Sponsored by:

Wife drinks coffee in the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 10:26 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Convince her to drink cappuccino rather than coffee. There is a lot less liquid in the cup, & so it is MUCH less likely to spill.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:29 PM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Just get her a fancy Starbucks commuter mug with a flip top lid
Old 01-19-2008, 10:32 PM
roberga
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being on our 30th year my advice is let it go. no drinks in the 911 but forget about her car. look at the big picture
Old 01-19-2008, 10:37 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, good advice from you guys. I think I'll take her to Starbucks and buy her a "present". One of those non-spill cups and maybe a coffee maker so she'll drink it at home.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:39 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

When your done with the car a good detail and all is good...
Old 01-19-2008, 10:40 PM
mglobe
The Penguin King
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
OK, good advice from you guys. I think I'll take her to Starbucks and buy her a "present". One of those non-spill cups and maybe a coffee maker so she'll drink it at home.
A basic rule of life. Never ever buy a woman something that plugs in.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:45 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by mglobe
A basic rule of life. Never ever buy a woman something that plugs in.
Unless it vibrates and plugs in because it is cheaper than replacing the batteries all the time.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:47 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

This is a lose situation for you in my opinion.

My suggestion:
Sell the Cayman.
Lease her another one that she can do anything she wants in.
Lease her a new clean one every 2-3 years.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:48 PM
cello
Three Wheelin'

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by fb47243
Also....remember. Once you give a gift it is no longer yours. Might want to mention that in your conversation with her as well so she knows it is her car and you are not trying to control her. They don't like that.
Wise advise that.

Look, you married her, so there is an assumption that you would trust her (if not with your life - as it should be - then with some material asset whatever the cost, no??).

I get you are 'making conversation' with this post, but i think you are already know the right response (right?? ).

That said, I also understand stretching a point in the 'ongoing negotiations' that is marriage

Warn now and when she (inevitably) ruins the interior, say i told you so and buy the GT3 or 2 (depending upon how far you can push the point)
Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 PM
nkhalidi
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
My question is not about marriage so much as it is this. Do you think it is a good idea to drive around in a Porsche with a std. transmission and a full cup of coffee? I don't think anyone can say it is.
Well I'm not going to say it's a "good idea" to drive around with a full cup of coffee, but the car does have cupholders. Don't let this devolve into a me v. her argument; you and your wife simply have different sets of priorities and interests when it comes to cars. Not a big deal.

Personally, I drive around with hot and cold drinks all the time, no matter what car. Automatics are great because I can keep the cup in my right hand (not kidding). Starbucks drinks are a little iffy because of the soft-sided cups, but they do fit in the cupholder safely provided that you drive carefully. The bottled mochaccino (or whatever they're called) drinks are also a good way to get a caffeine fix with a screw-on top for decreased possibility of spillage; I like to drink one of those on the way to the track on early mornings.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Trade her in!
Old 01-19-2008, 11:21 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Like I said. We've been through this before with her other car and I can tell you, once you've spilled a completely full venti cup of coffee with cream in it the car is never the same. The only way to fix it is to buy new seats. I told her before I gave her the car that she could not have drinks in it but she is doing it anyway. I've made plenty of compromises for her and I don't think this is a big thing to give up. Bottom line I gave up a GT3, she can give up coffee on the way to work. She has a choice, coffee or a Porsche, not both. I'll be glad to buy her a civic. Some of you guys may think I'm a jerk but sometimes you have to stand up for yourself. I don't have to let her push me around.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Eharrison
Nordschleife Master

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you came to an agreement and she broke it them you could "possibly" re-negotiate. But look at it this way. You really need to let the little crap go. Do you think that you would be bitchen about her drinking coffee in the fricken car if she came home today and said she's pregnant or has cancer? I think you made a crappy agreement in regards to coffee and a Porsche. Let it go, SHE owns the car not you (you may pay for it but the condition of the car reflects the driver, not the owner and it's her car.)

I spent 36K for a SUV for my wife and she has destroyed the thing, (the kids did really but whatever.) I was pissed but it made me understand that I'm not interested in getting her a nice SUV/whatever again for a while.

Keep her in the car for 10 years. She's the one sitting in curdled milk, not you.
Old 01-19-2008, 11:52 PM
Kevin K
Instructor

I'd rather have a happy wife and risk a possible drop of coffee or two. Scotch guard the mats and carpet, put a cloth on the seat and what's the worst that will happen?

I don't know if you have kids yet, but jeez, just wait until they begin getting close to your furniture, car interiors, etc.

Now if you really want to hear a worrisome tale, I bought my brand new 997 with a stick. Wow, turns out my wife had never ever driven a stick and thus would not be able to drive my car - who knew, right?

Now she's bugging me to teach her. I sure as hell won't do that in the 997, so she expects me to rent a stick shift so that she can learn and then she'll be able to drive my car. Love my wife, but that's not going to happen either.

So it's all relative, A happy wife is worth a lot as we all know because an unhappy wife is a nightmare. I'd risk coffee spills to keep her happy, but a clutch - well, no.

Kevin
Old 01-19-2008, 11:53 PM
shlbrn
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default preventive medicine

Being a OCD candidate I truly understand your position, nothing bugs me more than anyone not taking care of things especially high value things. To some of us our pcars are much more than 4 wheels and a few pedals. BUT, if you push this you might get ready to sign the papers for the car over to her along with the divorce decree. Probably a lot cheaper to buy her a new car every few years to ruin the way she chooses than monthly payments that you will never see the benefit of....good luck and breathe.

Deacon

Quick Reply: Wife drinks coffee in the car