is there really a big difference between S and Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 12:37 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill_C4S
It is ok to be "Very special"
I don't recall anyone claiming to be special.

In fact, I think it can be as much about your location as it is about the driver. What "road toy" means to a person who lives in Houston, Chicago, or Indianapolis, or Miami is a very different thing than what "road toy" means to someone who lives in Santa Barbara, Knoxville, Austin, or Atlanta.

What kind of roads do you get to drive? That's at least half of the equation.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:44 AM
Bill_C4S
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LlBr
Road car choice: 997S or a Turbo? For 99% of guys: Get the Turbo! Ignore the very special 997S owners. Go to an active Turbo forum and ask around. Nobody there will ever miss their 997Ss enough to trade in their Turbos.
Foregoing as a memory jog Nugget. Bolding mine...
Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 AM
winkingchef
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

The true test of this is to ask a random sampling of boys age 7-10.
Kids that age haven't yet learned to rationalize or compromise, so you will get the honest truth.
All of them will say "Turbo".
Old 08-25-2010, 02:14 AM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by winkingchef
The true test of this is to ask a random sampling of boys age 7-10. Kids that age haven't yet learned to drive...
Fixed that for you.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by winkingchef
The true test of this is to ask a random sampling of boys age 7-10.
Kids that age haven't yet learned to rationalize or compromise, so you will get the honest truth.
All of them will say "Turbo".
So you say Turbos exist to fulfill little boys dreams? As Nugget says, what happens when those boys learn to drive?

Jokes apart... there are those who love linear, NA engines, and those who lust for punch in the rear, sledge hammer propulsion. Choice is good. But heck... if one is serious about car dynamics and still wants a Turbo, then get its best rendition - a GT2. Here is WR demonstrating it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVn7tummvQA

Last edited by ADias; 08-25-2010 at 03:48 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nugget
In fact, I think it can be as much about your location as it is about the driver. What "road toy" means to a person who lives in Houston, Chicago, or Indianapolis, or Miami is a very different thing than what "road toy" means to someone who lives in Santa Barbara, Knoxville, Austin, or Atlanta.

What kind of roads do you get to drive? That's at least half of the equation.
This is precisely why I didn't get a Turbo. Driving around using 20% of its capability would not be fun. In fact, many times it's more entertaining to drive my 200 hp GTI since I can wring it out more often.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

It also depends on where one lives. If you will be driving the car mostly in elevated locations ( 5,000 feet or more) a turbo will make a bigger diffference. I live in NJ at only about 100 feet above sea level.....no power shortage here. If lived in Denver, I would definitely drive a turbo version of any car ( Porsche, VW, Audi, BMW, Subaru, ...)
Old 08-25-2010, 10:19 AM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by slicky rick
i have a chance to trade my C2S for a Turbo. Of course with additional money... for those who have experienced both, it it really worth it. is the Turbo really so much more valuable than the C2S? do not track, just want a nice toy to drive around and feel good in. impressions?
Depends on what the money difference. The Turbo is an awesome toy, more so that a C2S. You can track a Turbo not problems and I suggest you attend a AutoX and DE just to learn the car and work on your driving skills. Plenty of guys I track with track Turbo's at DE's. A DE is for learning and fun, it's not a competition.

If you can justify the cost and afford the Turbo I say go for it...I know I would if I could.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:44 AM
todd.
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
I was all ready to buy an '09 Turbo, test drove one, and WHOA! I realized very quickly that where I live (VA near DC), a Turbo would get me into a LOT of trouble...Would I buy a Turbo? Sure I would, but only if I moved back out west (CA, AZ, CO, etc.) where I might actually get to enjoy the power.
This is the primary reason I got rid of my '07 Turbo. Massachusetts roads are the worst, and my Turbo begged to be driven fast. If I still lived in California, I might have a Turbo.
Old 08-25-2010, 11:43 AM
JohnAMG
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdrums
If you can justify the cost and afford the Turbo I say go for it...I know I would if I could.
+1. Same here if I had extra money sitting around or single or without children.

John
Old 08-25-2010, 12:48 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

The best argument so far is the elevation argument. When I used to hit the Colorado passes (like Independence Pass at 12,096 ft) I certainly appreciated retaining more power than a N/A engine but when you factor in the amount of time I spend above 5-6000 ft then it just isn't practical.

I think the biggest detractor was demonstrated recently at a club event. We headed up to the Calif. mountains and spent several days at Mammoth Mountain and during one of the day excursions a group headed out for a little mountain driving. One unnamed driver decided that he would have to exercise his 996 Turbo Cab a little bit over the 65 mph limit. He had 5 others with him in various P-cars. He was coming back down from about 125 mph when the CHP radared him at 104 mph while the others were at 75 mph. All promptly pulled over to await their fate. The female CHP officer was quite nice to the group. She admitted that had they all been at 75 mph or lower she would have looked the other way. But the one guy spoiled it for them all, and she was obligated to intercede. He was written for 85 mph and the rest at 75 mph. The big violator just couldn't couldn't resist the opportunity to push the limits with his turbo--because it just wants to go fast. It's just so tempting. Now we all know that we get tempted to open things up occasionally but I personally feel that the turbo is just too tempting all the time, and it tempts you into lose-your-license territory.

It sort of reminds me of the time I lived in Germany in the 1970s and my Porsche mechanics in Heilbronn (Autohaus Mauk) absolutely cracked up when I told them that America had a 55 mph speed limit! They couldn't believe Americans were still buying Porsches!
Old 08-25-2010, 12:52 PM
LlBr
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts

LAME! LAME! Makes me laugh.

LAMEST counterargument: Basically saying I want a road car with less power because I like the slight difference in steering feel which public roads can hardly allow me to demonstrate.

LOL. Anyway. I'm sure you're all good guys, but really! Listen to yourselves RATIONALIZE.

Less power is NOT good. Slight steering and driving dynamics differences, in a ROAD CAR aren't worth the trade off except for "very special" guys who live in their own heads! We're talking TWO AMAZING PORSCHES here! WAKE UP! GEEZ: Handling-wise The Turbo is NOT a Ford Thunderbird by comparison for sh*t sakes!

I let my friends drive my cars, every one of them had their minds blown in the TT. My 997S got lesser reviews.

Ask yourselves why Porsche created the Turbo. Then come over to the Dark Side.

This is what honest guys will say: "Yes, the Turbo is a fantastic road car. I'd love to have one! My 997S is underpowered POS in comparison on these public roads. Porsche is totally nasty to price them so outrageously." (kidding about the POS , just trying to be funny)

A few prideful lost guys will say, "I like the handling dynamics of my 997S, even though I don't really track my car I HEAR that's a good reason for me to like my 997S better."

A few very special guys will say, "No thanks, I'm a track expert and I like making counter arguments to any and every obviously good point and delude myself into thinking I win them because I'm a track expert. If I can't win them I will personally attack and disparage the persons who promote the good points. I believe less power makes a 997S road car more satisfying to drive on public roads than the TT. Why? Because I don't own and don't 'choose' to own a TT. If none of the above works I'll promote the GT3 as a better car even though Porsche made it for different reasons."

god love yous all! (small "g") What a wild world we live in.

OP: TT or 997S? Get the TURBO!

Ok, that's enough entertainment for us both this morning. Take care.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:18 PM
Nugget
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by LlBr
LAME! LAME! ... A few prideful lost guys will say... A few very special guys will say...
Why do you have to be so mean-spirited?
Old 08-25-2010, 01:30 PM
blk on blk
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

this is like every other argument. it simply depends on personal taste. To me my C2S is about the most perfect car for me. that is in no way indictive that it might be perfect for anyone other than me. if you like the turbo better and have the cash by all means that is what you should drive
Old 08-25-2010, 01:34 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 396 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Nugget
Why do you have to be so mean-spirited?
Nah! He's just frustrated. See... he has a Turbo but posts constantly on the NA forum.

Quick Reply: is there really a big difference between S and Turbo