Sponsored by:

I hate brake dust- any tips?

Old 12-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 07Carrera
Here's the most fantastic solution to the brake dust problem: Armorall Wheel Protectant.
It is not a hard "paint". but forms a clear protective barrier. I use it every time I wash
my 997 and it works.

http://www.armorall.com/products/vie...FcVgTAodm1nETQ

Kirby C.
Rice Lake, WI
Looking forward to trying that product too, thanks
Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 AM
_Nathan
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 07Carrera
...This was my new 1971 911E in the fall of 1971...
I would have guessed early 70's just from the mustache.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric - Plug Guy
I bought the big brush from Auto Geek (Daytona Speed Master), and just used it on our new '12 A8L Audi w/twin spokes. I spray P21S wheel gel in before cleaning the car, then come back with regular pressure on the hose and then start the wheel cleaning (car is brand new).

The big brush gets em clean, but damn, that thing splatters like hell when you pull it out from the spokes, and my clothes were covered in brake dust splatter (and are now ruined). Ok, just a t-shirt, but still, that crap was flying all in my face, arms, body, etc. It's probably better designed for large opening wheels.

I'll probably go back to the Griot's long handled sponge for a while. I did get some cool microfiber gloves that I used to Rejex the wheels - made that process a bit easier.
Eric,

Three weeks ago I bought the same brushes from Autogeek. I got the large and small brushes. Yes, they splatter a lot. If your wheels have a lot of brake dust, the brushes will NOT get all of the tough stuff because the bristles are too long and too soft. I think those brushed are way over rated. I threw mine in the garbage the day after I used them for the first time.

I put a product review on Autogeek web site and rated it a 1 Star out of a possible 5 Stars. After two days passed, my review never appeared, so I wrote a second review with a 1 Star rating. Again my review it didn't appear. I wrote another review on a different and rated it a 5 Stars and that review was posted the same day. I am surmising that Autogeek is selectively filtering their product reviews and allowing only the positive reviews on their web site.

Because their site apparently shows only the positive reviews, you can't really get the "real" feedback from everyone who posted a review. I have purchased all of my products from Autogeek over the last 8 years. However, I will not be purchasing any more products from Autogeek in the future.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:34 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

"nuts" ? I am getting to the point I don't want to step on the brake when I drive. There is another discussion describing dust less pads in this forum. I will have to look it up.
Old 12-12-2011, 05:41 AM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

It's this or I'm going to need a shrink. They are about $130 per hour also, coincidence?
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/show...ust+brake+pads
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM
CW-VIESOCK
Skunk Whisperer
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Nothing worse than dirty wheels.
Keep 'em waxed, and clean 'em every 75-100 miles.
If you don't let them get away from you, cleaning is pretty easy. Maybe 10 minutes a wheel.
So, let me get this str8. Every 100 miles of my 800 mile trip I need to spend 40 minutes cleaning my wheels? Gonna be a long trip Chicago tomorrow.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:06 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Take the Freightshaker!
Old 12-12-2011, 05:28 PM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by CWRS60Spyder
So, let me get this str8. Every 100 miles of my 800 mile trip I need to spend 40 minutes cleaning my wheels? Gonna be a long trip Chicago tomorrow.
If you are IN the car and driving you cannot see the dirt.
I was more thinking of around town stop and go.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Am I the only one who actually thinks the break dust looks good and makes the car look meaner and well "used"? I love the look of dirty, blackened front wheels. Of course I also like my car clean, and am **** when it comes to cleaning it, especially keeping the interior pristine. But those wheels, oh man, they just look so awesome when dirty and black.

My advice: enjoy the car. A dirty Carrera is better, and looks better, than any other clean car on the road you will encounter.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:41 PM
DHC
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

A key factor in my wheel preference is "ease of cleaning." Not sure how you guys deal with all those spokes, which would drive me batty.

Like the recurring theme of waxing the wheels to allow water spray to get most of the grime off. After all, the wheel finish is regular paint, right?
Old 12-12-2011, 06:51 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm pretty much convinced it's just something you have to live with. I bought a second set of Carrera sport wheels for my GTS, the orignals are black, and just change them out when I want a contrasting look on my black car or I'm too lazy to clean the inner hubs. Cleaning the outside only takes about 10 minutes or so, so it's kind of a wax on, wax off distraction until I do a changeout. That lets me clean inside the wheel wells and check suspension components too.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:45 AM
Skibum
Banned

Originally Posted by Mbiondo
Am I the only one who actually thinks the break dust looks good and makes the car look meaner and well "used"? I love the look of dirty, blackened front wheels.
Yes....
Old 12-13-2011, 06:38 PM
Mbiondo
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Skibum
Yes....
Oh, come on. It can't be. I see many 911's on the road with dirty wheels. All those who agree with me must not be members of this forum. There has got to be another forum out there where people love both 911's and dirty rims.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:43 PM
alexstjo
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know what you mean with Auto gek. I purchase all my stuff from http://www.glisteningperfectionstore.com the owners name is Moe. If you have any questions you can call and talk to him. He truly is a good guy and will answer any detailing question for you. He has helped me save $$ with DYI info. If you talk to him tell him Alex from Murrieta told you about him.

Originally Posted by gota911
Eric,

Three weeks ago I bought the same brushes from Autogeek. I got the large and small brushes. Yes, they splatter a lot. If your wheels have a lot of brake dust, the brushes will NOT get all of the tough stuff because the bristles are too long and too soft. I think those brushed are way over rated. I threw mine in the garbage the day after I used them for the first time.

I put a product review on Autogeek web site and rated it a 1 Star out of a possible 5 Stars. After two days passed, my review never appeared, so I wrote a second review with a 1 Star rating. Again my review it didn't appear. I wrote another review on a different and rated it a 5 Stars and that review was posted the same day. I am surmising that Autogeek is selectively filtering their product reviews and allowing only the positive reviews on their web site.

Because their site apparently shows only the positive reviews, you can't really get the "real" feedback from everyone who posted a review. I have purchased all of my products from Autogeek over the last 8 years. However, I will not be purchasing any more products from Autogeek in the future.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:14 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by MICHAELWWW
It's this or I'm going to need a shrink. They are about $130 per hour also, coincidence?
https://rennlist.com/rennforums/show...ust+brake+pads
Michael- that link doesn't work and I'd love to see what it says. Any hints?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I hate brake dust- any tips?