree about the rusting rotors making you have to reclean the rims after 5 miles.

Kirby, thanks for the Armor All product tip. That's on my list the next time I hitch up the horses to the wagon and head into town.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:32 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my 997 and it works.

Kirby C.
Rice Lake, WI
Thanks, I am willing to give it a try.

Regards,

Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 AM
Carrera Jack
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carcam, I guess you are just as **** as I'm. I couldn't stand the brake dust covering up my plantinum silver rim (original painted). It is actually worse on the silver rim since the black brake dust shows obviously. Amazingly, it shows up just 10 mile drive after I wash the rims. I do wash my car every week and rarely drive on raining day. It still shows no matter how much cleaning. I have bought several tools like Daytona wheel brushn and wheel cleaner brushes from Wal-mart, they all help to clean the wheels efficiently, but just can't maintain that cleaness. I also used Zaino and Zymol to seal and bring out the shine, still it just gets darken by the brake dust just after 10 mile.

Some said that PCCB would definitly reduced the amount of brake dust and some says that simply change the brake pad to better one would help too. I'm pondering about PCCB but concerned about the "icy" effect, so I'm thinking two options...
1. Movit Ceramic brake system
2. Better brake pads

I just recently changed my front brake pads, it definitely reduced the amount of dust, but still there are some (probably after 20 miles)....

I guess my only option is to chagned it to Cermaic brake system...

Hope this help.
Old 12-11-2011, 11:35 AM
McCulla
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I posted a few months back on this Armor All product. I'm a skeptic on all of these "snake oil" type things, but this stuff works, period. There are some hoops to jump through (shake well/dry wheels/over 60 degrees/let it dry 2 hours/some will run down onto the bottom of the tire and need a little new tire dressing application after drying), but wow, it really helps with my regular finish wheels. Do as the directions say and I'd be interested to hear how your results are. It's sort of pricey ($8-9/bottle) but I have to have it now. Good luck!
A word of caution: one of the competitors (I can't remember the name, but it gets advertised for the same use) is NOT the same. It forms almost a varnish which binds the brake dust and I've had to use tar/sap remover to get it off. Might be Eagle One...but is advertised as a brake dust preventer. The other bad thing is that this "bad" stuff comes in a pump bottle and is impossible to control. It gets on everything, like glue on your paint! The Armor All comes out almost like a fog and is easier to place. It washes off and if I get some on the paint, I just use detailer spray and wipe off the excess.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:57 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Originally Posted by Carrera Jack
2. Better brake pads
Keep in mind, the cheaper and less effective brake pads give off less dust. Porsche brakes are designed to scrub off speed better than most any other brand of car, so the offset is a boat load of brake dust on the rims.

I bought the Armor All product today at Wal-Mart for a bit over $6 for a bottle. I'll be applying it today when the 997 gets the full detail (it's in the 40's in WI!!!).
Old 12-11-2011, 08:08 PM
07Carrera
Intermediate

Received 24 Likes on 5 Posts

977_Rich,
Here's a better shot of my avatar. This was my new 1971 911E in the fall of 1971 The photo was taken with a Polaroid camera at my mom's home in Cumberland, WI. I was home on vacation from Virginia.

Kirby C.
Rice Lake, WI
2007 997 Silver Coupe
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:16 PM
Jay H
Drifting

This was my new 1971 911E in the fall of 1971
Kirby,

I agree that the shot above is incredible. So, how was the 'E' in the WI snow?

Back on topic, I've applied the Armor All product to my 997's rims. I'll report back on how it does this week.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
Tell me about this wheel washing tool. It's hard to get to the inside of the wheels to clean and wax them.

I'd take them off to do it but they are the centerlock wheels.

OK, I used the wheel cleaning tool today. I have to say it worked quite well. It is called a Buffer Stick and comes with three micro firer bonnets. It is available at both AutoGeek.net and Autopia. Here is a link to the AutoGeek site which also has a short "How to" video so you can see how it works. == > Bufferstick tool

The video states that you can used it to apply was/sealant. I tried that but found it easier to apply the sealant with the usual wax/sealant applicator. However, it works very well for removing the sealant after it has dried. I wish the "stick" was longer so it would reach completely to the inside edge of the wheel.
Attached Images  
Old 12-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

I bought the big brush from Auto Geek (Daytona Speed Master), and just used it on our new '12 A8L Audi w/twin spokes. I spray P21S wheel gel in before cleaning the car, then come back with regular pressure on the hose and then start the wheel cleaning (car is brand new).

The big brush gets em clean, but damn, that thing splatters like hell when you pull it out from the spokes, and my clothes were covered in brake dust splatter (and are now ruined). Ok, just a t-shirt, but still, that crap was flying all in my face, arms, body, etc. It's probably better designed for large opening wheels.

I'll probably go back to the Griot's long handled sponge for a while. I did get some cool microfiber gloves that I used to Rejex the wheels - made that process a bit easier.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 12-11-2011, 09:50 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I bought the big brush from Auto Geek (Daytona Speed Master), and just used it on our new '12 A8L Audi w/twin spokes. I spray P21S wheel gel in before cleaning the car, then come back with regular pressure on the hose and then start the wheel cleaning (car is brand new).

The big brush gets em clean, but damn, that thing splatters like hell when you pull it out from the spokes, and my clothes were covered in brake dust splatter (and are now ruined). Ok, just a t-shirt, but still, that crap was flying all in my face, arms, body, etc. It's probably better designed for large opening wheels.

I'll probably go back to the Griot's long handled sponge for a while. I did get some cool microfiber gloves that I used to Rejex the wheels - made that process a bit easier.
It should be renamed the splatter master. I have learned to wear a sacrificial tee shirt when I wash the rims. I just got the wheel woolies but since it's been raining quite a bit here I have not used them.

Quick Reply: I hate brake dust- any tips?