Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why car dealers and car salespeople are not to be trusted or respected!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:53 PM
CDH911C2S
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Why car dealers and car salespeople are not to be trusted or respected!!!

Okay...Very strong words, but once again so very appropriate.

I have read many threads regarding the integrity of the car business and conversely, the lack of integrity. I have made a very broad statement that of course does not apply to everyone, but it sure does ring true most of the time.

I was contemplating a 2010 GT3...figured I would see what my 2006 Carrera 4S was worth(my car had msrp of $117K, mint, with 15K miles)...the numbers on both ends of the equation were just insulting....

My car was "worth" $43,000 as a favor to me they said...then they could "probably" get me a 2010 gt3 for $10,000 over MSRP....

I have bought 6 cars from this dealer(Niello) over the past 4 years...

The reason so many people feel that car sales and the salesperson are "hookers" is that they do not follow any business model other than maximize profit. What will the customer pay? The industry rewards those who can deceive their customer the most. It absolutely refuses to develop or regulate its' own sales practices. I cannot imagine lying to my clients, yet car salesmen are rewarded for this practice each and every day. Sure your car is worth $43,000....my response, please find me 2 and I will buy them both from you for $48,000 apiece..you will make $10,000...their response.....ummmmm...now the truth...maybe your car is worth a little more

Lawyers, Doctors, and Brokers have "set" fees, commissions, or a guideline that does not go up and down depending on the day of the week.

So to all those cars salesmen and dealers stating how they should be treated as professionals, get serious...you guys are just a bunch of opportunistic sponges living off the legitimate income of others.

PS Stoppie may have been too aggressive, but he was honest.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:01 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

I agree with you.

For them to come here and whine that they can't afford to pay their mortgage is a total joke to me.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:28 PM
pepper1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Absolutely agree. A friend of mine who has bought Porsche's from the same dealer had a recent similiar experience. He was looking into a 09 997 S Cab on the lot. Has a 05 997 S Cab 15K miles loaded with MRSP north of 100K. They told him the same thing and told him they would give him 40K for his. Even in his surprised state he asked them how they can justify that price while sitting on their lot was a 06 S Coupe with 32K miles and with few extras for 68K. He said their response was because it was CPO'd. He just laughed and drove off. Now this is a dealer that we both have bought many cars from in the last ten years. Go figure.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:30 PM
At Law
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Let's face it, salesmen or saleswomen are all the type of people
who jump from job to job looking for "greener grass." One
month they're selling insurance, the next month cars, the next
month computer software.

Nobody goes to school to become a salesperson. It is just
something that happens when all other avenues in life prove to
be unsuccessful.

There are never a shortage of companies/businesses offering
salespeople $150k - $250k plus per year. These are Pure pipedreams.

In my higher priced neighborhood in the Midwest,
there is not one salesperson living here. It is full of doctors,
lawyers, and successful business owners. These are professionals with
ethics and character.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:41 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 222 Posts
Default You should have done your homework and had the value of your trade-in...

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
Okay...Very strong words, but once again so very appropriate.

I have read many threads regarding the integrity of the car business and conversely, the lack of integrity. I have made a very broad statement that of course does not apply to everyone, but it sure does ring true most of the time.

I was contemplating a 2010 GT3...figured I would see what my 2006 Carrera 4S was worth(my car had msrp of $117K, mint, with 15K miles)...the numbers on both ends of the equation were just insulting....

My car was "worth" $43,000 as a favor to me they said...then they could "probably" get me a 2010 gt3 for $10,000 over MSRP....

I have bought 6 cars from this dealer(Niello) over the past 4 years...

The reason so many people feel that car sales and the salesperson are "hookers" is that they do not follow any business model other than maximize profit. What will the customer pay? The industry rewards those who can deceive their customer the most. It absolutely refuses to develop or regulate its' own sales practices. I cannot imagine lying to my clients, yet car salesmen are rewarded for this practice each and every day. Sure your car is worth $43,000....my response, please find me 2 and I will buy them both from you for $48,000 apiece..you will make $10,000...their response.....ummmmm...now the truth...maybe your car is worth a little more

Lawyers, Doctors, and Brokers have "set" fees, commissions, or a guideline that does not go up and down depending on the day of the week.

So to all those cars salesmen and dealers stating how they should be treated as professionals, get serious...you guys are just a bunch of opportunistic sponges living off the legitimate income of others.

PS Stoppie may have been too aggressive, but he was honest.
already nailed down. I don't know what it will be but I can assure you it will be lower than you think it should be. With dealers offering huge discounts on new cars and having some unsold 08's laying around older used cars even in good condition are way down in value.

(I bought a pristine 03 Turbo with 9400 miles that stickered new for $120K for less than half that amount just weeks ago and probably paid too much.)

As for the new car, I've not done any market research on GT3's but I have seen some used ones for sale for a long long time. Market even for these cars soft I think. But you are dealing with a customer base that to enough having the car they want is worth more than saving a few bucks. I spotted nice looking 997 in GTR orange up near Tahoe the other day and briefly spoke with owner. He had to special order car in that color and I bet he paid sticker maybe more.

If you had done the above then visited the dealer and you could have spelled out what trade-in allowance you wanted for your car and why it was worth that and what you would be willing to pay for the GT3 and why you felt justified in offering that price. Tell salesman to tell salesmanager he can pay to floor a lot of cars with the money he'd free up selling the GT3...

Salesman can't say yes or no to deal unless you let him. Salesmanager only one that reject or accept your offer.

Price not fact, only an opinion. And there's always another car.

Sincerely,

Macster.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:06 PM
uvgaal
Rennlist Member

Yep 997.1 values went down the drain. Go ahead blame the dealer. Face it there is no market for these cars you are stuck with it. Enjoy it while you can and stop whining.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:11 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The Car business is the car business no matter the Mark.
Just looking for the next deal..

Read Post 126

On a trade you are getting wholesale
The Niello figure is way too low..

But Niello is nuts asking a Market Adjustment on a GT3 in this market.
There are too many slots showing up without buyers.

Suggest you shop elsewhere
Old 07-11-2009, 12:01 AM
djcxxx
Three Wheelin'

Received 349 Likes on 176 Posts

I wonder how many people would actually pay the dollar figure they think their trade-in is worth? Many customers are no different than the dealers. Buy at rock bottom and sell for top dollar, two sides of the same coin. The pleasure of driving and ownership necessarily compensate for the massive depreciation to justify the purchase.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:59 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,630 Likes on 2,314 Posts

sorry, but WHY WHY WHY did you buy 6 cars from niello.
they are a tiny dealer.
they are THE WORST dealer in the bay area by FAR.
they have terrible attitude on the phone or in person.
they are in sacramento. if you want a porsche, come the the REAL BAY area.
sonnen: denis
carlsen: gary Q
fletcher jones fremont: george acosta
michael stead porsche: kenny pardini
even the pathetic shop in livermore is better than niello.

if they were to give me a GT3 free of charge, i would turn it down.

did you buy all 6 cars from the same salesperson? if so, i would run him over with your trade in.

i have delt with all four sales i mentioned above. they dont always have the best price, but they tell me flat out, something like i cannot beat that price this time. what you have been offered is better than what i can do, i won't be insulted if you buy else where.

i can understand that. some ppl NEED to have a higher margin. sure. no prob. but dont lie to me like i am a moron. if they want to ream me, post a sign, i will turn around and get my sphincter ready. dont BS dont sugar coat.

but 10k over for 10 gt3 is way over the top.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:04 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ well... some are bottom fishers as you said.
but i dont think more regular p car buyers go for the lowest price. i want a FAIR price. i would pay msrp or maybe 2-3k over for a GT3, but not 10k. when selling, i also want a FAIR price. i know the mkt, i dont BS myself or my buyers. my cars rarely take more than 2--3 days to sell. on the other hand, i do pick the buyers. if you are not ready with cash or if your lender cannot cut me chk in a day or two, i will move to the next buyer.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:04 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

^ well... some are bottom fishers as you said.
but i dont think more regular p car buyers go for the lowest price. i want a FAIR price. i would pay msrp or maybe 2-3k over for a GT3, but not 10k. when selling, i also want a FAIR price. i know the mkt, i dont BS myself or my buyers. my cars rarely take more than 2--3 days to sell. on the other hand, i do pick the buyers. if you are not ready with cash or if your lender cannot cut me chk in a day or two, i will move to the next buyer.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:16 AM
MJPereira
Instructor

Doesn't seem like anything you should get mad about. If his prices are ridiculous I would just never go there again. You'll find another dealer who'll give you more for your trade in and less on the new car and you win on both ends.

It's not like you're walking in there going "I'm going to pay this guy as much as I can just to be fair." You want to buy at the lowest possible price and he wants to sell at the highest possible price. That's the game you play.

Find another dealer who's more reasonable and save yourself the headaches. And don't be afraid to play hard ball. When he offers you a price on your trade in and you know it's ridiculous bring in proof of better prices elsewhere and make him work for his living like everyone else.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:32 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by At Law
Let's face it, salesmen or saleswomen are all the type of people
who jump from job to job looking for "greener grass." One
month they're selling insurance, the next month cars, the next
month computer software.

Nobody goes to school to become a salesperson. It is just
something that happens when all other avenues in life prove to
be unsuccessful.

There are never a shortage of companies/businesses offering
salespeople $150k - $250k plus per year. These are Pure pipedreams.

In my higher priced neighborhood in the Midwest,
there is not one salesperson living here. It is full of doctors,
lawyers, and successful business owners. These are professionals with
ethics and character.
I hate to break it to you, but everyone is in Sales. Doctors, Lawyers, Postman, Garbage men. We all have to "sell". Internally and externally.

The reason no salespeople live in your neighborhood, is because they live in the nicer and bigger houses in the better part of town, without a big fat mortgage. They own it.

Guys like you, on the other hand, are up to your eyeballs in debt! Be careful, you may dislocate your arm while you pat yourself on the back so much.

j/k/ of course!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:34 AM
BGA23
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by CDH911C2S
...they do not follow any business model other than maximize profit.
Shouldn't that be the goal off all for profit businesses?

But I do agree with the rest of your post. And the worst thing about Porsche salespeople is that is many cities there is only one or two dealerships, so they know your options are very limited.
Old 07-11-2009, 01:58 AM
tooloud10
Team Owner

Received 194 Likes on 132 Posts

Don't like the deal? Don't take it, or negotiate a better one. They're not "wrong" for their offer, they just don't want to give you as much for a commodity Porsche as you'd like them to...put it on eBay or Autotrader and deal with it yourself--you'll get more anyway, of course.

Quick Reply: Why car dealers and car salespeople are not to be trusted or respected!!!