Sponsored by:

GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:02 PM
KBS911
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Minok
From the described symptoms, it sounds every bit like this car has been or is being exposed to some adverse environmental conditions, either now in ownership, during the build, or during transit/life between factory and you. All of those symptoms could be explained by environmental contaminants attacking the electrical wiring and paint surfaces. You don't live downwind of a chemical plant do you?
Car was purchased off the showroom and is garage kept. They do live on the beach, but no problems with their 2009 Carrera S in the same environment. Both cars are black btw. Paint issue could have been a problem in prep at the factory.
Old 03-30-2010, 09:06 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
Bravo and well said! It's simply a Chevy........
Old 04-03-2010, 12:28 AM
mkk62
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

funny my friend's z06's roof flew off at sebring last year...bummer
it was replaced under warranty
Old 04-03-2010, 01:44 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

500? Did I write 500? Ooops, it is 5000 precision welds on steel. That's one of many reasons why the 911 costs more. It is built from better materials with more expensive craftsmanship.

Pointing out that the Corvette is in many places pure plastic where other autos are steel is NOT talking trash. That is simply the truth. And, that plastic combined with less expensive production techniques are part of the reason as to why the Corvette cost less... and that steel and those welds are part of the reason the 911 costs more. There is no mystery. Therefore it is correct to say that a Corvette is a faster, less expensive machine than a 911.

It is also correct to say that even good ground beef costs less than steak and they are both beef though few people would suggest that ground beef tastes better than steak.

Corvette v. 911. Ground beef v. steak.

Sama sama.

Last edited by JohnnyBahamas; 04-03-2010 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-03-2010, 02:57 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I was interested in finding out all this Z06 stuff. Was is true? or hype. I have driven a c5 Z06 and a C6 and it was just an awful car (c6) everything felt loose and the doors rattled made all sorts of squeaky noises. But I kept hearing about the C6 Z06, So I made an appt with Palmdale Chevy and went down for a test drive. I was thinking of trading in my 09 AMG C63 it on the 09 Z06. At the time 08 Z06 were still on the lot and selling for $55K. My AMG was worth about the same or around 52-55 Trade I had been offered 53 for a trade on a 911, already. On the way down about an hour out the salesman calls and asks if I was coming down. I said yup on the road already. He says Well be waiting. I tell him Look, I have bought many a high end car and I dont want to play around on this. I want the truth from the beginning and no I got to go ask my manager crap. He says No problem!! So I get there and the 09 Z06 had no gas. So they took 20 minutes to find someone to put in some gas. Then as I did my walkaround the back was loaded with grass like they (sales staff )had taken it to the golf course. Then on the interior which was this wierd combo of brown and grey, the dash had water spots all over it from like when it rained they had lowered the windows and the rain got in and ruined the interior. No mention from the sales man. I take the car out and it BIG compared to the 911 and very....uhm..... Cumbersome. The accellerator travel was VERY long and I did like it AT ALL. So we get back in
to the store and the guy says, I got to go talk to my sales manager. MSRP was 80. He comes back in 1.5 hours and my wife was livid. The sales manager give me a sheet on which the price was jacked up to 89K with clear coat protection for 9K and they generously knocked off 5 K off of that for a price of 85k. THEN they came up with a price for my trade as 40ish. I said you have to be kidding. Nope nad the factory is going to shut down (I wonder why) so you wont be able to get these any more, even though they were all over the country for 58.
I will NEVER go back to a Chevy dealer. I think the car is still there.
Thats why they sell Chevy;s and not something else. Incredibly they called me a week later and aksed me if I had reconsidered?!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:40 PM
beachview
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
WTF
Old 04-04-2010, 12:12 AM
FFaust
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

OldGuy, that story is simply incredible. Some salesmen can simply be the scum of the earth. It's no wonder that when you find a good one, it's priceless and worth building a long-term relationship.
Old 04-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OG - Your story sounds like the few times I've gone to check out Vettes and very similar to my experiences trying to buy GT-Rs... And that video is real. Dude made the vid because he was so pissed. That's from 2007 or so IIRC.
Old 04-05-2010, 02:56 PM
CamsPorsche
Race Car

Received 417 Likes on 174 Posts

This thread is still going?!
Old 04-05-2010, 06:32 PM
RonnieTheC
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CamsPorsche
This thread is still going?!
I am shocked that this thread is still going. I started it, so maybe I can end it (odds are, I won't!).

I have almost 600 miles on my new Corvette Grand Sport convertible and just love it, as most Corvette owners love their cars. And most of the Porsche owners on this forum love their cars, and I think that is great. I have enjoyed and appreciated most of the comments on this thread ( except for one arrogant member who's screen name will not be mentioned..well, I will give you a hint: thAT LAWyer).

Maybe one day we will meet up and go for a Corvette/Porsche run through the canyons of So Cal.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 41 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the Corvette would be a much better expereince if GM hired high end people to sell their high end car. The problem is the same guy who sells you a Chevette can sell you a Corvette. The car deserves better. Toyota does it with Lexus and honda/acura and Nissan/infinity does it too. Same for the mechanics. The same guy who puts air in your cobalt is the same guy changing your corvette sparkplug.

Quick Reply: GOODYE PORSCHE. I WISH I COULD SAY THAT IT HAS BEEN NICE