Sponsored by:

It's here! 2009 Porsche 997's

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 06:33 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jjl
I agree that they don't really look like lobster forks, that's just the name that seems to have stuck, i personally love these wheels and think the new version suck, at least in pics. these were unique wheels that to me, fit the 997 really well, it had the german industrial-ethos thing going for it.
Oh, I thought you were calling the new wheel design in the pics here the new lobster forks when you said "The lobster forks are dead...long live the lobster forks."
Old 06-11-2008, 09:59 PM
ruymoreira
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seen the photos a while ago. not really sold on the new design!
The front looks like a Cayman, the rear lights look awful! Saw some '08 car's with all red rear lights that looked great! someone told the red strip between the rear lights was coming, looking at these new lights guess there doing a "zig zag" thing!

On the inside, the central console looks a lot "cleaner". I like it. Let's just hope it the touchscreen works as promised!

The PDK cars accelerate faster and are more economical but have slightly slower vmax!!! Any ideas why?

Porsche seems to getting on an ongoing trend here in Europe: restyled/facelifted cars are always uglier than the originals!!! I've been calling the "destylings"
Old 06-11-2008, 10:15 PM
cvazquez
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks but no thanks, I'll keep mine for now!

I am not feeling the new facelift, perhaps it will grow on me with time.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:14 PM
plz
Advanced

Originally Posted by ruymoreira
The PDK cars accelerate faster and are more economical but have slightly slower vmax!!! Any ideas why?
Gearing. The PDK 7th gear is an overdrive and vmax is achieved in 6th gear.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:12 PM
OCBen
Banned

If it doesn't involve major surgery I might consider buying the new larger mirrors and swapping them for my current ones after getting them painted Seal Grey.
Old 06-12-2008, 02:53 PM
Ucube
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OCBen
If it doesn't involve major surgery I might consider buying the new larger mirrors and swapping them for my current ones after getting them painted Seal Grey.
Ben, you like the new "Dumbo ears?" I know they're more functional visibility-wise, but the larger shape looks a bit weird with the rest of the car. I prefer the pre-facelifted sleeker mirrors.
Old 06-12-2008, 03:00 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Ucube
Ben, you like the new "Dumbo ears?" I know they're more functional visibility-wise, but the larger shape looks a bit weird with the rest of the car. I prefer the pre-facelifted sleeker mirrors.
I prefer to call them Lambo ears.

For some oddball reason there was a significant reduction in the size of the mirrors when the 911 went from the 996 to the 997.

It looks like they corrected that misstep and restored the size back to where it was with the 996 - a more functional size.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:06 PM
OCBen
Banned

What's funny is that in the voiceover of that video (linked in that other thread) the announcer goes on lavishing praise on the new redesigned 911, talking about how visibility was improved by increasing the size of the side mirrors.

That's marketing hype for you. Always talking about the improvements they made.

If they were really honest they'd say, "Yeah, we f*cked up on the first go around when we tinkered with the size of the mirrors. Our bad. But we restored them to where they should have been all along. "
Old 06-12-2008, 04:39 PM
ruymoreira
7th Gear

Originally Posted by plz
Gearing. The PDK 7th gear is an overdrive and vmax is achieved in 6th gear.

been looking at the specs! Only 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear have different ratios! shorter in 2nd, higher in 3rd and 4th (pdk vs. manual)! all other gears have the same ratio! final drive are equal!
maybe pdk makes the car heavier??? or pdk has more mechanical drag comparing to manual?!
Old 06-12-2008, 07:28 PM
JOL
Advanced

Anyone know when the C4S version will be out?
Old 06-12-2008, 08:34 PM
lgascoig
Racer

Well I got a nice phone call from my dealer letting me know that they got a PDK allocation for September; unfortunately I didn't want to wait for paint to sample so no Mexico Blue for me. I ordered:

2009 Carrera S
Guards Red
Black interior
Sports seats leather
Self-dimming mirrors
PDK
Sport chrono plus
Heated seats
Floor mats interior color
Steering wheel in alcantara <- Porsche said they're not offering, so ended up not making it into my order.
Navigation module for PCM
Universal audio adapter

They're going to let me know when my order has been accepted, but he thinks I'll be able to take delivery before the end of the year. Woot! No pricing yet for all of the options (like PDK) but based on the UK pricing it should only be ~$760 more than tip was last year (knock on wood).

Last edited by lgascoig; 06-13-2008 at 02:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2008, 09:03 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by JOL
Anyone know when the C4S version will be out?
Is there an echo in here?

lol j/k!! ( October release. Order by August for Oct. delivery).
Old 06-12-2008, 10:38 PM
vixapphire
Advanced

Question: is the new touchscreen center stack a standard item, where the nav etc. costs extra to have "activated"? Or is it still possible to get a non-"bigscreen" radio/CD player in its place like on the outgoing design?

there's nothing worse than a touchscreen after a few months/years of frequent use on some of the "buttons"... unless it's got a glass or hardsurface overlay, i reckon these won't be very handsome for very long.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:40 AM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by vixapphire
Question: is the new touchscreen center stack a standard item, where the nav etc. costs extra to have "activated"? Or is it still possible to get a non-"bigscreen" radio/CD player in its place like on the outgoing design?

there's nothing worse than a touchscreen after a few months/years of frequent use on some of the "buttons"... unless it's got a glass or hardsurface overlay, i reckon these won't be very handsome for very long.
a screen protector should take care of the problem
Old 06-13-2008, 06:56 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

rather have buttons

Quick Reply: It's here! 2009 Porsche 997's