Sponsored by:

Wife drinks coffee in the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:36 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wife drinks coffee in the car

As some of you know I just got a 2006 997S and gave my wife my 2007 Cayman S. I found out today that she has been going to Starbuck's every morning and driving to work with a huge cup full of coffee and milk. I told her before I gave her the car that there were no drinks allowed. We got in a huge fight and I told her that I'll trade the car in on a Civic if she doesn't stop getting coffee every morning. She's really angry and refuses to give in. Am I in the wrong here? It's my car and I pay all the bills. Do you guys think it's reasonable to ask that she not drink coffee in the car?
Old 01-19-2008, 09:38 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

good luck with that!
Old 01-19-2008, 09:41 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

Also, her last car was an S2000 and she spilled coffee all over it.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:44 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You asked so.......once you gave her the car it's her's to do as she pleases. However, I agree that Starbucks and Porsches just don't work. Also, consider if the car issue is big enough to strain your marriage.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:46 PM
Rick in Colorado
Instructor

Originally Posted by jgriffCS
It's my car and I pay all the bills. Do you guys think it's reasonable to ask that she not drink coffee in the car?
I'm fairly OCD, but I still drink canned beverages in my car - I'm just not a coffee drinker. My wife eats/drinks in hers, but respects mine. I don't think that you'll get far with the "it's my car, I pay the bills" argument - marriage is a partnership regardless of the bread-winner.

I suggest the compromise be your (assigned) car, your rules. Her (assigned) car, her rules.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:49 PM
MartyB
Racer

I have that rule with my 3 year old, but if I ever imposed it on my wife, especially in a car that I "gave" her, I would have a very low expectation of a civil or even tolerable outcome. Now, if my wife was known to trash cars, I would not encourage her to drive an expensive one. If she was to borrow my expensive car, I might consider asking her politely not to drink coffee in it, but me making a "rule" for her car - never gonna happen.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If she's using the car as a daily driver, then you can't expect it to be perfect - that's exactly why I don't use my Porsche for that purpose. If she trashes her cars, then it's your mistake to have offered the Cayman in the first place if you want it to remain pristine. If she must have her coffee in the car in the morning, just rationally ask her to be careful - more careful than she was with the S2000. I bet you were pissed when that happened - why do you expect her to change her coffee habit now that you gave her the Cayman? Right now, you've got her backed into the corner here - so she's getting really defensive. Not sure I blame her.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:56 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

I think if you're going to drive a $70k car you should be a little responsible. It's also a safety issue, you shouldn't be driving a std. transmission car and drinking coffee. There's really not a lot I can do about because she can just keep doing it without me knowing. The best thing I can do right now is buy a thermos for her and hope she uses it.
Old 01-19-2008, 09:57 PM
malammik
Racer

For better or worse. Starbucks DOES have flat lids if you ask for them. The dome ones are a recipe for disaster. I often get a cup and put in the cupholder but never actually drink it while driving.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:00 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

I just think it shows a real lack of respect. I sacraficed getting a new GT3 or Turbo so we could have two Porsches and she won't sacrafice coffee on the way to work? Maybe it was my mistake giving it to her and I should just take it away.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:05 PM
fb47243
Too Old To Remember My First Time
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=jgriffCS;5004001] It's my car and I pay all the bills. QUOTE]

Last time I checked, relationships were 50/50 propositions. So you own her because you pay all the bills? Someone this selfish should never have gotten married in the first place. So you want to hurt her feelings, make her feel inferior to you because of a cup of coffee? Its just a car. She is a human. Get over it.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM
jgriffCS
Advanced

[QUOTE=fb47243;5004077]
Originally Posted by jgriffCS
It's my car and I pay all the bills. QUOTE]

Last time I checked, relationships were 50/50 propositions. So you own her because you pay all the bills? Someone this selfish should never have gotten married in the first place. So you want to hurt her feelings, make her feel inferior to you because of a cup of coffee? Its just a car. She is a human. Get over it.

Remember, I gave her a $70k car. I don't think that qualifies as selfish. She has to give 50/50 also. Marriage is about compromises, that means she has to compromise too. I think asking her to take care of the things I pay for is not too much too ask for. My question is not about marriage so much as it is this. Do you think it is a good idea to drive around in a Porsche with a std. transmission and a full cup of coffee? I don't think anyone can say it is.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:16 PM
John Velasco
Burning Brakes

Like I said " Good luck with that". Coffee like Porsche's are drugs and we all have the addiction don't we?
Old 01-19-2008, 10:23 PM
fb47243
Lifetime Rennlist

[QUOTE=jgriffCS;5004102]
Originally Posted by fb47243

Remember, I gave her a $70k car. I don't think that qualifies as selfish. She has to give 50/50 also. Marriage is about compromises, that means she has to compromise too. I think asking her to take care of the things I pay for is not too much too ask for. My question is not about marriage so much as it is this. Do you think it is a good idea to drive around in a Porsche with a std. transmission and a full cup of coffee? I don't think anyone can say it is.
I agree. It is not a good idea at all. Nothing good can become of it. Now to get her to see this point. I like the idea of a nice closeable secure thermos and a gift cert to Starbucks along with a request from you something along the lines of that you care so much about her safety (and sure honey I dont want a mess in the car either) but I think this is a solution....yada yada yada....just work it out. Keep the love in the conversation and anger out. They like that kinda stuff.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:25 PM
fb47243
Lifetime Rennlist

Also....remember. Once you give a gift it is no longer yours. Might want to mention that in your conversation with her as well so she knows it is her car and you are not trying to control her. They don't like that.

Quick Reply: Wife drinks coffee in the car