What did you do to your 997 today?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 12:32 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,520 Likes on 4,154 Posts

Originally Posted by amplitude
...Oh, I also don't rotate tires (which probably makes a difference), but I'm not sure if anyone else does either, since doing so requires a full dismount, etc. Would be interested in hearing from others if this is part of their routine!
Unless you're running a directional tire, like the Hankook Ventus evo2, an asymmetrical tread tire that has an Inside and Outside only, but not a direction arrow, can be moved from side to side as the outside is always the outside whether rotating forward on one side of the car or in the reverse direction on the other side of the car. But this won't help with wear much as the inside of both rears wear the same and the inside is still the inside, so I'd agree that not many people with a staggered setup go through the trouble of rotating, but removal from the wheel isn't necessary and doesn't help you.

With a directional tire, dismounting it and remounting it on the other side would change the inside to the outside and that would help with wear.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:26 PM
flvraptor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completed my very first mod this morning - radiator guards. Was cleaning the area around the radiators and found a few rocks and a couple of screws. There's so much crap on the roads in FL. Not quite sure how well the center one will hold with just automotive 3M on the top and bottom. More concerned about the bottom since they're not really resting against anything, but I guess they'll do for now.

Does anyone have a cheap fix to clean up the front plate holes?

Old 08-11-2018, 03:17 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Epoxy, but then the color won't match your bumper. You might use some touchup paint, but then the result is a crap shoot.
Old 08-11-2018, 04:08 PM
flvraptor
AutoX

Can’t just fill it with epoxy because there’s still the bumps from the screws. Have to work on flattening them first. Maybe once I flatten them they won’t be so bad.

Anyone used a heat heat gun on those without damaging the paint?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:46 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 785 Likes on 444 Posts

I know Honda used to make plugs for theirs. IDK about Porsche but maybe they do too?
When it is time for a repaint, most body shops can fill smaller holes and damage like that.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:38 PM
flvraptor
AutoX

Originally Posted by jamesinger
I know Honda used to make plugs for theirs. IDK about Porsche but maybe they do too?
When it is time for a repaint, most body shops can fill smaller holes and damage like that.
Thanks. I’ll do some searching for plugs.
Old 08-11-2018, 07:44 PM
BigSichGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Early Am meeting around town, drove like I stole it on I-90, car wash and relaxed drive home. I love this car
Old 08-11-2018, 07:50 PM
poorshoeless
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by flvraptor

Thanks. I’ll do some searching for plugs.
https://www.bumperplugs.com/

These guys should have them.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:44 PM
Dymag
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Front Bumper holes

Try Bumper Plugs, that is the popular fix for this.

BumperPlugs.com

Completed my very first mod this morning - radiator guards. Was cleaning the area around the radiators and found a few rocks and a couple of screws. There's so much crap on the roads in FL. Not quite sure how well the center one will hold with just automotive 3M on the top and bottom. More concerned about the bottom since they're not really resting against anything, but I guess they'll do for now.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:31 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MSicher
Early Am meeting around town, drove like I stole it on I-90, car wash and relaxed drive home. I love this car
See, driving a Porsche even makes going to work on a Saturday fun! There is no substitute...T
Old 08-11-2018, 10:09 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by tomc_mets
See, driving a Porsche even makes going to work on a Saturday fun! There is no substitute...T
Mine is a daily driver so no matter how bad work can get I always have something to look forward to after it. I always come home with a smile.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:57 AM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Did this to my Mercedes E550 (C207) a few years back. My DIY solution to this was to use these plugs, roughed them up using some sand paper, and painted over them with touchup paint + clear coat. They fit into the holes pretty well. Looks alright, checked on them a few days ago, and other than some rock chips over the years, they're still OK. Same effect as the bumper plugs, and ultimately, not going to be as great as a repaint/filler.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:14 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Presto

do you know what sort of adjustments they did? Always best to ask for an alignment report. I’m at 12k miles and so far the wear is absolutely even and normal with rear camber and toe within factory spec
To be brutally honest, between alignments, toe and camber adjustments, I've lost track of what exactly has been done and what's been undone. I'm not tracking this car currently so I've just asked them to set it up for long wear rather than peak performance. They seem to be tweaking with it each time I come back with a set of rears that still didn't even make it to 11K miles. I sense that the current configuration is the best so far in terms of longevity so if this holds up I will get the specifics of what was done.

Originally Posted by amplitude
sandwedge, my rears were about the same at 9k- Except I hadn't lowered the car yet. I suspect that my toe settings were likely way off, resulting in the egregious inner tread block wear. Oh, I also don't rotate tires (which probably makes a difference), but I'm not sure if anyone else does either, since doing so requires a full dismount, etc. Would be interested in hearing from others if this is part of their routine!

I've since lowered, also on H&R and did an alignment at that time as well, requesting toe and camber settings that favor tire longevity. I'm hoping for the best.
I've had various versions of Michelins on all three of my 997's, all which has had directional arrows on them making rotation unwise as I understand it.
Old 08-12-2018, 07:41 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by doclouie
Mine is a daily driver so no matter how bad work can get I always have something to look forward to after it. I always come home with a smile.
Indeed. It's the Attitude Readjustment Machine!
T
Old 08-12-2018, 09:03 AM
grevegti
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

Did some racing in the rain

Quick Reply: What did you do to your 997 today?