997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken Door Handle Not Covered By CPO??

Old 11-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Door Handle Not Covered By CPO??

Last Friday, I pulled up to my house, pulled on the driver's side door handle to open the door, and there was a loud "SNAP"! Something broke and the door handle sort of flops around a bit and no longer returns to its snug position in the door handle assembly.

My car is a CPO'd 2006 S-Coupe with 40,000 miles. The car's "original" warranty expired in August, and I'm now on the extended portion of the warranty.

The dealer says the part isn't covered under the CPO warranty and it will cost $250 to fix. Can this really be true? I mean, c'mon, we're not talking about some trim piece falling off of the car, but the door handle!

I can't seem to locate a full copy of the CPO terms and conditions anywhere. All I can find is a summary. Can anyone point me in a direction where I can find a complete copy?

Also, can anyone direct me to a person or the department within PCNA that has the authority to say, yes, this is covered? (If it makes a difference, I'm located in SoCal.)

Many thanks!!!
Old 11-12-2009, 11:38 PM
BoxsterG
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the dealer is correct. When I considered getting my 987 CPO'd I looked at the reason why I should and should not buy it. I realized that the CPO covered mostly mechanical but it didn't seem to cover wear and tear items as well as things like that could easliy break.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:41 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

See here:
http://www.porsche.com/usa/pre-owned-vehicles/approved/

I would think that the door handle would be covered?

Unless they are going with this thinking:
This warranty does not cover: Normal wear and tear or deterioration of any part.

Perhaps visiting a different dealer will yeald a different result?

Or call 1-800-PORSCHE and plead your case
Old 11-12-2009, 11:45 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Thanks, BoxsterG. I just never figured that the door handle breaking on a 4-year old car would be considered "normal" wear and tear.
Old 11-12-2009, 11:52 PM
MyEmily
Racer

The warranty covered. I had exactly the same handle problem and it was fixed under warranty. Careful though, All southern california Porsche dealer don't have that part. I had to wait a month for it from germany, A $25 parts. One, question though, the warranty is 50,000 miles or 4 years, right?
Old 11-12-2009, 11:54 PM
Dmitri
Instructor

Thanks, too, MJones. I understand the dealer's situation, which is why I think this is a PCNA issue. Seems to me that the key term in the warranty disclaimer is "normal." If we were talking about the metallic finish peeling off of the handle or something like that, I'd still be unhappy, but would probably agree that's something that normally happens.

I'll give PCNA a try and see what they say. Wish me luck!
Old 11-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

MyEmily - You're right - the basic warranty is 4 years or 50k miles. My '06 was first put in service in 8/05. If that's correct, then my basic 4 year warranty ran out in August of this year and I'm now "covered" (or not) by the CPO warranty.

You're also right about the part - no one had it in stock, and it had to be ordered from Germany, which took about a week to get.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:46 AM
richc
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn! I'll stop using mine and climb in out of the window.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:00 AM
stevepow
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

That blows - a car like this @ $100K'ish and < 4 yo; the door handle should not break and they should fix it. WTF

Maybe you can find a good indepenedent to take a look at it if you are having to pay anyway - total bummer story re: quality and service.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:13 AM
lig
Racer

PSE isn't covered by the CPO warranty either. I know that firsthand.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:24 AM
MyEmily
Racer

I just can't believe it will cost $200 in labor to replace a spring. Would think a experience service guy can do it in 20 mins. Two hours allocation for this job? What a rip off..
Old 11-14-2009, 01:07 AM
PHDX2
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not covered by the CPO warranty?

Sad.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:41 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

I talked to PCNA about this today, and their explanation is weak. They said that it's not covered by the CPO warranty because it's considered "normal" wear. I asked whether this would have been covered if, instead of 1 week ago, the handle broke 3 months ago while the car was still under its 4 year/50k mile warranty. They said yes. I pointed out that both warranties exclude "normal" wear items and asked them to explain the difference. They couldn't, other than to say that the CPO warranty is more limited and excludes a lot more items.

I asked where I could read specifically what is and isn't covered by the CPO warranty. They referred me to the brochure on the Porsche website (which MJones linked above and doesn't have this information.) They said that they have a lengthy list of parts that are excluded from coverage under the CPO warranty, but they don't give out that information. Huh?

I plan to follow up next week with someone higher up in the food chain.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:54 PM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmitri
I talked to PCNA about this today, and their explanation is weak. They said that it's not covered by the CPO warranty because it's considered "normal" wear. I asked whether this would have been covered if, instead of 1 week ago, the handle broke 3 months ago while the car was still under its 4 year/50k mile warranty. They said yes. I pointed out that both warranties exclude "normal" wear items and asked them to explain the difference. They couldn't, other than to say that the CPO warranty is more limited and excludes a lot more items.

I asked where I could read specifically what is and isn't covered by the CPO warranty. They referred me to the brochure on the Porsche website (which MJones linked above and doesn't have this information.) They said that they have a lengthy list of parts that are excluded from coverage under the CPO warranty, but they don't give out that information. Huh?

I plan to follow up next week with someone higher up in the food chain.
Print out the PDF brochure in MJones link. The bottom of page 4 states:

"The Porsche Approved Certified Pre-Owned limited warranty is just like our new car limited warranty.

All you're responsible for are normal wear and tear components, such as brake pads or wiper blades and scheduled maintenance."

This is contrary to what the PCNA person told you. I agree that you should go further up the chain.
Old 11-15-2009, 02:09 AM
Dmitri
Instructor

Nice catch, gota911! I'll be sure to point that out.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broken Door Handle Not Covered By CPO??