Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in my 997s for a Nissan GTR.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Eric, there are some sick titanium exhausts out there (Mine's for one) that will definitely improve the sound. Please provide updates (maybe in the OT section?) for those of us curious about the GT-R.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:30 AM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
This has to be one of the fugliest cars ever made:

*** end looks like a Chevy Cobalt:

Front end:

Looks like a Honda, but not as nice:

Edgy lines like a Caddy but not as nice:

Bottom line: I would be embarrassed to be seen driving this POS.
Ben I agree it's not as beautiful as a 911 but the thing is a beast.

I drove one a couple weeks ago and I was impressed. The acceleration was staggering. I couldn't believe it. Brakes were good. Cabin felt a bit confining given the high beltline. At $80k it's a bargain.

For me, however, I'd take a 911 C2 any day. Steering feedback and brakes are better. Acceleration isn't as brutal but with our pathetic speed limits it isn't much of an issue.

I came away highly impressed.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:37 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

OK gents...in the words of Ari, let;s all just "hug it out, bitches." In the first place, NO ONE was making fun of asian people...we were tossing barbs at asian cars in general....there is a huge difference. I think we're OK doing that, as first and foremost this is a porsche board. I for one joined this forum a) to learn more about porsches, b) to meet other people that have these cars, c) to have a place to ask mechanical / cosmetic questions, etc. I did not join it to hear about other cars, why people are switching, etc., and that got me a tad annoyed I guess. In the future, I will simply ignore any post that starts with "Guess what...

Second, it was not until Akim went postal and crossed the line that I stupidly responded the way that I did to him with the OC comment. It was a blatant generalization and for that I apologize. That said, his language, despite his f/u post, was way out of line given the context of the thread.

Have a good day. BTW, in all seriousness, OP, enjoy the car. You work hard for your money, and should be able to spend it any way that you want.

Cole
Old 09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
othomasjr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not siding either way, but a girl here at work saw what I was looking at and she said (on her own accord) it looked like a cross between a corvette and an altima. I don't know that I agree, but it was still a very interesting observation for me coming from a woman he doesn't know cars.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:18 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats. I'm waiting for prices to settle and for Nissan to (hopefully) offer a traditional manual. I loved my 997S but frankly, I enjoy driving my Evo X more (And it's faster to boot). I can't wait to hear your driving impressions after owning it for a while.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by eric997s
Thanks! First off I will refrain from responding to several on here who unfortunately give Porsche owners a very bad name. Truly pathetic.

To the others, well I have had the car for 24 hours give or take and about 100 miles. First impressions?

1. My wife said it perfectly tonight, "This thing is a beast." It definitely is. It is a very visceral ride, much like the Porsche. Extremely mechanical, very focused. The car just wants to go! I have only taken it to 3500-4000rpm with very little boost at all. The engine seems to be very flexible and willing to cruise at 1100 rpm in 6th gear. In automatic mode the car is in 6th gear by 35mph! Very weird!

2. It is big! The Porsche was extremely intimate. I loved that. The Nissan, although very cozy on the inside, is certainly bigger on the outside. I will definitely have to get used to that.

3. The seats are very good, however, I still give the nod to the Porsche in this department. I had the adaptive sport seats in the 911. I haven't found the perfect seating position yet. I do like the suede inserts in the GT-R. Both cars have great dashboards with large center mounted tachs which I love.

4. The transmission is a lot of fun. I thought I would really miss a clutch pedal. I do, yes, but this transmission is awesome! Make no mistake, it is definitely deliberate! And noisy! But kind of cool in a mechanical way. Fortunately, I still have my 6spd 335i for my manual cravings.

5. The build quality seems to be awesome so far! Panel fit is great! Paint seems to be high quality, although it pales in comparison to the GT Silver on the 911. I guess that isn't totally a fair comparison. Interior quality is spectacular. It is very businesslike. It will be interesting to see how the new 911 infotainment stacks up to the Nissan, because it better be good. The nav, bluetooth, xm, full ipod integration is awesome in the GT-R. The porsche was so far behind in this category.

6. The ride is stiff, even in comfort mode. But not oppressive. It feels very good on the highway. The long wheelbase seems to help some in the ride department.

7. How does it sound? Well I was little worried that it would sound like a Pathfinder, or an Altima, or a Frontier, or well, any other Nissan with a V6. A little truck like I guess. Fortunately, the GT-R seems to sound a little better. I of course, haven't wrung it out yet. So I will withhold judgement. I hold a very large place in my heart for the sound of the 911 from 5000-7200rpm. I don't think anything will top that.

8. I think in the first 24 hours, I have had more interest in this car from bystanders, people in other cars, animals, etc. than the three years of ownership in the Porsche. You can't hide in this car. It is so funny seeing people go out of their way to follow you in this car.

Well that's all I can ramble about right now. I miss the Porsche greatly. I know I will own another someday. But for me, it was a somewhat rare opportunity to own a pretty cool car. After the first day, I am pretty pleased. I absolutely can't wait to take it to VIR! This thing will see plenty of track time!

Take care. Pictures to come shortly.

Eric
'09 GT-R
'07 335i
Good on you.

The GT-R is not my cup of tea but it is an amazing sports car no matter what the price and an astonishing deal at anywhere near MSRP.

I hope you have many happy, safe, fun miles and I welcome your continued posts with your impressions of the car.

I love my Porsche... and wouldn't trade it for just about anything else... but I'm a car enthusiast first and foremost.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by prsdoc
I respectfully disagree, likemystoppie. Words, although perhaps not intended as such, can be abusive and hurtful. Would it be great to just look beyond it, or perhaps not even see it in the first place? Of course. I don't post often, but I felt some of the comments on this thread warranted an appropriate reply. If, for example, a member posted on this board n-this or n-that, I don't think there would be much tolerance for it. So by that same logic, it shouldn't be ok to diss on asians or any other ethnic group. Just because we're all adults and grown up, doesn't mean we get a pass to behave poorly in society. In addition, no one is claiming victimization, so there is no 'race' card. Just a simple point of life - try not to be or act like a douchebag.

And btw, I do like your stoppie! nice!

Prsdoc- now THAT was a great way to 'respectfully' disagree! I def. could take some notes on how to 'disarm' someone when making a point!

And thanks.....the stoppie was during my more -brave days...... *sigh*

Originally Posted by cole328
OK gents...in the words of Ari, let;s all just "hug it out, bitches."

Cole

haha

See? We're all good here!!

Ps> when I drove the GT-R, I experienced all sorts of -techno-wizardry sounds- going on. Eric did you hear the same??

I must admit. I LOVE IT. Reminds me (oddly enough) of my Honda RC51. I loved hearing her Cam Gears Whine when I was twisting the throttle. I feel like I'm driving a 'real machine'!

Like Chris said, I'm sure there's some kick *** exhuast systems out there. Really make her sound scary!!

pps. I'm jealous. ya bastid!!
Old 09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Dave I
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Congrats. I'm waiting for prices to settle and for Nissan to (hopefully) offer a traditional manual. I loved my 997S but frankly, I enjoy driving my Evo X more (And it's faster to boot). I can't wait to hear your driving impressions after owning it for a while.
Uh oh, more sacrilege...another Porsche enthusiast declaring a Japanese car is worthy of any praise...

j/k, fyi I am also an Evo owner...
Old 09-11-2008, 01:32 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Likemystoppie?
I think it's a neat looking SOB...........
Originally Posted by Moderato
The GTR has no clutch pedal option and IMO it's way too angular. Those two things keep me from being interested, despite it's amazing performance. Hard to believe the GTR can hang with a 997 GT2 though.
I'm not directing this only at you but...

How can it be 'way too angular'? Way too angular for your tastes maybe. That's design...it's subjective. It would be like saying the Guggenheim in Bilbao is 'too curvy' or that the Eiffel tower is 'too pointy'.

If you don't like the look of it that's fine. I do. Some others appear to as well.

In the end it is compared to Porsche because Porsche is the ultimate in many people's minds. You can bet Stuttgart will be thinking about the GT-R's performance when they do the next Turbo and that should make the new TT even more bonkers than it is.

The GT-R is groudbreaking and competition is a good thing.

[end rant]
Old 09-11-2008, 02:19 PM
nicoff
Racer

I think in the first 24 hours, I have had more interest in this car from bystanders, people in other cars, animals, etc. than the three years of ownership in the Porsche. You can't hide in this car. It is so funny seeing people go out of their way to follow you in this car.
I can vouch for that too (except for the animals part). Parked on the street, strangers surround the car and take pictures, peer through the windows, etc. People follow you around and at stop lights ask you about the car and give you thumbs up. Many of them know about the GT-R; but also often, they don't but like the way the car looks. I have NEVER got that kind of attention in the 996 or 997.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
The GT-R is groudbreaking and competition is a good thing.

[end rant]
Perhaps the most spot on comment in this entire thread!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:48 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Thanks! First off I will refrain from responding to several on here who unfortunately give Porsche owners a very bad name. Truly pathetic.

To the others, well I have had the car for 24 hours give or take and about 100 miles. First impressions?

1. My wife said it perfectly tonight, "This thing is a beast." It definitely is. It is a very visceral ride, much like the Porsche. Extremely mechanical, very focused. The car just wants to go! I have only taken it to 3500-4000rpm with very little boost at all. The engine seems to be very flexible and willing to cruise at 1100 rpm in 6th gear. In automatic mode the car is in 6th gear by 35mph! Very weird!

2. It is big! The Porsche was extremely intimate. I loved that. The Nissan, although very cozy on the inside, is certainly bigger on the outside. I will definitely have to get used to that.

3. The seats are very good, however, I still give the nod to the Porsche in this department. I had the adaptive sport seats in the 911. I haven't found the perfect seating position yet. I do like the suede inserts in the GT-R. Both cars have great dashboards with large center mounted tachs which I love.

4. The transmission is a lot of fun. I thought I would really miss a clutch pedal. I do, yes, but this transmission is awesome! Make no mistake, it is definitely deliberate! And noisy! But kind of cool in a mechanical way. Fortunately, I still have my 6spd 335i for my manual cravings.

5. The build quality seems to be awesome so far! Panel fit is great! Paint seems to be high quality, although it pales in comparison to the GT Silver on the 911. I guess that isn't totally a fair comparison. Interior quality is spectacular. It is very businesslike. It will be interesting to see how the new 911 infotainment stacks up to the Nissan, because it better be good. The nav, bluetooth, xm, full ipod integration is awesome in the GT-R. The porsche was so far behind in this category.

6. The ride is stiff, even in comfort mode. But not oppressive. It feels very good on the highway. The long wheelbase seems to help some in the ride department.

7. How does it sound? Well I was little worried that it would sound like a Pathfinder, or an Altima, or a Frontier, or well, any other Nissan with a V6. A little truck like I guess. Fortunately, the GT-R seems to sound a little better. I of course, haven't wrung it out yet. So I will withhold judgement. I hold a very large place in my heart for the sound of the 911 from 5000-7200rpm. I don't think anything will top that.

8. I think in the first 24 hours, I have had more interest in this car from bystanders, people in other cars, animals, etc. than the three years of ownership in the Porsche. You can't hide in this car. It is so funny seeing people go out of their way to follow you in this car.

Well that's all I can ramble about right now. I miss the Porsche greatly. I know I will own another someday. But for me, it was a somewhat rare opportunity to own a pretty cool car. After the first day, I am pretty pleased. I absolutely can't wait to take it to VIR! This thing will see plenty of track time!

Take care. Pictures to come shortly.

Eric
'09 GT-R
'07 335i
Enjoy the gtr in good health...great performance for the money...I got to drive a friends gtr last week...very fast on the road, at least up to the 80mph that i took it to...great handling, esp for a car this big and heavy...the steering feel is good, but not porsche, Ferrari or BMW good...engine sound is only so - so, not as good as the 911 and not even close to any Ferrari.....also, keep in mind that the gtr has low gearing and launch control for very fast get aways and its advantage over some other sports cars decreases above 100mph ...as for looks, certainly not beautiful flowing italian lines but to each their own.....
Old 09-12-2008, 01:59 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck
Ben I agree it's not as beautiful as a 911 but the thing is a beast.

I drove one a couple weeks ago and I was impressed. The acceleration was staggering. I couldn't believe it. Brakes were good. Cabin felt a bit confining given the high beltline. At $80k it's a bargain.

For me, however, I'd take a 911 C2 any day. Steering feedback and brakes are better. Acceleration isn't as brutal but with our pathetic speed limits it isn't much of an issue.

I came away highly impressed.
Those idiots should have hired Italian designers if they really wanted to create a major hit.

For that money I could get a real beast - a Z06 - a better bargain at $70k with great styling, and come out ahead with 10 grand leftover.

It's not always about performance numbers - at least it isn't for me. Like I said, I would be embarrassed, I'm serious, to be seen driving that gawdy poorly styled POS around, no matter how much hp it has.

It reminds me of the station wagon Chevy Chase drove in the Vacation movies:

Old 09-12-2008, 02:17 AM
KeninBlaine
Drifting

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

OCBen: How do you really feel? You need to stop holding back and just open up.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:12 PM
Da Hapa
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen

The Family Truckster. What an automobile that was!

Quick Reply: Trading in my 997s for a Nissan GTR.