Sponsored by:

Trading in my 997s for a Nissan GTR.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 06:30 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by OCBen
Like I said, I would be embarrassed, I'm serious, to be seen driving that gawdy poorly styled POS around, no matter how much hp it has.
You're too old for that car dude, seriously.
Old 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 9974G
You're too old for that car dude, seriously.
Even a teenager with some amount of intelligence can clearly see that a 911 or a Corvette is more beautiful than this ugly POS.

Age has nothing at all to do with being able to distinguish beautiful and graceful curves from jagged, disharmonious, discordant broken lines adorned with garish, gaudy features.

It's like trying to compare a Rembrandt with a cheesy Velvet Elvis - but one small thing, there is just no comparison here at all. Of course to someone raised in a trailer park the Velvet Elvis may indeed look just as beautiful as a Rembrandt.

So I'm not surprised that there are those who think this ugly POS is actually good looking. Apparently you happen to fall in that group. And that's okay.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:59 PM
9974G
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
Even a teenager with some amount of intelligence can clearly see that a 911 or a Corvette is more beautiful than this ugly POS.

Age has nothing at all to do with being able to distinguish beautiful and graceful curves from jagged, disharmonious, discordant broken lines adorned with garish, gaudy features.

It's like trying to compare a Rembrandt with a cheesy Velvet Elvis - but one small thing, there is just no comparison here at all. Of course to someone raised in a trailer park the Velvet Elvis may indeed look just as beautiful as a Rembrandt.

So I'm not surprised that there are those who think this ugly POS is actually good looking. Apparently you happen to fall in that group. And that's okay.
hmm...let me explain it in another way:
a man in a suit looks more classy than a man in a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers. but, you don't see teenagers wearing suits everywhere. it doesn't necessarily mean none of them have class.

i've never thought the gt-r is very good looking. it looks like a cartoonish robot. my good words for it are not based on the way it looks, rather, the way it performs. the 911 is hands down a lot better looking, no doubt about it (again, this is subjective, but more people would agree with this statement vs. the other way around)

let me try one more analogy:
a very hot looking woman is who you want to marry. but an average looking gal that's very good under the sheets is sometimes fun to bang just for the fun of it. agreed?
Old 09-12-2008, 10:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default yawn.......

Old 09-12-2008, 11:08 PM
MartyB
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Hapa
The Family Truckster. What an automobile that was!
"Hey Clark, you look like you could use a cool one"

[Ed hands Clark a half empty beer and gets himself a cold one]

That's good stuff right there.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:55 PM
Moderato
Racer

Originally Posted by NinetyOneC2
I'm not directing this only at you but...

How can it be 'way too angular'? Way too angular for your tastes maybe. That's design...it's subjective. It would be like saying the Guggenheim in Bilbao is 'too curvy' or that the Eiffel tower is 'too pointy'.

If you don't like the look of it that's fine. I do. Some others appear to as well.

In the end it is compared to Porsche because Porsche is the ultimate in many people's minds. You can bet Stuttgart will be thinking about the GT-R's performance when they do the next Turbo and that should make the new TT even more bonkers than it is.

The GT-R is groudbreaking and competition is a good thing.

[end rant]
You're right, it is just my opinion that the car is too angular and my opinion is subjective but let me ask you this, does the GTR have angles all over the place when you look at it?

I've never been to the Guggenheim in Bilbao but the one in NYC was a huge let down for me. I think the Met is 10x better. Once again though that's subjective, I do realize that.

My fondness for a clutch pedal is also subjective. I like to row my own gears, some would prefer a computer to do it.

On thing I can say though and I really mean this: my opinions are just that. I actually like the variety that is everyone's tastes, the way I look at is, if everyone thought and acted like I did then the world would be a very boring place.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:09 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

I think most teenagers will describe the GT-R as "Badass", "That's Fu**ing hot!", or "Hot Sh*t" and I don't think the word "beautiful" would be used at all. A Porsche for them is "Nice", "Cool", and they might actually use the word "beautiful".

oh by the way, I think my 300C SRT8 looks "Badass" and my 997 is "beautiful"
Old 09-13-2008, 08:44 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

OK, japanese wannabee cars are now thing, but if we now start talking about chryslers, Hemi's and all sorts of other american crap, I may have to go postal....
Old 09-13-2008, 09:28 AM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

To each his own but it looks like a transformer to me.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

All I can say is the GT-R must be one hell of a car to stir up such emotions. If it sucked, people wouldn't care...

I still want to drive a DFI 997.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:04 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 439 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali
All I can say is the GT-R must be one hell of a car to stir up such emotions. If it sucked, people wouldn't care...

I still want to drive a DFI 997.
It certainly has stirred up emotion in the p-car forums!

Anybody else remember when the Z06 was launched how we had the exact same threads as the GT-R?

1) Yes the GT-R is as fast as a 997 TT in most situations.
2) Yes, most Porsche owners find it brutally ugly.
3) The cars are apples and oranges in my mind.

If the OP had posted "I'm trading my 997 for a 430" then people would say things like, "congrats," "let us know how awesome it is," "enjoy it and keep visiting Rennlist - you'll be back."

So, to you select folks, please resecure your masculinity (I have mine and I can even display HK in my avatar!). Live and let live.

And Chris,....those DFI's should be hitting your side of the country soon enough. Are you ancy? Tell your dealer you want to go for a test drive Friday afternoon, then show up with your wife and a weekend suitcase!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:12 AM
MLindgren
Three Wheelin'

Funny how in a GT-R thread the comments are "too angular" and "looks too much like a transformer" but when you go to the Gallardo thread none of the same statements exist when the car is far more angular and transformer like.

I for one like to see how the competition fares against our beloved Porsches as I think they may serve as the benchmark for Porsche in future models. Not that I would consider the GT-R as a replacement to the 997 but would certainly consider it as a likely addition far ahead of a Z06.

My .05

For the record I do not use or need to use my 997 as a p*ssy magnet to lure young dumb gold diggers.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:17 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
To each his own but it looks like a transformer to me.
I'm thinking Deceptigon!!!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:17 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by MLindgren
Funny how in a GT-R thread the comments are "too angular" and "looks too much like a transformer" but when you go to the Gallardo thread none of the same statements exist when the car is far more angular and transformer like.

I for one like to see how the competition fares against our beloved Porsches as I think they may serve as the benchmark for Porsche in future models. Not that I would consider the GT-R as a replacement to the 997 but would certainly consider it as a likely addition far ahead of a Z06.

My .05

For the record I do not use or need to use my 997 as a p*ssy magnet to lure young dumb gold diggers.
The Gallardo IS ugly! Or kinda like an MR2 with a body kit. eck!

Looking like an Transformer though...now that's COOL;-)
Old 09-13-2008, 12:40 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I think most teenagers will describe the GT-R as "Badass", "That's Fu**ing hot!", or "Hot Sh*t" and I don't think the word "beautiful" would be used at all. A Porsche for them is "Nice", "Cool", and they might actually use the word "beautiful".
I qualified the type of teenager who would prefer the 911 or the Corvette.

I wouldn't describe most teenagers as cerebral.

Quick Reply: Trading in my 997s for a Nissan GTR.