Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loosing my Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take a few pics post them on the wall- once things turn around you then can reorient your priorities and reattain your goal. few people understand what a car can mean to some- silly as it amy sound to them some things are important for the psyche- Bit the bullet and keep the pics as something to look forward to
Old 04-09-2009, 10:42 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 33 Posts

Deanski,

Man I am sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you are feeling. A little over a year ago we moved from Charlotte to Dallas when I took a job with a different company. The company sold off 65% of the stores last Fall and in early December they laid off 150+ of 185 corporate associates. I was one of them that got laid off.

We bought a house in Dallas and are still trying to sell the house in Charlotte. Two mortgages, one income, and a daughter in college.... not a good place to be. My wife is a school teacher so her income does not cover the minimum monthly bills. The lease on my 996 ended last June and I turned it back into the leasing company. It is a good thing I did because of what happened to my job five months later. Right now I am trying to find any work to stop the monthly hit to our savings account.

You are doing the right thing. Do I miss my Porsche? Hell yes, but right now I have bigger issues to deal with, and so do you. Believe me when I tell you it could be worse, because I have been in that "worse" place. Almost 10 years ago my 11-year old son died in his sleep for no known reason. So yes, it could be worse.

Hang in there and help your wife stay positive. I know that is hard to do when you are looking for a job and can't find one. I wish you all the best.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:59 AM
kdurg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're putting your family first and your dreams in the back seat for awhile. Don't beat yourself up, it's part of being a man. Your wife and children are proud of you. Make the best of a less than ideal situation and try to be thankful for what you have. Easier said than done for sure..........
Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 AM
richc
Pro

Bad news, but the bottom line is it's just a car. When things turn around you can get another, and given the design changes it'll be better than the one you've got now.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:29 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Sorry to hear about your situation. I don't know enough of your detail lease numbers, but is it possible to post your car in those internet lease trade websites and hope someone can take over your lease? This might be better than surrendering your car to the lease company early... Just a thought.

Best luck to you. It is just a car afterall, take care of your health and family first.

Wtih best regards,
Old 04-09-2009, 12:18 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Deanski, I know this is an incredibly difficult time for you, but please focus on the positives! Drive by your local hospital and I can assure that there are many people in there who would love to trade places with you!

So, in business and finance unforeseen things happen, you accept them and move on, which is a helluva lot easier when you have your health and someone to love! Three needs for a happy life;
1. someone to love
2. a job that you enjoy
3. something (998) to look forward to

There are a lot of guys with Pcars who would trade you for #1.
Forget the self pity, get on your bike and start the rebuild process today!
Old 04-09-2009, 12:49 PM
adfsouth
Rennlist Member

Hang in there man.....its just a bump in the road. You'll get another one someday.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:17 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your situation, Deanski. I can imagine what it must feel like losing your beloved Porsche. It's not "just a car;" it's your car and you have a special bond with it. Any car-nut surely understands that. That said, however, if all I'm facing in today's tough economic times is losing my toy, then I'd feel very fortunate already. I love my 911 to death, but it's nothing compared to my family. If I ever had to choose, then the 911 is gone with no regret whatsoever.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stubenhocker
Deanski, I know this is an incredibly difficult time for you, but please focus on the positives! Drive by your local hospital and I can assure that there are many people in there who would love to trade places with you!
Drive by your local McDonalds and you'll find many who would love to trade places with you.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:06 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
Exactly.

Don't underestimate the power of the rennlist gang!
I agree... I am new to this group, but if the majority of people here own these cars, i am sure there is a bright idea around. here's an idea...

Call PFS, ask them how much to buy her out now and negotiate down. Jump into a finance situation right now, and see if you can lower your monthly payment. i bet you pay 1200 a month on your beast now or more.. if you can get it down to 800 if there is a maracle, maybe you can do a 6 year note..

You have to keep her. Stoppie is right, theres got to be a helpign hand here...
Old 04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by peterm
Take a few pics post them on the wall- once things turn around you then can reorient your priorities and reattain your goal. few people understand what a car can mean to some- silly as it amy sound to them some things are important for the psyche- Bit the bullet and keep the pics as something to look forward to
AMEN... time to take the economy by the ***** and make it work for us again.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:15 PM
Sadiq
Pro

penfed.org has 3.99% financing for 5 years, if that helps...
Old 04-09-2009, 04:28 PM
997, esq
Racer

It may be possible to finance a purchase of the car, negotiate with Porsche financial services, etc., but there are a couple of concerns I would have. First, a Porsche is an unnecessary indulgence. You simply cannot responsibly spend your retirement money, school money (for kids), food or shelter money, etc. on an expensive toy, imo. I would expect that most any plan to keep the car will require an outlay of close to $1000 a month. If that's not easily affordable, it is time for OP to get out of the car as cheaply as possible. In addition, if OP's credit is jacked, he may have a hard time financing a buyout, particularly if a lender sees a cash flow problem. I would not recommend tapping home equity to pay for a Porsche either, as that is the primary way most folks save for retirement. Life has some hard choices sometimes, unfortunately... My sympathies to the OP. My wife recently lost her job; these things are tough.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:40 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Arrow

Originally Posted by jk335
I agree... I am new to this group, but if the majority of people here own these cars, i am sure there is a bright idea around. here's an idea...

Call PFS, ask them how much to buy her out now and negotiate down. Jump into a finance situation right now, and see if you can lower your monthly payment. i bet you pay 1200 a month on your beast now or more.. if you can get it down to 800 if there is a maracle, maybe you can do a 6 year note..

You have to keep her. Stoppie is right, theres got to be a helpign hand here...

It's not even close to $1200 a month!

Jim- Post your car, with the payment on Rennlist- if you don't-

I WILL!!

Do NOT do a 'volunteer reposession' if it's really avoidable!!!!

C'mon guys, there's gotta be someone who wants a perfect AeroKit car out there for LOW PAYMents!!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 04:43 PM
jk335
Instructor

Originally Posted by gota911
Deanski,

Man I am sorry to hear that. I know exactly how you are feeling. A little over a year ago we moved from Charlotte to Dallas when I took a job with a different company. The company sold off 65% of the stores last Fall and in early December they laid off 150+ of 185 corporate associates. I was one of them that got laid off.

We bought a house in Dallas and are still trying to sell the house in Charlotte. Two mortgages, one income, and a daughter in college.... not a good place to be. My wife is a school teacher so her income does not cover the minimum monthly bills. The lease on my 996 ended last June and I turned it back into the leasing company. It is a good thing I did because of what happened to my job five months later. Right now I am trying to find any work to stop the monthly hit to our savings account.

You are doing the right thing. Do I miss my Porsche? Hell yes, but right now I have bigger issues to deal with, and so do you. Believe me when I tell you it could be worse, because I have been in that "worse" place. Almost 10 years ago my 11-year old son died in his sleep for no known reason. So yes, it could be worse.

Hang in there and help your wife stay positive. I know that is hard to do when you are looking for a job and can't find one. I wish you all the best.
What a reality check this post just gave me. There are some really amazing people behind these cars. even the ones who have lost loved ones and their dream cars.

Deanski. I have this 2 cents for you. You love to drive. You love reading about these cars. I have yet to buy one, but I have passion and love for Porsche. maybe the time away from the brand may remind you how great you had it. And then get back into the brand. Maybe an older 911? Let's create a positive thread about what your next car might be. Hell, how about the BASE Boxster? You need a stick shift or PDK? Leases on those boxsters are low 400-500 now...

Quick Reply: Loosing my Porsche