Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wife drinks coffee in the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Tinluver
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Consider yourself lucky.I have a brand new 08 C2 and my wife complains her knees hurt from getting in and out.If a cup of coffee made her comfortable I would cringe but would be glad she was enjoying the car as much as me.(on the other hand maybe I'm better off this way?)
Old 01-20-2008, 09:04 AM
p-cardriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeez, a lot of emotion over spilled milk (with coffee in it).
A couple of thoughts.
1. does she value a really clean and pristine car. If not, you'll be fighting this all up hill. have you found the McDonalds wrappers and stranded fries yet?
2. if she appreciates a clean car, does she know how to detail the interior? A little vacuuming and maybe some scrubbing of the mats and seats, plus getting the sticky off of the cup holder areas might help her appreciate being more careful.
3. If the car is already a mess, you might either get it detailed for her (and leave the receipt where she can see what this costs), or encourage her to get it done herself. Find an excuse like an upcoming event where you want to arrive in style, or a trip that you want to start (or end) clean.
4. coffee, cell phones, iPods, Nav and other distractions are just a part of modern car life, even with a manual transmission. Obviously caution is appropriate when multi-tasking in the car, but we all might as well accept that lots of drivers have lots of things going on in their cars on the roads.
5. If this is really important to you, let her do as she pleases, keep your mouth shut, and detail it yourself for her, perhaps weekly. You get a pristine car to your standards, she gets her coffee.
6. Is this car more important to you than your wife and relationship with her? That might be what she's "hearing" from you.

So, yeah, I think you're being too harsh and unyielding. There are better options, IMO, than arguing over this.

Just my $0.02.

p-cardriver
Old 01-20-2008, 09:07 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 222 Posts

I hate to pigpile on ya jgriff, but I think you need to rethink a few things here. I bought my wife a Cayenne for her birthday last year and I could care less what she eats/drinks in it: it's her car.

I like Bill's idea: get her a travel mug and a gift certificate to SBucks....and maybe an "I'm sorry." I drink a hot beverage EVERY morning in my 911. Get her the Porsche travel mug - I use one and it's great although not very large by U.S. standards!
Old 01-20-2008, 09:19 AM
dndodd
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Damaged cars are easier to fix then Damaged marriages. But I hear your side.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:25 AM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 465 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
Also, her last car was an S2000 and she spilled coffee all over it.
I'm guessing someone didn't learn a valuable lesson from this....

not saying who though.....

Old 01-20-2008, 10:45 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Having a huge fight over coffee? I think you have lost your perspective about what is truly important, but that is a another story.

As others have suggested, get her a travel mug with a sliding seal that will open/close the cup to allow it to be sealed when not in use. That will minimize/eliminate the spills which can occur when the cup is in the cup holders.

When you give her the mug, apologize for getting into the fight about the coffee. Remind her that you are (as many of here are) obsessive about keeping the cars clean and tell her you are working to be a little more mellow in that area (even if you are not).

If that doesn't work, get a divorce, let her have the Cayman and half of your net worth, and revel in the fact that your "coffee issue" will be eliminated!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:02 AM
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 196 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by gota911

If that doesn't work, get a divorce, let her have the Cayman and half of your net worth, and revel in the fact that your "coffee issue" will be eliminated!
Now thats funny.
Old 01-20-2008, 11:12 AM
pred8or
Racer

Its just a car! It should have a cup holder inbetween the seats! I have finally decided to buy a C4S even though I hate the cupholders. Buying brand new and I plan on driving it through the New England winter, with coffee , and with dogs!
Old 01-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
I found out today that she has been going to Starbuck's every morning and driving to work with a huge cup full of coffee and milk......

......It's my car and I pay all the bills.
For a women's perspective, I showed this thread to my wife. Her first reaction uncovered a point not previously made here: "If she is on her way to work, how can he be paying all the bills? Is it volunteer work?"
Old 01-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
For a women's perspective, I showed this thread to my wife. Her first reaction uncovered a point not previously made here: "If she is on her way to work, how can he be paying all the bills? Is it volunteer work?"
I showed the post to my wife and she was horrified!
Old 01-20-2008, 12:59 PM
NYNick
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow Griff! Quite the sacrifice! You're driving a 997S and she's driving a CaymanS instead of you driving a GT3 or Turbo? Sounds a bit one sided to me my friend. I do think you're being unreasonable. It's her DD, and it's a CAR, even though you're paying for it. Putting rules on wives is quite, I don't know, unrealistic? How many rules does she put on you? If you didn't want her to drink coffee in the car, you should've bought her a Pilot(see below, 105k miles, mobile purse). But then again, where does all this rules stuff end? Let her drink her coffee. Pick your battles wisely, my friend.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:06 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I showed this thread to my wife as well.
After reading the 1st post her exact comment was "Wow, what an a$$hole". Then she ranted for awhile about how she hates Rennlist even more now. Then she agreed with most people on the board that a marriage is way more important than a stupid car.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:06 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick in Colorado
That is a GREAT observation.
Old 01-20-2008, 01:18 PM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

You could buy her a house next...........in close proximity to her office. "Now that you only have a 5-minute commute, can the coffeee wait till you get out of the car?"
Old 01-20-2008, 01:31 PM
WAC
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with your concern about the safety issue of driving with a big cup of coffee. But, not trying to me mean to you here but I think you've got bigger problems to deal with than spilled coffee. Perhaps you already realized that when you posted. The attitude that someone can dictate to another adult their behaviour based on a marital relationship, financial provision or "gift" of transportation is at least a generation out of date.

Quick Reply: Wife drinks coffee in the car