Sponsored by:

What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2014, 07:01 PM
targaC4S
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mwolfe
I've been stalking Rennlist for quite a while. I finally dove in and bought by 1st 911 (997.1)

My new-to-me '08 Targa 4S went in for a clear bra today. I just have to put up with the Honda Civic rental for a couple days until I can pick it up.

I followed everyone's advice whenever I read a new Rennlist member post--Clear side markers DONE! what a difference.

I'll get pictures up ASAP.
I have the same car. Mind sharing options and what you paid?
Old 03-27-2014, 07:33 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Phil did you get the oem or the aftermarket? The aftermarket one in my opinion is good enough considering the price of $30 vs oem. You wont know the diff. I have been using the aftermarket key and keeping the oem housing just to preserve it and am very happy, and my car is a 997.2. Just sharing if others also intend to do this mod, which for 997.1 owners i really a good one. Iv seen busted up .1 keys.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:42 PM
PhilD
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slicky rick
Phil did you get the oem or the aftermarket
I bought the aftermarket ones, $20 each. They appear to be well made and work just fine. For $20 a piece it was a no brainer which ones to get. Everything transfers over real easy, apart from the transponder coil which was a pain to get out of the old key. Still only took 30 minutes to do both keys.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:03 PM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

Good job bro..i thought those $150 oem ones were a waste of money.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:54 PM
PhilD
Pro

Added the Maxspeed LED side markers. Kind of look like they belong on Vette or Camaro to me, haven't made my mind up on them yet, but do prefer them to my old clear markers though.
Attached Images    
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

very nice. now is it the same air bag or will that need to be swapped?

Originally Posted by BrakingBad
The standard PDK wheel (R&L push-pull type buttons only. Not heated. No stereo or phone buttons). You can just make it out here...

Old 03-29-2014, 06:20 PM
BrakingBad
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
very nice. now is it the same air bag or will that need to be swapped?
The old air bag will fit the new wheel.
Old 03-29-2014, 09:38 PM
gsruff
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gsruff
Removed the driver's side door panel using this excellent DIY and verified that the problem with my floppy door handle was the same discussed in this thread.

Ordered the replacement parts along with replacement door trim panel clips since a few broke when I removed the door panel. I highly recommend using a trim removal tool.
Replaced the broken door handle spring/weight assembly and door handle bowden cable with their updated parts (part #s 99755538103 and 99753731903). The end of the bowden cable that attaches to the lock mechanism near the exterior door handle was a bitch to get to. Ended up unbolting the lock mechanism from the side of the door and wiggling to close enough toward the center of the door to see what I was doing. Hooking the new cable in place was like performing laparoscopic surgery. This article was helpful: http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...nd_Handles.htm

Got it all back together and the interior door handle is like new again!
Old 03-30-2014, 12:36 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilD
Added the Maxspeed LED side markers. Kind of look like they belong on Vette or Camaro to me, haven't made my mind up on them yet, but do prefer them to my old clear markers though.
A bit robotic looking IMO. I agree, on an American car they'd work. The p-car needs more elegant lines.

IMO. Your millage may vary. $88 down does not include Montero Sport or Eclipse Spider. Member FDIC. Call you doctor at the first sign of stroke. Contains peanut ingredients.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:07 AM
slicky rick
Rennlist Member

same here phil…prefer the old ones. but of course if it makes you happy..that is all that matters.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:27 AM
Chrono
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

But the CONDITION of Phil's car. My god. Even the truck is gleaming. What do you use on your tires, Phil?
Old 03-30-2014, 03:10 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 533 Likes on 318 Posts

have to agree, and i am a fan of phil's car. they are a little too much imo.

Originally Posted by Chrono
A bit robotic looking IMO. I agree, on an American car they'd work. The p-car needs more elegant lines.

IMO. Your millage may vary. $88 down does not include Montero Sport or Eclipse Spider. Member FDIC. Call you doctor at the first sign of stroke. Contains peanut ingredients.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:49 PM
PhilD
Pro

Yeah, the best thing I can say about them is that they are different :-) I liked the idea of adding some black to the sides as the the red really looks like a slab of color with the black rims, but not sure they work that well.
Old 03-30-2014, 03:53 PM
PhilD
Pro

What do you use on your tires, Phil?
I use a product called Dream Gleam from State Chemical. I like it because it lasts well, is not overly glossy, and does not leave a sticky residue.
Old 03-30-2014, 05:53 PM
megsfolks
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Installed the ZunSport mesh grill guards today.

Spectacular design makes an insanely easy installation-20 minutes and no bumper removal. I would say that the design allows for easy removal of the grills (especially the top ones) if needed for cleaning.

I was going the DIY route, but in the end decided to try these. I dont mind paying for something engineered this well and the communications and delivery from ZunSport was world class. No regrets...only smiles!

I added some pictures below... Note that some of the picutrs have exposure and contrast adjusted to make the detail more apparent since i installed the black grills on my black 997
Attached Images      

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?